Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered both not realizing that you have to "cut" away some silicone on the inside of the door which causes some damage and then apply touch up paint and then install the door edge guards.

And you have to choose when you install the body side moldings if you have the edge guards or not. Instructions say to mark over more by 6mm if you have the guards. I want to install the moldings on Sunday but not sure if I am going to install the edge guards.

I guess I can just mark and install the moldings over by the amount recommended, its a small amount and if I never install them the moldings it shouldn't look too bad.

My driveway has brick walls on both sides and there is a ledge that sticks out further than the wall, so I think I should have them because many of my other cars have scraped the walls and have some damage. I am just not loving the idea of this scraping and then applying touch up paints...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess nobody has both of these installed on their Ody's. I am about to put them on the car today and still torn on if I should install the door edge guards.

If I do I am going to have to do them first because if I do moldings first and I do not line them up right I will go crazy. I have such bad OCD that I would end up taking one of them off if they don't like up just right.

I would love to get this done quickly but the fact that I have to apply touch up paint is going to slow me down a bit. I hope an hour is enough time to let it fully dry.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I don't have brick walls on either side of my driveway, but I have avoided door damage by picking wider spots where I park. Usually walking a few extra yards yields a spot not surrounded by cars. At home, have you considered installing some thin board, painted to match the brick in your normal parking location. Another option is the rubber "brick style" decking material available at home depot. You might get some to match you brick. Then when you open your door, it will just bounce back without damage if you open the door too far.

I think the Oddy looks best without the moulding and definitely looks better without the edge guard.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have brick walls on either side of my driveway, but I have avoided door damage by picking wider spots where I park. Usually walking a few extra yards yields a spot not surrounded by cars. At home, have you considered installing some thin board, painted to match the brick in your normal parking location. Another option is the rubber "brick style" decking material available at home depot. You might get some to match you brick. Then when you open your door, it will just bounce back without damage if you open the door too far.

I think the Oddy looks best without the moulding and definitely looks better without the edge guard.
I thought about getting something for the brick, but I have it on both sides and there is a good amount of brick, it lines the entire driveway. Plus my driveway is sloped so depending on how you park the door can hit different levels of the wall.

It is not just about me hitting it but my wife hitting it as well, I have accidently hit the brick a few times in other cars.

I actually like the body side moldings, so those are def going on but what I am questioning is the door edge guards. I don't mind the way the door edge guards look but of course it looks better without. I just look at my other car and see the chipped paint on the door edge and it makes me a bit more inclined to put them on.

I also tend to park further away, or at least an end spot, but even so the inevitible door swinging into the car is going to happen. I have witnessed almost all of my cars being dinged by some idiot who widly flings open their door without regard to other cars.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Actually, I've noticed that most people tend to be more careful about hitting other cars with their doors these days than years ago. As to the driveway, I have a mark in the garage so my wife knows when she is in far enough (but not too far). She ends up parking within about the same 2' every time. I'm sure you could do the same on your driveway assuming you park in the same spot. As for the body side moulding, I get each to his own. I think the van looks better with a clean side, but I'm sure I'd change my mind after several door dents.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I've noticed that most people tend to be more careful about hitting other cars with their doors these days than years ago. As to the driveway, I have a mark in the garage so my wife knows when she is in far enough (but not too far). She ends up parking within about the same 2' every time. I'm sure you could do the same on your driveway assuming you park in the same spot. As for the body side moulding, I get each to his own. I think the van looks better with a clean side, but I'm sure I'd change my mind after several door dents.
The mark is a good idea, but sometimes the spot is never the same. I live in a two family house, in-laws live upstairs, so I would rather be super safe.

As for most people being careful, maybe you have noticed this but I have not. People just don't pay attention when they open their car doors, especially passengers.

I did the install today, I think it came out pretty good and looks great. The door edge guards are actually barely noticeable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics of the moldings and door edge guards, though you can't really see the door edge guards.

Here is a pic of the template I used, I added an inch to the template to raise the moldings up an inch.

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
Lookin good. I personally don't like the plain doors though most door dings happen due to rear doors hitting your vehicle so I am not sure how valuable the body side moldings are but they certainly do make the car look much better to me for some reason.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like them with or without the modlings, so either way is fine for me. I know this may not stop all dings, but if it stops a few then it is worth it in my book.

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
I like them with or without the modlings, so either way is fine for me. I know this may not stop all dings, but if it stops a few then it is worth it in my book.
Agreed. It will definitely stop the vertical dings caused by careless people hitting the car with their front doors. The rear door hits probaby won't be stopped but any protection is better than none at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do still have the template? I received my body-side moldings without instructions or the template. I found the instructions online but still trying to get template. Honda has been zero help. If so I would greatly appreciate if I could borrow the template. Contact me at Alan Hartzell PO Box 128 Arcanum, Ohio 45304

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am considering the mouldings on my Dark cherry color - I think it breaks up the large flat surface area ... more of a visual thing. My truck has these and they do catch careless doors before they get into the metal ;) from the average car...

Can't believe the TE doesn't come with mud guards either?! wow... was the steering wheel optional too? hehehe

·
Registered
16 Posts
We're in the final decision stage for getting a 2015 Odyssey (Obsidian Blue). We live in the city and I'm eager for the car to have all the protection it can get! Any advice on why I wouldn't want both door edge guards AND body-side molding? Likewise, it it worth it to pay the extra $ to have the dealer do it? (The molding installation looks a bit easier than the door edge guard instructions--which was a surprise to me).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts