Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just FYI, I bought a 2002 ody eX-L(RES) and i thought i'd unload my '95 taurus via the net. placed ads on both autotrader and stoneage and haven't even had a bite. will be going the local paper route now (which is what i should've done first) with that said, it appears to be a poor time to try and sell a used car; i wonder if i'm just suffering from a geographical anomaly in that I live in Tucson. I'm curious if any of you have had any success lately selling that used car to make room for your ODY. As for my experience, i probably should've have gone for the low-ball trade-in offer from the dealer. once i add-in the insurance and registration costs for an un-used vehicle, that low-ball offer doesn't seem as low anymore.

eric
tucson, AZ

·
Registered
13 Posts
edp10,

As a matter of fact I sold my nice luxurious 99 Volvo Cross country in 1 day. Actually it was from an Autotrader ad I placed on the the web. I got an additional 8 calls after the sale on Saturday before I could pull the add.

With that said I think it is the vehicle you are selling and not the market. Afterall, I live in Oregon, the state with the the highest unemployment rate in the country.

I sold because I am soon will have a 3 kid (small kids) family and need the space. My 2002 GG EXL RES is in route.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Newspaper article here in Chicago said that there is a glut of used vehicles due to the recession. To make things more complex, I think that there was a large number of vehicles donated to charities at the end of 2001, too.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
859 Posts
I got lucky and sold my '88 Ford Aerostar mini-van to a co-worker's family member who knew it had been pampered.
I wasn't expecting a quick sale considering the current used car market, but that's how it worked out.

The Honda dealer quoted a very low ball number for a trade-in even though my trade was a cream puff so to speak. Not unexpected.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck with your sale.

-Mark

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sold my 3rd car to my brother-in-law. I would have to agree with an earlier post regarding the car. I had a 94 Taurus and ended up selling it to a used car lot. My recommendation would be to clay bar and zaino the 95 Taurus and stop by a few of your local used car lots. They will definately try to low ball you on the price but if you have a price in mind see if they would meet or split the difference.

Best of luck........

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by edp10:
just FYI, I bought a 2002 ody eX-L(RES) and i thought i'd unload my '95 taurus via the net. placed ads on both autotrader and stoneage and haven't even had a bite. will be going the local paper route now (which is what i should've done first) with that said, it appears to be a poor time to try and sell a used car; i wonder if i'm just suffering from a geographical anomaly in that I live in Tucson. I'm curious if any of you have had any success lately selling that used car to make room for your ODY. As for my experience, i probably should've have gone for the low-ball trade-in offer from the dealer. once i add-in the insurance and registration costs for an un-used vehicle, that low-ball offer doesn't seem as low anymore.

eric
tucson, AZ
</font>
It might not be a problem selling used cars. It could be that it is a Taurus, Ford has had a tough public relations year.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What are you asking for the Taurus? The reason why I ask is that I have a '94 Taurus GL Wagon that I'll be selling if and when I get an Odyssey. Based on what little research I've done, it's worth about $4,000 max right now.

------------------

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Neo good luck on trying to get 4k for the 94 wagon. I had a 94 GL Sedan and got 2500 for mine over a year ago and that was to a used car lot guy. Problem with the Ford Taurs is there are just tooooooooooo many of them out there. Mine had no dents scraps or mechanical problems what so ever but couldnt get a buyer for it around 4k which is what it was worth about a little over a year ago. The wagon is a great car my mom had a 91 Mercury Sable wagon and it was a fun car to drive until my little sister decieded it needed a face lift and had the front end ripped off by a pick-up truck. She was okay but rest in peace 91 wagon.

Wish you the best of luck on the 94 wagon..the dealer might not be a bad place to unload it and I would give them some heat on a retail trade in price especially if your buying the ODY at MSRP. Or at least $500 off Retail for the Taurus.

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4theboys:
Hey Neo good luck on trying to get 4k for the 94 wagon. I had a 94 GL Sedan and got 2500 for mine over a year ago and that was to a used car lot guy. Problem with the Ford Taurs is there are just tooooooooooo many of them out there. Mine had no dents scraps or mechanical problems what so ever but couldnt get a buyer for it around 4k which is what it was worth about a little over a year ago. The wagon is a great car my mom had a 91 Mercury Sable wagon and it was a fun car to drive until my little sister decieded it needed a face lift and had the front end ripped off by a pick-up truck. She was okay but rest in peace 91 wagon.

Wish you the best of luck on the 94 wagon..the dealer might not be a bad place to unload it and I would give them some heat on a retail trade in price especially if your buying the ODY at MSRP. Or at least $500 off Retail for the Taurus.
</font>
They gave me $1000 yes One GRAND for my 93 Taurus GL in August 2001 when I traded it in for the Accord V6LX. But I just couln't live with it anymore and edp10 makes me feel better that I traded it in for the low ball offer that the Honda dealer gave me. I should have tried the used car lots first though. The thing had 104K miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for those who ask, my 95 GL sedan is in excellent mechanical condition and has 77K miles. i'm asking $4500. after trolling edmunds, NADA, and KBB and getting their "private party sale" value I got everything from $3500-$5000. Unfortunately there are a zillion of these on sale in town at used car lots; nevertheless, they all want between $6500-$8000 for the equivalent condition and mileage. i guess i can always lower the price.....

eric

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of the local Ford dealers in the Atlanta area was advertising 0% interest for used cars because they had so many in stock. I only saw the ad once. It really piqued my interest, but we can't swing another car payment for a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just sold our 92 Civic to the brother-in-law of our insurance agent. Never advertised. Got $1400 plus Viper alarms for the Ody and 98 Civic (worth $200-300 each). Haven't even had the Ody 3 weeks.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic

Previous Hondas:
1992 Civic LX, Red
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know that Edmunds.com has bruised some here, but if you go over there search for a topic called real world trade in values.

There are a couple of used car gurus there (one deals in high end used and the other I believe is a used car buyer for a dealer group) that'll give you a straight answer on what it's worth and will also help you out with used cars you are looking to buy.

------------------
00 EX - Taffeta White
MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts