Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've got a set of wheels off of an early BMW X5, style 53's, to fit to my 2011 Odyssey.

It looks like I'll need a set of conical seat bulge acorn lug nuts in M14 x 1.5.

Also, a set of hubcentric rings. The best I've been able to tell the X5 wheels have a 72.5mm bore. The Honda hub is 64.1 mm according to a few sources (measured 64.0mm with a set of calipers). Does this sound right?

Also, when it comes to TPMS what the heck do I do here? Can I just fit a set of sensors on these wheels which are compatible with the Honda system? I'm new to these sensors.

Thanks for any and all help.

Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I'll have to try it on my own then....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Goodluck and post pics when you got it done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a tip, call TireRack, ask for tech support, they are super knowledgeable and may have the rings, does the bolt pattern match?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone actually done this?

One last try before I delve into it....

Bolt pattern is the same. Hubcentric rings needed. Really my only concern is the TPMS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mounted up these BMW X5 wheels on my '05 Ody. As far as I can tell, all 17" & 18" BMW X5 wheels will fit the 3rd generation Odys... not sure about your 2011 model.

To make the BMW rims fit properly, a set of 72.62 x 64.10mm hubcentric rings are needed. These are easily found on Ebay for about $10 a set. Also, a set of 14 x 1.5 conical style lug nuts are needed as the stock Ody lug nuts will not work.

The stock BMW X5 tires on the 18" rims are 255/55-18 Michelins and did not fit on my Ody. I put on 235/55-18 Nitto NT850's which fit fine. The Nittos were noisy and I have since switched to Michelins in the same size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular style of BMW X5 wheel. I know the 17" and 18" X5 wheels fit, not sure about this wheel. I'm very happy with the 18's on the Ody. I'm surprised that they're not very many Ody owners doing this. X5 rims seem to be plentiful and inexpensive, much less than Acura take-offs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got all the parts now. I've test fit the wheels/tires on the car and they fit and drive without vibration.

Here's what you'll need:

(20) conical seat acorn bulge lug nuts, M14x1.5, 1.4" long
I went with Gorilla part 61148 (same as 61147).

(4) hubcentric rings, 72.56 OD x 64.1ID
I went with plastic rings from Just For Wheels.

I also purchased a set of sensors, but have not yet installed them. I'll update once I get them installed for the winter and figure out what it takes to make the car and sensor happy.

edit: I can't spell....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright everyone, I'm stumped. I put the wheels and tires on with the hubcentric rings and new lugs. NO sensors. Just went for a 10+ mile drive at speeds up to 70 mph and the TPMS light never turned on. I can turn the traction control on/off at will and spin the tires with the traction control off.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're stumped about. I have an 05 as well running 7-series wheels with no sensors. tpms light never went on so I'm certain that my stock wheels never had them on since my Ody is not a Touring. As for the traction control, tires will spin with it turned off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm stumped because everything I've read says that removal of the TPMS sensors from the wheels will illuminate the TPMS light on the dash and prevent the traction control from being turned off....

If that's really not the case, then why on earth would I put these sensors in. I've survived all these years by rountinely checking my own tire pressures....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alright everyone, I'm stumped. I put the wheels and tires on with the hubcentric rings and new lugs. NO sensors. Just went for a 10+ mile drive at speeds up to 70 mph and the TPMS light never turned on. I can turn the traction control on/off at will and spin the tires with the traction control off.

What's the deal?
Give it another 25 miles or so. We can usually get one decent in-town trip when switching to the winter wheels (no TPMS) before the indicator starts to chime.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had Honda put the sensors in the wheels. Ran them all winter without a single problem. I purchased a TPM QuickSet before having the sensors install, pulled the codes, then pulled the winter codes after the install. Just swapped the summer tires back on and was able to reprogram the vehicle for the other sensors.

It's all very easy to do and not too expensive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts