Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Honda and have learned of the transmission problems through this forum. I have no idea if this is the original tranny. I have driven quite a bit and it runs and shifts smoothly. Is there a way to learn if its been serviced or replaced? How about recalls and such, a way of tracking those? What would you do in my position? I am thinking of installing a tranny cooler as a precaution. Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome! Plenty to read here on your questions but I'll give a stab at a few. You can go to any Honda dealer and they can input the VIN to see if any warranty work was done on your vehicle. As for any other work, if it was done at a dealership, it will be in their computer but I don't think this information is shared nationally (as opposed to the warranty info which is). So if you can find out which (if any) dealership formerly worked on it, you may be able to get some information from them.

On the tranny, I wouldn't stress about it too much as there is only so much you can do - many have installed an external cooler along with a filter (Magnefine or similar), but there is no definite proof that this actually helps prolong the transmission life (some people have gotten 200K on their original trannies w/o this, while others have added filter & cooler & have done copius fluid changes and still have had multiple transmission failures).

You should check your fluid color - it should be bright reddish/pink and relatively clear - if brown or black or murky, I'd change it (multiple drain & fills will accomplish this, you don't need to to the $$ power flush).

Personally I think that driving style has a lot to do with transmission life - the more gentle you drive it, especially during acceleration from a stop, the longer life it will have. If you live and drive in a really hilly area, this probably doesn't help its life any either (but what can you do, move?).

The main thing to check is to see if your timing belt has been changed (due at 105K miles or 7? years). A LOT of people out there just don't do this, and keep driving the vehicle until they sell it or trade it in, as they don't want to spend the +/- $1K on the job (figuring that they will get rid of the vehicle before it fails). So when you buy a used car, this has to be one of the most important things you need to check.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you plan to do any maintenance or repair yourself, the first thing to do is buy a good repair manual such as honda odyssey repair manual | eBay

Haynes manuals aren't as good as a real Honda manual. The CD works just fine.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
You should also replace the coolant (due after 10 years) and the brake fluid (every 2 or 3 years). Check the cabin filter too - it's often neglected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts