Honda Odyssey Forum banner

blue smoke on start up help

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  equaboi 
#1 ·
i got blue smoke on first startup of the day it was only during hard accel before now on startup it goes away after it warms up i added a treatment that for seals but the problem is still there any ideas or should i start looking for a new motor it has 195000 its a 97 ex

#4 ·
Oil comes in the combustion chamber 3 places. Rings, Valves, and through vacuum path.

If it is the vacuum path some things might be culprit like a PCV valve stuck open, or excess blowby.

If it comes through the valves you need new seats. Easy to replace just time consuming.

If it comes through the rings then that sucks for you. Rebuild the bottom end or look for a motor swap.

Something that works for a band-aid solution is to use a thicker weight oil. Or you can add the oil additives that thicken your oil. I dont recommend additives.

What you need to do is perform a leakdown test. This will tell you where you are loosing compression by oil seeping in.

#5 ·
I have the same problem with my 95. I changed the valve stem seals. No change in smoke or oil consumption. i checked the compression, and it was perfect. My van burned a litre every 500km. Then I used Auto Rx and cut my oil consumption to a litre every 1000km and cut down on the smoke. Oh ya I changed the PCV valve before the Auto Rx and still burned oil. I think the oil control rings get carboned up on these engins. Oil gets by the rings and is burned then the van smokes. I am only 500km into the rinse phase so it can still get better yet. I am going to do another treatment in the future.

#6 ·
Compression test doesn't tell you much about oil seepage. For example I had a Miata motor with almost 300k miles that on avg 10 psi above new OEM values. This was because of carbon buildup. I cleaned the carbon out of the rings and then i lost an average of around 40 psi per cyl. Then the car burned oil like crazy after that.

The rule is don't disturb the carbon around the rings if that is the reason why you have a decent compression on a old motor. You either leave it or hone the walls and add new rings.

#7 ·
thanks for all the input guys the van is a family hauler at the moment and i had plans of going full vip in the futuer when i lose the stroller and carseats but if its a common problem i don't want to put a band-aid on it i want to upgrade instead of repair if the price difference is not to great . ive seen a few swaps on here what would be the most straight forward with decent hp gains and keeps the drivability of the van near oem i don't wanna sound like a civic when i go down the road nothing wrong with it but not what i'm looking for . thanks again in advance for the help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.