Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Today I purchased a 2010 Odyssey Touring which had 40000 miles. One owner. It was sold by a Honda dealer . Paid $13000 plus taxes. Verified the carfax and autocheck and drove to the shop where the car was serviced earlier. The service records seems ok. Just the spark plugs / brakes were done . Transmission fluid was changed by this honda dealer a couple of days back. Will be installing the VCMuzzler II (blue band) . When driving down the highway, felt the steering has a strong pull to the left. Looks like alignment issue. The tires are Cooper CS5.

Timing belt is still not done. So wondering if i should do it immediately or wait for some more time? Same with Serpentine belt and tensioner.
Also does this van has bluetooth audio playback? it connected for calls but didnt play audio from phone.

Anything else needs to be checked?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow 40k that's a gem! Would love to see some pics. Price wise looks a bit to high for me...but hey each area is different. As long as you are happy with it that's what matters. Regarding the pulling issue, not sure if it normal but mine tent to do the same thing since day one. Sometimes it goes straight sometime it pulls...but tires wise looks to be on good alignment...I was told it could be the road which are angled to one side for water draining.

1. Ill do a tranny fluid change anyways. (Drain and fill)
2. Full timing belt change with Aisin THK-002 (timing belt is done at 100k or 10 years which ever come first)
3. Replace serpentine belt OEM
4. While doing the TB replace coolant oem honda.
5. And a "must" like you already had in mind VCMuzzler II. Blue or Red band depends on your location. Im in South Florida and Blue is the way to go. Red will turn on the check engine light once in a while.
6. If your headlights are still in great shape, wrap it up in 3M clear film.

Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow 40k that's a gem! Would love to see some pics. Price wise looks a bit to high for me...but hey each area is different. As long as you are happy with it that's what matters. Regarding the pulling issue, not sure if it normal but mine tent to do the same thing since day one. Sometimes it goes straight sometime it pulls...but tires wise looks to be on good alignment...I was told it could be the road which are angled to one side for water draining.

1. Ill do a tranny fluid change anyways. (Drain and fill)
2. Full timing belt change with Aisin THK-002 (timing belt is done at 100k or 10 years which ever come first)
3. Replace serpentine belt OEM
4. While doing the TB replace coolant oem honda.
5. And a "must" like you already had in mind VCMuzzler II. Blue or Red band depends on your location. Im in South Florida and Blue is the way to go. Red will turn on the check engine light once in a while.
6. If your headlights are still in great shape, wrap it up in 3M clear film.

Welcome to the family!
Thanks kaimanson. Have attached some of the pictures. The exterior was not in a very good shape. There were 2 minor dents and few scrapes.I am living in Albany NY. So I guess installing blue resistor should be fine . I had the same blue VCMuzzlerII installed on my 08 Odyssey EXL, however during long trips, eco light used to come after around 1.5 hours of driving. So not sure if i should use blue or red band. I am planning to wait another 6 months to do the timing belt plus coolant change. Headlights are in great shape. where to buy the 3M clear film?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
There are 2 versions of the Cooper CS5. The Grand Touring and the Ultra Touring. The Ultra Touring model is complete crap for some reason and tire dealers are seeing close to a 50% defect rate with regard to balance issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh. Could the 'pulling to the left' issue be related to these new cooper tires?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow 40k that's a gem! Would love to see some pics. Price wise looks a bit to high for me...but hey each area is different. As long as you are happy with it that's what matters.
Yes,the competition was stiff and dealer was not ready to reduce . i am sure i paid around $2k more. but i felt the van drove well during test drive and thats why i pulled the plug.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Oh. Could the 'pulling to the left' issue be related to these new cooper tires?
Absolutely possible. If you are a DIY guy do a tire rotation and see if the pull is affected. Either way I would get the alignment checked. Alignment would be on my "to do" list if the tires are good enough to warrant the expense or the pull is bad enough.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
DAMN! That's a nice buy!

Change the belts as soon as you can. Get the Aisin TB kit and have a good shop install it.
Also change the ATF. Honda ATF-DW1 only.
Most importantly disable VCM: VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAMN! That's a nice buy!

Change the belts as soon as you can. Get the Aisin TB kit and have a good shop install it.
Thanks MrRangerZr1. I am not a DIY person. I can buy the TB Kit and the Honda ATF-DW1. But the problem is finding the good shop. I tried it before to talk to them. Most shops say they will use their own parts only.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe the bluetooth is for hands-free calling only, if it's like our 2010 EX-L RES NAV. Still a useful feature.

We tried a small bluetooth device plugged into the line in, but we just use the line in cord now because it's easier.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Most shops say they will use their own parts only.
It's imperative for the timing belt job, that you find an independent mechanic that will accept your provided Aisin timing belt kit parts. It's the best kit to get. You can buy this on Rock Auto for $200 or less. Augment the kit with a new thermostat and Honda coolant, and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's imperative for the timing belt job, that you find an independent mechanic that will accept your provided Aisin timing belt kit parts. It's the best kit to get. You can buy this on Rock Auto for $200 or less. Augment the kit with a new thermostat and Honda coolant, and you'll be all set.
Yeah got it. Not sure how to find an indy mechanic. Do you guys have any recommendations around the NY area?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.MrRangerZr1.So i will plan on buying the Aisin timing belt , Honda coolant and then plan my visit. Can you please PM me or refer me to a contact who works there? That way, it will be easier for me to connect with them. Also it would be great if you can PM me, approx how much it will cost for labor? I am at Albany, NY.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thanks.MrRangerZr1.So i will plan on buying the Aisin timing belt , Honda coolant and then plan my visit. Can you please PM me or refer me to a contact who works there? That way, it will be easier for me to connect with them. Also it would be great if you can PM me, approx how much it will cost for labor? I am at Albany, NY.

Thanks.
I believe it's far from you, but if I were you I would go haha. He's one of the best automotive youtuber, search up South Main Auto Repair on google, the address should come up. His name is Eric O.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DAMN! That's a nice buy!

MrRangerZr1, Which place do you recommend to buy the Aisin TB Kit for the 2010 Odyssey Touring? Planning on buying the Serpentine belt and tensioner from Honda itself along with Coolant and ATF. Is valve adjustment required a this mileage(40k)?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Most people buy the Aisin kit from Rock Auto. Do not buy it from Amazon, as there have been reports of counterfeit parts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts