Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally (after six weeks of waiting) get the Smoky Topaz EX-L RES on Thursday and yesterday wifey gets into a head on collision at a very low speed :frown:. Everyone is fine but the bumper is shod and the front airbags need to be replaced.

I am pretty sure that I will be able to check the bumper fit and finish to ensure that it is a perfect match but how do I ensure that the auto body used the correct airbags and fixed any sensors in the front bumper? Also, the seat belt pre-tensioners need to be replaced and are there any gotchas with them? I want to make sure that the car is safe to drive after the repairs....

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
Glad nobody was hurt.

It really comes down to the ethics of the shop that fixes you new Ody. The worst ones might replace the air bags with stolen or repacked units.

Your best defence for peace of mind is to have the van repaired at the dealer. This is also important if there are any subsequent problems with the van that may have been caused by the collision. At least you would have only "one throat to choke" without getting caught in the middle of an argument between the dealer and a body shop for warranty work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best defence for peace of mind is to have the van repaired at the dealer. This is also important if there are any subsequent problems with the van that may have been caused by the collision. At least you would have only "one throat to choke" without getting caught in the middle of an argument between the dealer and a body shop for warranty work.
Turns out that none of my local dealers do body work. I guess it is due to the complaints on body work from the customers. I did chose a reputed body shop that was recommended by Statefarm and hopefully they will do a good job. Can I take the van to the dealer to have them checkout the airbags?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how you can check everything yourself, maybe ask your dealer to conduct a full courtesy inspection once it is repaired.

I posted here several months ago about my coworker's van that got in a wreck after owning it for 2 weeks. Someone ran a redlight and hit his front right corner. Driver's air bag did deploy. The Honda dealership did not have a bodyshop but they also own a Chevy dealer and that's where the body work was done at. But then I think he told me that they brought it back to the Honda dealer and the Honda techs put in a new steering wheel with airbag. They had to fix his seatbelt too. It's been several months now and no issues so far with his van.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how you can check everything yourself, maybe ask your dealer to conduct a full courtesy inspection once it is repaired.

I posted here several months ago about my coworker's van that got in a wreck after owning it for 2 weeks. Someone ran a redlight and hit his front right corner. Driver's air bag did deploy. The Honda dealership did not have a bodyshop but they also own a Chevy dealer and that's where the body work was done at. But then I think he told me that they brought it back to the Honda dealer and the Honda techs put in a new steering wheel with airbag. They had to fix his seatbelt too. It's been several months now and no issues so far with his van.
That is what I was suggesting. Most (if not all) dealerships are able to sub out the bodywork (usually to the body shop of your choice) and then get the vehicle back to complete work on the stuff they can do themselves.

I think a competent body shop can complete the air bag repairs but you won't know if the repair is done correctly or not without having specific expertise and possibly the tools (which most of us lack).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an update from the body shop today. Apparently the total damage is $7100 and there is a corner piece of the frame that needs to be replaced. They are estimating a 2 week job once all the parts get in. :(

·
Banned
728 Posts
I got an update from the body shop today. Apparently the total damage is $7100 and there is a corner piece of the frame that needs to be replaced. They are estimating a 2 week job once all the parts get in. :(
That is too bad. It sounds like a long time to complete the repairs (80 hours) after the parts come in. Something doesn't add up. At $90.00/hours shop rate, 2 weeks (40 hour/week) adds up to $7,200 before parts.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Something doesn't add up. At $90.00/hours shop rate, 2 weeks (40 hour/week) adds up to $7,200 before parts.
Ummm they kind of have to leave the van at times to let welds cool down and paint dry then clear coat dry ......

You can't time the body work just like you would time some under the hood repair work which can be done straight up.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I don't think the welds take more than a few minutes to cool. I agree that they won't be working 80 hours straight in 2 weeks, but it sounds like they are tying the car up for quite a bit of time to repair $7,100 worth of damage, which isn't really much these days considering in Canada, a bumper replacement and repaint can run over $1,500.00.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
It could also be a scheduling issue. The shop has to allocate their techs over the jobs they have, and of course a tech can work on only one job at a time. Also most shops have only one paint booth. That can be a bottleneck at times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the van back on Monday. They took exactly two weeks to repair it and it looks like new again. Looking forward to the weekend fun with the twins :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts