Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2013 Touring Elite in late October for a 2018 Elite. Almost from the start I had frequent complaints from people I called using the car's Bluetooth interface that they could not understand what I was saying. I had no problem hearing them clearly. Never had any such problem with my 2008 or 2013 Odyssey. Problem is not due to cell phone signal strength; it occurs in areas of good signal strength and in same areas I had previously made calls on my former Odysseys. Problem cleared up when I switched over to the handset (thanks for that button, Honda!) Even happened when I was talking to 911 and a deputy directly, when I was about 2 miles from a Verizon tower. Switching over to the handset directly eliminated the problem. I complained to the selling dealer and they could not immediately duplicate the problem but said it MIGHT be a defective microphone in the overhead console. I took it in to the dealer and they said they replaced the mic and to try it to see if the problem persisted. It did. The dealer has no clue as to what the problem is (no technical or service bulletins on this problem). I am supposed to take it back to the dealer and leave it with them for a few days to see if they can figure out what the problem is.
I am wondering if any 2018 owners (or even owners of older Odysseys) have experienced a similar problem? Not to wish anyone bad luck, but it would help if someone else has experienced a similar problem and could tell me what was done to alleviate it. :huh:Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a 2018 Elite and have the same problem as you with the person Im talking to on the phone with the car's bluetooth doesnt understand what I am saying and voice sounds garbled. I can hear them fine on my end though. Did a hard reset through the infotainment center and now everything works fine.
Ive also have other problems with the infotaiment center glitches like, Cabinwatch Camera error, Auto Windshield wiper going nuts, XM Tuner doesnt work, DVD player would freeze. Dealer had the car for 2 weeks and said they couldnt duplicate the problem and sent it back.
Recently I had the whole system went black on me. Cant see speedometer screen as well as center screen. had to disconnect/reconnect car battery to reset system and all is fine.
My Software version is B1.0.8 although others have reported current version is B1.0.11. But apparently my car says no update is available.
I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Maybe main computer? Software prob?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I also have a 2018 Elite and have the same problem as you with the person Im talking to on the phone with the car's bluetooth doesnt understand what I am saying and voice sounds garbled. I can hear them fine on my end though. Did a hard reset through the infotainment center and now everything works fine.
Ive also have other problems with the infotaiment center glitches like, Cabinwatch Camera error, Auto Windshield wiper going nuts, XM Tuner doesnt work, DVD player would freeze. Dealer had the car for 2 weeks and said they couldnt duplicate the problem and sent it back.
Recently I had the whole system went black on me. Cant see speedometer screen as well as center screen. had to disconnect/reconnect car battery to reset system and all is fine.
My Software version is B1.0.8 although others have reported current version is B1.0.11. But apparently my car says no update is available.
You described verbatim the issues I’m now having with my ‘18 Elite. The whole system going black was ridiculous. And it’s all from this new update. I too, had to reset by battery cable. But that is not something my wife should have to do in the cold with our 9 month old.

The team of engineers for this redesign are complete ****.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also having the Bluetooth issue with my 18 Elite but not any of the other issues. I'm beginning to wonder if this is something unique to the Elite.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting poll. There is no "No, I do not have a problem" choice.

Other threads "turn off wireless and the problems magically go away". I have not had a problem, and do not enable the wireless hotspot, but don't know if that is linked.

FWIW: I use bluetooth audio from a kindle and also bluetooth from phone, and the system seemlessly switches from audio/kindle to phone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Interesting poll. There is no "No, I do not have a problem" choice.

Other threads "turn off wireless and the problems magically go away". I have not had a problem, and do not enable the wireless hotspot, but don't know if that is linked.

FWIW: I use bluetooth audio from a kindle and also bluetooth from phone, and the system seemlessly switches from audio/kindle to phone.
I used to be you, wondering if all these issues were blown out of proportion, as my Odyssey was fine. Then the update happened, and my van is filled with issues.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used to be you, wondering if all these issues were blown out of proportion, as my Odyssey was fine. Then the update happened, and my van is filled with issues.
wow, makes me glad my ex does not think there is an upgrade. I will go slow and hope they fix the problems before I install the firmware update. TY for posting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started this thread and at that time, I was concerned mostly with the telephone interface, as this was the problem I encountered most often, even tonight, after doing a reset to factory defaults just this afternoon. I had a full signal on my S8+ and the store I called could not understand me until I used the "handheld" button and switched to the handheld phone directly. Then, no problem being understood. Be that as it may, that is not the ONLY problem I have experienced. I too have experienced a system "lockup". Last week, when I started the car, I got a prompt that it was processing something and if I wanted to continue, I think. I wish I could remember exactly what it was. Anyway, it was showing the navigation screen only and NOTHING else worked; it was locked up
solid. I drove about 15 miles and cut the car off. When I restarted it, everything worked again. Obviously, there is some kind of glitch in the software, hardware or both. It MAY be common only in the Elite version, since it has the most extensive and complicated system. Might also mention that the automatic wiper system needs some major improvement, it drives me nuts getting it work as I need it to; I wish I had the standard intermittent wiper control. Maybe they can make it that way via a programming change? The Elite is the most advanced and sophisticated system Honda has brought forth to date; methinks they need to develop it a bit more and do some serious debugging. I hope Honda reads these posts and takes them to heart. So, to repeat the most salient point, a factory data reset did NOT solve my problem, it just created more work to bring it back. Maybe a battery disconnect is in my future? I'll try not to be so verbose in future posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 EX L with the same "garbled" or "breaking up" problem and dealer said couldn't duplicate so no resolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but, how do you do a hard reset thru the infotainment center and where do you find the software version?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Factory data reset uis found in the settings folder, kept hunting/"drilling down" until I found it. I guess you could do essentially the same thing by disconnecting the battery. The same for software versions; there is a place for all the apps installed in the system (and there are slew of them, maybe 50+?, I didn't count) and I think the version accompanies each one. I will go back into it and try to point you in a specific direction. It's cold as all get out here (north central NC), snow on the ground and wife had knee surgery the other day and is not being a good patient and sort of needs constant attention unfortunately, so it will probably be a couple of days before I can get to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is one of my biggest issues also. I have also taken it in and they can't seem to reproduce it, even though when I was making my appointment they receptionist couldn't hear me! Do any of you have issues listening to music via bluetooth? Mine also cuts out then, I figure they go hand in hand but wasn't sure if that was a common occurring thing too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have a similar issues. When connected via Bluetooth (using a Galaxy S6, iPhone 6 and iPhone X) the call audio from me is poor for the person I call. Their voice comes through fine to me over the speakers. I happened to also change wireless carriers and the problem has not resolved (Rogers to Telus). I have noticed, that it I/my wife keep voices very calm, no inflections or emotion the audio to the other person is MUCH improved (not perfect but understandable). High pitches/loud or rapid changes of tone cause garbling and cutout.

Took it to the dealer. They have replicated the issue no problem with their phones. They contacted Honda who had them verify the issue on another Elite which they did. The dealer also changed out the Mic with no success. Honda was apparently unaware of this issue and are supposedly working on an update (no date / specifics to be confirmed) based entirely on me since they have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a EXL (no Nav) and experienced the Bluetooth cutting out too. My son searched the web and told me to disconnect the wifi in the van. I did and have not had any problems with the Bluetooth skipping (music or phone). Turn off the wifi and see if this fixes your problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a EXL (no Nav) and experienced the Bluetooth cutting out too. My son searched the web and told me to disconnect the wifi in the van. I did and have not had any problems with the Bluetooth skipping (music or phone). Turn off the wifi and see if this fixes your problem.
This is a good tip. I sure hope it helps, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. OK, but please clarify. I still have the problem about 30% - 40% of the time. Do you mean turn off the AT&T hotspot built into the car? I am not using the built in internet at all but I do have a HUM X in the car (which I purchased just before buying the Elite) which provides a Verizon internet hotspot for the car and passengers. I actually use very little of the car's electronic capabilities, mostly just the Bluetooth telephone interface. I was wondering about lowering my speaking voice , as I tend to project my voice and speak loudly and may be "over modulating" and causing the system to "clip" (electronically truncate) my words due to "overloading" the audio capability of the car (lifelong habit from being a ham operator and 911 telecommunicator supervisor). I will see what I can do about turning off the wi-fi in the car. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I forgot to add, I DID call American Honda Customer Service and reported the Bluetooth problem back in late November or early December. I also complained about the ridiculous horn. I think for close to 50 grand, we ought to get 2 horns! Probably went in one ear and out the other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To turn off the WiFi on my 2018 Odyssey EX-L, you click on the following:
Settings --> Connections --> Wifi --> Change Mode --> scroll down to OFF and click on it --> save.

See if this helps your Bluetooth use.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
31 Participants
cletus632
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing