Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tried it, thought it helped but on a call today, callee could not understand me until I switched to the phone directly without using Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...Took it to the dealer. They have replicated the issue no problem with their phones. They contacted Honda who had them verify the issue on another Elite which they did. The dealer also changed out the Mic with no success. Honda was apparently unaware of this issue and are supposedly working on an update (no date / specifics to be confirmed) based entirely on me since they have never heard of this before.
When we called Honda, they blamed Android Auto. Adam, maybe you can follow up with your dealer and let us know when they plan to fix this.

I was driving a 2003 Odyssey with (obviously) no bluetooth, just a set of earbuds for phone calls. I was so excited to get bluetooth and now I want my 2003 back! No one can hear me - they say I'm "breaking up", whether I'm plugged in to a cable or not. If I put it on my phone's speaker phone, they can hear me fine, but that's ridiculous. I have a brand new Samsung Note 8 and a brand new 2018 Odyssey Touring and I was happier with my cruddy iphone 6 with no storage and my 2003 Odyssey. In talking to a friend who kept breaking up, she said, "Do you have an Odyssey? Do you have a 2018 Odyssey?" Turns out her sister just got a new Odyssey and she can't hear her either, even though she heard her just fine over bluetooth with her old Odyssey. Her sister has an iphone. I've tried turning off wifi, factory resetting the entire Odyssey system (all that did was make me lose my Garmin saved places). I got this Note 8 so I could have Google Maps. I think that's going to help me a lot when I drive this car back to the dealer and demand my 2003 back.

I do not have problems with the audio cutting out. BUT I have Spotify playing when it wants to. If Honda really cared about my safety, they would put a pause button on the steering wheel! I can't listen to a TED talk on my phone on the Ted talk app without doing something crazy: I have to play something on spotify, pause it, and then push play on the TED app. I don't understand this car at all.

And what's up with the steering wheel button only working for Siri if the phone is disconnected?

Don't even get me started on the issue whereby you can't raise the seat and keep leg room simultaneously....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello to everyone following this thread. I am sorry all you nice folks are having trouble with your new Odysseys! To bring everyone up to date on my particular problem(s), my Elite has been at the dealer for over a week now. I hope to get it back some time this week but here is what's happening (forget about 3 days needed to replace the front bumper after having accidentally damaging it taking it off a lift and replacing the factory rear hatch kick sensor [I paid for the part, labor was free] to remedy lack of function after installing a trailer hitch. Thursday, they started in on the Bluetooth problem. They were hoping to instigate a "Techline" problem solving session with Honda engineers to resolve the problem. They even determined that the computer had generated 2 fault codes regarding the Android/Bluetooth system but other than telling me about it, no further information. The service manager called me from the car using Bluetooth and an iPhone (mine is an S8+) and lo and behold, garbled audio! I happened to have it on speaker phone and a recording app going and I was able to preserve it for prosperity and the Honda engineers along with several garbled calls to my home answering machine. Honda gave them a "checklist" of things to do and/or check out before initiating a Techline session. They are very reluctant to replace the $2,500 computer. Right now, its anybody's guess if they will solve the problem or tell me it's not bad enough to worry with and that I have to live with it (Sienna here I come!). I will say that the dealer in Danville, VA is being very nice about, and appears to be working diligently to solve the problem. Heck, they gave me a nice 2017 Pilot to drive in its place and I darn sure appreciate that. Some dealers won't give you a loaner. I don't like being a guinea pig, but if they can solve my problem, maybe it will lead them where they need to to go to solve yours. Just complain loudly and lengthily(?). Fumbling with a phone and a screen icon to shut off Bluetooth at 70 mph is a recipe for disaster! I hope that doesn't happen to anyone! In any event, I told them to keep it until they get it fixed; I just hope it doesn't take until the 2019's come out before they get it fixed. I will post here whatever the resolution is, good, bad, or indifferent. You are not alone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
One last thought. I have ordered a pair of 2017 Pilot horns to replace the puny single low note horn that came on this $49,000+ vehicle. I had already replaced the single factory horn with a set of Hella LOUD horns. I hate the sound of them almost as much as the single factory horn. They sound really funky. The Pilot horns are just right! And yeah, I guess I am a bit weird. At least it will sound like a regular car horn when I'm done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
retired911guy, thanks for the update. Please let us know what happens. Someone smarter than I am needs to figure this out... I don't even know how to see what Bluetooth version my car has. I'm not even 100% which car I have (Touring? Which is the one with the vacuum--that's what I have.) All I know is that it's happening with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8, didn't happen the few days my husband I switched cars and he used an iphone 6 (although maybe that was just chance, as it doesn't occur 100% of the time, just way too often), and it's happening with my friend's sister's iphone (not sure what model). Doesn't this seem to suggest that it's something either related to the compatibility of the Bluetooth versions (although with a new phone and new car, I would think mine would be compatible) or else the car?

Now I need to find a thread where people complain that their hip hurts in this car. The front seat needs to raise up without going forward, Honda. Not everyone who wants to see the road is short or has short legs. It is so bad that I am thinking I may have to take my husband's car when I have to drive 3 hours. Oh, how I miss my 2003 Ody...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
[FONT=&quot]Sorry to take so long to reply. Wow, a lot has happened but no satisfaction. There are different versions of Bluetooth, for sure. I left my '18 Odyssey Elite with the selling dealer for over a week. The garbled calls on the receiving end were reproduced by the service manager using an iPhone. I was able to record it and sent it to him. They acknowledged there is a problem. Service manager said Honda made them jump thru some hoops checking things out, but in the end, I think they did initiate a "TechLine" conference with American Honda, which I gather is sort of a big deal. The bottom line was that there is a software update coming out in the not too distant future (1 to 3 months) that should address my issues. Poppycock! Horsefeathers! BS! Sorry, I don't believe for a minute that a software update will solve my issues. Why? I asked the Sales Manager how many Elites they have sold since September. He said 30 to 45. I asked how many of them are reporting the same problems I am experiencing. Answer: none. I said that's interesting, since THEY ARE ALL RUNNING THE SAME SOFTWARE! It does not take a genius to figure that one out. (A side note: I also had them install a set of 2017 Pilot horns, which sound nice and are a conventional 2 horn setup and got rid of that awful single, low tone horn the factory put into a $49,000+ vehicle!!!) So I left the dealership with my tail between my legs and drove home with my Ody's Bluetooth shut down. It has been turned off until yesterday when I fired it back up and re-paired my Galaxy S8+ to it, and lo and behold, IT'S STILL GARBLED! I had previously asked the SM about getting the computer replaced. Several responses in this thread said that cured their problem. He said I should contact American Honda and start a "ticket". Hmmm. OK, I can do that (and DID just that last night)! My question is, why did I have to do that? Isn't that what a service department is supposed to do? I have had this car for 5 months now and it has not worked right since the get-go and I will be 6 to 8 moths into ownership with the vehicle not performing as it should. One new problem has surfaced since it was returned to me; the "screen" goes dark/blank, often several times for 3 to 5 seconds in a 30 minute drive. Software, indeed! So that is where I'm at; waiting for a software update or American Honda authorizing a replacement computer (about a $2,500 item, retail, I'm told, so I can understand why they aren't champing at the bit to replace it and make the customer happy!). I promise you I won't be holding my breath waiting for whichever one comes first. I am prepared to eat crow if the software update cures my Ody's "ills" and I am just as prepared to jump down Honda's throat when it doesn't. Unfortunately, I don't believe the "Lemon Law" covers "software" problems! One nice thing that did come out of all of this was the 10 days I got to drive a loaner standard (mid-range model, an EX?) 2017 Pilot. It was very pleasant to drive, was very peppy, got better gas mileage than the Odyssey and the seats were more comfortable. I should have bought a Pilot instead of an Odyssey! And just maybe, I am one of a very few Odyssey Elite owners that utilizes the Bluetooth telephone interface and they don't know that they have a problem. It's either that or in fact there is a problem my car's computer. I will let you know how it turns out.[/FONT]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Elite owner, no problem with Bluetooth, voice calls crystal clear, no need to turn off wifi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had bluetooth issues (mostly with streaming music), and turning the van's wifi off worked well for me. Even before i turned wifi off there were no problems when using Apple Car Play (which has to be done over a lightning cord connection). Adamparker have you tried using Car Play or Android Auto?

·
Registered
510 Posts
As much as some hate to plug their phones in, CarPlay as well as Android Auto delivers audio playback over the USB cable in LPCM (which is better than A2DP for any music source of good quality), they use Bluetooth with Hands Free Profile (HFP) only for phone calls and do not use Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for audio playback. However, it doesn't help with voice quality issue during phone calls if that is what you are dealing with.

When my head unit was running B1.0.8, audio playback was choppy but phone calls were fine. Both B1.0.12 and B1.0.16 have worked well for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I now have had my 2018 Oddessey Elite for almost a year. Can't use the bluetooth at all because the phone connection is horrible. This now means I can't use the texting feature because if the bluetooth is on and if the bluetooth is on, the phone will try to answer through car and then the connection is terrible.

My dealer took my car for a week and now they are telling me that Honda can't keep up with Apple's software updates. They claim that there are "so many other manufacturers" that have this problem as well. They are claiming that Honda has to wait for Apple to come out with their updates before they can make the bluetooth software compatible. This is ridiculous. 80% of the cars on the street today can handle bluetooth calls through the car.

I am now coming to the realization that I will never (after three hondas in my life) buy another one. They simply don't care about correcting this problem. They don't care about the customer after the sale. I am so irritated I am actually taking the time to post this message.

Has anyone had this issue resolved????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2018 EX-L. Took it to service and they didn’t find an issue. I turned off wireless/ hot spot and now it’s clear on both ends! Try that and see if it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same boat

2018 EXL. Bluetooth quality is crap on other end, fine in my cabin. My husband, who purchased this car, is absolutely furious. I took it in to the dealer and they claimed they couldn't find anything on this issue (I will be showing them this thread next). Tried turning off Wi-fi with no success.
Not happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 EXL NAV/RES. It's my wife's car, so I'm often on the other end of that crap quality. The microphone is garbage, and so is the rear-view camera. My 2013 EX-L V6 accord bluetooth calls are crystal clear, and the rearview camera is noticeably better. Lots of cost-cutting in the last five years.

·
Registered
111 Posts
never use bluetooth and always have phone conversations with phone hard wired in through carplay but still turning off wifi improved the quality greatly for me too for the far side. I could always hear them just fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
gmzaferos

I traded my 2013 Touring Elite in late October for a 2018 Elite. Almost from the start I had frequent complaints from people I called using the car's Bluetooth interface that they could not understand what I was saying. I had no problem hearing them clearly. Never had any such problem with my 2008 or 2013 Odyssey. Problem is not due to cell phone signal strength; it occurs in areas of good signal strength and in same areas I had previously made calls on my former Odysseys. Problem cleared up when I switched over to the handset (thanks for that button, Honda!) Even happened when I was talking to 911 and a deputy directly, when I was about 2 miles from a Verizon tower. Switching over to the handset directly eliminated the problem. I complained to the selling dealer and they could not immediately duplicate the problem but said it MIGHT be a defective microphone in the overhead console. I took it in to the dealer and they said they replaced the mic and to try it to see if the problem persisted. It did. The dealer has no clue as to what the problem is (no technical or service bulletins on this problem). I am supposed to take it back to the dealer and leave it with them for a few days to see if they can figure out what the problem is.
I am wondering if any 2018 owners (or even owners of older Odysseys) have experienced a similar problem? Not to wish anyone bad luck, but it would help if someone else has experienced a similar problem and could tell me what was done to alleviate it. :huh:Thanks!
I am having the exact same problem, identical in every way to yours as described. I am sure it is the microphone, and am taking it in to the dealer this week. I will come back if they solve the problem, but after reading your experience, I am not optimistic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded my 2013 Touring Elite in late October for a 2018 Elite. Almost from the start I had frequent complaints from people I called using the car's Bluetooth interface that they could not understand what I was saying. I had no problem hearing them clearly. Never had any such problem with my 2008 or 2013 Odyssey. Problem is not due to cell phone signal strength; it occurs in areas of good signal strength and in same areas I had previously made calls on my former Odysseys. Problem cleared up when I switched over to the handset (thanks for that button, Honda!) Even happened when I was talking to 911 and a deputy directly, when I was about 2 miles from a Verizon tower. Switching over to the handset directly eliminated the problem. I complained to the selling dealer and they could not immediately duplicate the problem but said it MIGHT be a defective microphone in the overhead console. I took it in to the dealer and they said they replaced the mic and to try it to see if the problem persisted. It did. The dealer has no clue as to what the problem is (no technical or service bulletins on this problem). I am supposed to take it back to the dealer and leave it with them for a few days to see if they can figure out what the problem is.
I am wondering if any 2018 owners (or even owners of older Odysseys) have experienced a similar problem? Not to wish anyone bad luck, but it would help if someone else has experienced a similar problem and could tell me what was done to alleviate it. :huh:Thanks!
I have the 2018 EX L with Nav and Entertainment and it is doing the same thing. I also cannot make the voice control work for the nav or calling system work when the car is on the highway. It only works when the car is parked. It seems to be that the highway wind noise won't allow the system to understand me.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
31 Participants
cletus632
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing