Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2007 Ody LX new and all service has been done by myself.

Ever since I started changing my engine oil in 2008 (since 10K miles or so), I notice the bottom of the AT to be slightly damp, and of course covered with some dust/grime, so once a year, I sprayed some "Purple Power" de-greaser then rinse it with water.

So I assume this is a very very slight seepage of ATF from the AT, either from outputshafts' seals or from the casing itself, such tiny amount that only makes the AT casing slightly wet but not enough to drip it on the garage floor.

Has anyone noticed the same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
I have seen this on aluminum engines (engine oil) and tranny case (ATF). It seems that in an otherwise correctly assembled assembly (no seeping, weeping or leaking gaskets), that once in a while an aluminum casting can be structurally sound, but still exhibit a certain degree of porosity. This results in fluid actually migrating through tiny cavities in the casting, and ending up on the outside as a thin film that collects dust and grime.

I think I saw it happen last on my sister-in-law's Toyota Sienna tranny during a road trip in the midwest a couple years ago. I know Honda has replaced entire aluminum engine blocks under warranty due to the occasional severe porosity problem. It can and has happened to any cast aluminum components (carburetors, manifolds, cylinder heads, cam towers, etc.) from any manufacturer.

OF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
if you cleaned it once, then its a good way of seeing where the small leak might be coming from. Maybe in about 1 to 2 months, look if it's wet again. If it is, then crawl underneath and see how high the wet fluid is coming from (find the source of the leak). If looks dry, then don't worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,529 Posts
RinconVTR said:
Wrong.

What Ofyfam said is right on...
Wrong? Seeping through metal is not normal. If the casting is weak enough to seep, what do you think the long ter, strenght of it is? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but no way would a leak be considered "normal" to me. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
mjody said:
Wrong? Seeping through metal is not normal. If the casting is weak enough to seep, what do you think the long ter, strenght of it is? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but no way would a leak be considered "normal" to me. :eek:
I design sand and investment castings all day and deal with their quality concerns more than I care to say! Sand castings are very porous and regardless of how high your quality control is, you will find some make it out to the field. And there are a variety of ways the porosity allows a leak, and what it looks like on the outside.

I don’t think CNN wasn’t saying there is a leak per say because nothing made it to the ground. And IMO it is only at that point one should start to consider repair. It depends how bad it is…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I've had to replace the seal for the shifting linkage on my 05 Ody. I think you should have the seal replaced if its wet around that area.

The part was cheap. The repair was straightforward, but required taking off a few parts (linkage bracket, etc) to get to the seal. A small pick is used to poke into the seal to pull it out. Then tap the new one in perfectly straight.


Rich

cnn said:
I bought this 2007 Ody LX new and all service has been done by myself.

Ever since I started changing my engine oil in 2008 (since 10K miles or so), I notice the bottom of the AT to be slightly damp, and of course covered with some dust/grime, so once a year, I sprayed some "Purple Power" de-greaser then rinse it with water.

So I assume this is a very very slight seepage of ATF from the AT, either from outputshafts' seals or from the casing itself, such tiny amount that only makes the AT casing slightly wet but not enough to drip it on the garage floor.

Has anyone noticed the same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,529 Posts
RinconVTR said:
I design sand and investment castings all day and deal with their quality concerns more than I care to say! Sand castings are very porous and regardless of how high your quality control is, you will find some make it out to the field. And there are a variety of ways the porosity allows a leak, and what it looks like on the outside.

I don’t think CNN wasn’t saying there is a leak per say because nothing made it to the ground. And IMO it is only at that point one should start to consider repair. It depends how bad it is…
Duly noted. Personally, I would not live with seepage through aluminum or any other metal. If there was no long term problems, then wouldn't Honda just tell shops to JB Weld leaks instead of replacing transmissions or engine blocks? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update,

Probably not porous casing after all. I am now at 52K miles and have noticed this thin film at the bottom of the trans every time I change engine oil.

The leak is ATF and is very very minor, just enough to create a thin film on the Pass Side's Axle Seal and it trickles down the bottom of the trans, covered in a thin film of ATF/dirt/grime etc. Wipe it off and all is clean.

No ATF on garage floor.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and see if I can address this during the Power Train warranty of 5y/60K miles.


PS: Does anyone know for sure the Power Train warranty period?

---> 5y/60K miles vs

---> 7y/100K miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
My '07 has the the same wet seepage characistics that CNN describes, although mine seems to be along the case seam. No drips and I don't lose any ATF fluid (at least measureable). I hit the area with some brake parts cleaner every 3rd or 4th oil change and just monitor its condition. Of all the import makes I have owned, this Honda is the most dodgey of them all. FWIW I'm right at 60K in the mileage category.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
FYI:

I learned about defective porous aluminum components the hard way. Our brand new 2010 Ody EX-L developed a very minor transmission fluid leak when it had ~ 3K on the clock. It started with a few red fluid drops on the garage floor. After taking the Ody to the dealer to have it checked out (took 2 trips to confirm), I was told that the transmission case was more porous than usual and that it was allowing ATF fluid to "bleed" through the transmission case. Long story short, Honda replaced the transmission and it has been dry ever since.

Any type of seepage or leak is definitely not normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
The leak is ATF and is very very minor, just enough to create a thin film on the Pass Side's Axle Seal and it trickles down the bottom of the trans, covered in a thin film of ATF/dirt/grime etc. Wipe it off and all is clean.
Mine has been that way for quite a while. Film but no leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started this thread some 3.5 years ago. This is an update.

In Sept 2010, at 30K miles, the ATF leak was very minor, only enough to wet the bottom of the transmission.

Fast forward to Jan 2014, at 85K, the ATF leak is a bit more, a drop on the garage floor here and there. Not enough to add ATF. But I check the ATF level at every gas fill-up and so far OK. The leak is definitely at the passenger-side trans seal, where the axle goes in.

I am waiting for the time when I need to do the axle boot (or replace the axle), then at that time I will replace the seal.

For those who want to "monitor" the ATF leak, this is what I do:
- Get a piece of cardboard
- Place it where you normally park and so it is directly underneath the trans.
- Mark the garage floor with sharpie pen so you know where the corner of the cardboard should be.
- Place 2 small rocks/bricks on the cardboard so it does not move with the wind.
- The reasons for small rocks (instead of big rocks): just in case you drive over the rocks it is not a big deal.
However, place the rocks in such a way it is away from the front tires.


OdyATFleak.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
I'm in the same boat (leak check) with our 1998 Accord. Cardboard and two flat landscaping bricks to secure it in place. I think I just found it, too. Distributor (it's on the passenger side of the cam tower). Will be ordering seals from the local dealer tomorrow. Thankfully, it's not the A/T.

Off topic, but BTW, I'm still grateful for the 82-deg C thermostat mod.

Now, totally off topic, but you can tell a lot from a guy's garage (above pic):
- Belt driven compressor? Check!
- Tires (snow or regular, depending on time of year)? Check!
- Windshield washer fluid (lots of it for winter)? Check!
- Mountain bikes? Check!
- Floor jack? Check!
- Home made pressure brake bleeder? Check!
- Power tools? Check!
- Golf clubs? Check!

Hey, got to enjoy a game of golf after working on the Ody in the garage/man cave.

OF
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top