Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 8 days since I purchased my odyssey. I looked at probably 20 different ones. I had looked up all the major repairs and checked each one. Well I finaly landed on one with very low miles, great car fax, all scheduled maintenance done on time. And about 1k under the average price. Well I noticed fluid leaking in my drive way. Turns out it's transmission fluid. We just left the dealership. I now have a huge repair list. I specifically asked them to check the motor mount, power steering, amd the torque converter. It passed their certified inspection and now a week later all of these things need replaced. It is almost un- drivable from the extensive vibration. So the salesman was going to fix it and the used car manager cut in and had a fit. Apartently he feels that it is all my cost now. They made a deal to cover half the cost. That is still 1300$. I'm not sure what I can do or what my rights are at this point. I have read about a goodwill policy by contacting the district parts and service manager. I cannot find any contact info for my area. I love this van but I need these parts fixed. I don't feel like I should be responsible for the repairs after a week when they inspected it first. I don't expect to pay that much after spending 15k on a car. I've never purchased a used car for that much! It's always been new or 3 to5k used. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You mentioned certified inspection. Is it certified? Would those things be covered under the extended certified warranty.

Even if not if you have anything showing the "checked them out" and they are actually bad, seems like you have a good case to go to the dealer GM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It has been 8 days since I purchased my odyssey. I looked at probably 20 different ones. I had looked up all the major repairs and checked each one. Well I finaly landed on one with very low miles, great car fax, all scheduled maintenance done on time. And about 1k under the average price. Well I noticed fluid leaking in my drive way. Turns out it's transmission fluid. We just left the dealership. I now have a huge repair list. I specifically asked them to check the motor mount, power steering, amd the torque converter. It passed their certified inspection and now a week later all of these things need replaced. It is almost un- drivable from the extensive vibration. So the salesman was going to fix it and the used car manager cut in and had a fit. Apartently he feels that it is all my cost now. They made a deal to cover half the cost. That is still 1300$. I'm not sure what I can do or what my rights are at this point. I have read about a goodwill policy by contacting the district parts and service manager. I cannot find any contact info for my area. I love this van but I need these parts fixed. I don't feel like I should be responsible for the repairs after a week when they inspected it first. I don't expect to pay that much after spending 15k on a car. I've never purchased a used car for that much! It's always been new or 3 to5k used. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
I've worked at several domestic make dealerships in service, and from that experience I can tell you the best way I've seen to get something done is steadily move up the ladder. If the Used Car Manager isn't standing behind the dealership's reputation, go down there and ask to speak to the General Manager. Let him/her see you like the van and would like to remain a customer of theirs, but only if they stand behind the product. If that doesn't work, call Honda's customer care: 1-800-999-1009

Don't start out being unreasonable or acting like a jerk, but be prepared to show your displeasure if need be. Some dealerships respond differently to different customer approaches, but most all of them respond when the customer is raising the roof with the manufacturer.

It's also a good idea to research your state's used car laws, which vary greatly from state to state. Most dealers also offer a very short, limited warranty on used vehicles, like 30 days/2000 miles or something like that. You might get some help that way.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I assume the 50% they're offering is the warranty stated on the "used car sticker" which is required in Ohio. Generally any decent used car comes with a warranty for 30 days to cover 50% of repairs. Your best bet is to keep moving this up the chain but legally the contract you signed with the warranty on the window sticker is all they're obligated to perform.

Lesson learned? Never buy a used car without an independant inspection. Particularly one without warranty.

You also stated you paid $1,000 under average price...so after paying 50% of the repairs you're not all that hurt in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, I feel like I am reading my own mind :) I have the same issue with my stealership, although I guess its my fault for not getting it inspected. I assumed that a Honda dealership would actually repair their used cars before selling them. Also I assumed Honda had better vehicles.

Anyway bought a 2005 EX-L on Saturday, drove it an hour home from the dealer and the called them on Sunday to report the problems I have. Here are the problems I had:

- Stiff steering, van still had original PS resevoir & pump.
- A clunking noise from the front driver wheel well.
- Crack in the windshield. Was not there when we test drive the van and we did not see the van till after we signed everything as they were 'detailing' it.
- Leaking rear shocks (Only found after going for inspection)
- Bad steering wheel vibration

So anyway, I had to harass the sales guy & service department to bring in my van the next Sat. I took it in and service department looked over the van. They balanced the wheels while I was there and then said they would have to replace the PS pump and resevoir, struts & strut mounts.

However they had to get the used car department to approve the repairs. So during the week I had to harass the sales guy several times because I wanted to bring it back the next sat to get everything resolved. Finally on Friday afternoon he tells me that his manager would not approve any of the repairs as they are not safety issues.

Needless to say this dealer is over an hour away from me and I didn't really want them to repair the van as it was, did not trust them.

I took the van in over this past weekend to my trustworthy mechanic and got everything fixed and inspected for about $800, which I am willing to eat. Also I had to get the windshield replaced for $370 and next weekend the strut mounts for another $300 or so. The stealership said he would pay for the windshield, we shall see.

Anyway at this point I am going to write a letter to the stealership and send a copy to the sales guy, sales manager, VP, Owner etc. I will give them one week to make things right, aka re-imburse me for the costs or I go public. I will forward my experiences onto BBB, this forum, several other forums, Honda corporate & the local news agency.

Finally I will send another letter to Honda requesting that they reimburse me for the power steering stuff as it clearly states in the TSB that the resevoir is defective which in turned damaged the pump. Also I am going to try and get money for the strut mounts too as they should not have failed at 80k.

I am really disappointed at Honda. I bought a Honda cause I thought there stuff was good, I mean I could have gotten a better mileage Dodge and have the same quality issues. I mean just with the 3rd gen vans alone there is the power steering issues, torque converter issues, rear engine mount issue, dash bulbs fail super fast etc.

I know Dodge and all have issues too, but I don't think anything on the scale of what Honda has. Plus the same problems on a Honda would be a hell of a lot cheaper to replace on a Dodge.

All I can say is that between me, my wife & my parents we have all owned all sorts of makes & models of cars up to 150k miles on a lot of them and never had to replace power steering pumps, engine mounts, trannys, torque converters, struts, shocks or strut mounts.

And for those people that say oh well you got a bad one, I dont believe that. Its almost a garauntee that you will need to replace the power steering stuff, the torque converter & the rear engine mount very early in the vans life and may have to replace the engine mount and power steering stuff regularly since Honda doesnt seem to care to improve their parts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 2005 vans were the first year model so it would have quite a bit more issues than later years.

Both of the posters above have problems within 30 days after purchase.
It seems the used car managers were not standing behind the products they sold.
The 30-day LIMITED used car warranty leaves too much room for the dealer to wiggle out of paying for the repairs.

Unfortunately, both vans are 2005 model, so the new car warranty had expired.

Does the vans have Honda certified pre-owned warranty ?
Or any warranty besides the 30-day limited used car warranty ?

If you have Honda CPO warranty, you won't need the used-car manager's approval to fix the defects.

If there is no warranty coverage, then you will have to escalate your complain to the dealership's general manager or even owner.
And you also should open a case with Honda so they have a record of your complain and may be able to convince the dealer to become more responsible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
singing to the choir here...

My 07RENEX bought in December has had issues just like you mentioned above.

My VAN WAS:

1) Honda Certified
2) Clean CarFax
3) Warranty Included
4) We bought the extended Warranty to 2014.

In the past two months, the stealership has replaced "The Master Cylinder", "The Torque Converter", "The Battery", "The Drivers Heated Seat Bulb", "The Rear Engine Mount".

I really like all the features of the van and it is very well thought out and planned by some great engineers, but Honda's Part suppliers are questionable.

This is my first Honda, and it's used...but I've owned Toyota's for over 12yrs and have never been to the dealer. I've been to the Honda dealer 3-times already in 2-months.

What do you think? I may have well just bought a Dodge Caravan for a lot less.
07RENEX

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feel bad for the people who bought the Odyssey thinking they are bulletproof. These vans are not cheap!

Our '06 EXL/NAV/RES had a laundry list of problems. Some of them still remain issues like juddering torque converter and power steering stiff when parking the car.

We love the van other than the mechanical problems. I have a 2001 Toyota with 220k miles that's never seen the repair shop.

I'm afraid this '06 Odyssey put us over the edge. It's our 3rd Honda with a bad transmission. I don't know what to buy next. The Sienna looks nice from the exterior but I can't get past the cheap looking, cream colored dash & steering wheel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 07-EXL since leased, bought out had some issues, mainly:

1. Power steering hard to turn at low speeds after 3 years
-Since it was out of warranty, I paid to first change the reservoir to see if it fixes it
-A few months later, I still feel a bit of the stiffness
-I reported it again, and the service manager agreed to do a good will. They replaced the power steering pump with the latest version, and I had to pay the labour and cost of power steering fluid which was about $190 altogether.

2. Master cylinder (part of the recall)

3. Vibration at 110 Km/h

4. Wind noise (wind shield area)

Other than that, so far so good.

Knock on wood, no tranny issues to date, although I came in for the several SW updates for the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TXN,

So the the following problems do not plague the 05-10 series???
- Steering pump/resevoir issue
- Torque converter
- Rear engine mount
- Windshield noise
- Master cylinder

After perusing these forums for a month now I think its safe to say that the first year model scenario has nothing to do with it :)

Like I said, I now realize that Honda has just as many problems as the others. My only complaint now is that to repair these problems is 2x the cost of the other brands. Had I researched this before I would have stuck to a cheapo like Dodge or Kia, at least the repairs would be cheaper and the van more disposable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 07RENEX bought in December has had issues just like you mentioned above.

My VAN WAS:

1) Honda Certified
2) Clean CarFax
3) Warranty Included
4) We bought the extended Warranty to 2014.

In the past two months, the stealership has replaced "The Master Cylinder", "The Torque Converter", "The Battery", "The Drivers Heated Seat Bulb", "The Rear Engine Mount".

I really like all the features of the van and it is very well thought out and planned by some great engineers, but Honda's Part suppliers are questionable.

This is my first Honda, and it's used...but I've owned Toyota's for over 12yrs and have never been to the dealer. I've been to the Honda dealer 3-times already in 2-months.

What do you think? I may have well just bought a Dodge Caravan for a lot less.
07RENEX
How many miles are on your Ody? I just replaced the rear motor mount on mine @ 82k and I am wondering how often I am going to have to do this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
As mentioned, talk to the General Manager, followed by dealership owner. The last thing you can do is express you're still not satisfied with resolution and you feel filing a complaint with Honda is the next recourse followed by putting your experiance onto a CSI survey. Managers (Sales and Service) gets bonues based their CSI number. Understand your taking the chance of them revoking the offer to pay 50% of your bill. I have worked at both Acura and BMW and there no way this would have even happened there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The 2005 vans were the first year model so it would have quite a bit more issues than later years.
I'm not sure this is entirely true, but being an 05 it is now 6 model years old which is more likely playing into the OP's problems.

Hopefully it all works out.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
OP, just curious, but which Ohio dealership are you having issues with?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Buying a used car is very tricky.
We gamble that a used car will be thousands of dollars cheaper than a new car. If we lose the bet, then the saving will be less than expected.

I work in the electronics industry and I can tell you first hand that it is 100% true that 1st year model have more
issues than later models.
I think the automotive industry is no different than the electronics industry.
These products are designed by humans and we make mistakes and we miss things.

My 2008 Ody was bought used at 29K miles and now it's at 31K miles:
In my case, perhaps it was a luck of the draw that no major issue occurs in the first 31K miles of this 2008 van.

My van is still under new car warranty and Certified Pre Owned warranty until 4/2013.
The drive train warranty expires in 4/2015.
After the warranties expire, I will be responsible for all repairs.

That sounds like a fair deal for Honda and me.

PS: See my signature for a couple of the repairs done to the van. The van was not 100% trouble-free, but the repairs were 100% covered by warranty.

TXN,

So the the following problems do not plague the 05-10 series???
- Steering pump/resevoir issue
- Torque converter
- Rear engine mount
- Windshield noise
- Master cylinder

After perusing these forums for a month now I think its safe to say that the first year model scenario has nothing to do with it :)

Like I said, I now realize that Honda has just as many problems as the others. My only complaint now is that to repair these problems is 2x the cost of the other brands. Had I researched this before I would have stuck to a cheapo like Dodge or Kia, at least the repairs would be cheaper and the van more disposable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts