·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
Oh no! Is the pan stripped, or the plug is stripped, or what exactly happened there?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Pretty easy fix, several approaches are available. I would take the plug to your local NAPA and ask about the options they offer. I'm assuming you need to get it back on the road quickly. Else, lots of options from internet sellers.

Oversize plug that will cut new threads in pan is probably the easiest.

Reactions: adr5 and Nrajeff

·
Registered
872 Posts
You should be able to get one of those thread liner and install it. just make sure when you re-drill it, you drill it straight so the washer can sit flush, my dealer messed it up and it sits a BIT crooked so need 2 crush washer or a nylon washer. Otherwise it will drip.

Or you can try re-tapping it to higher size nut.

Whatever you do, if you drill it, my suggestion would be to drop the pan and do it since it could leave metal shavings inside if you do it while it is on the car. (which probably mean you should get a new oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The plug is M14 -1.50, 17MM head.

What size of helicoil should I get to rethread it? And plug?
Whatever helicoil recommends. And it should restore use of the original plug. That's what helicoil does.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
When I bought my van, I noticed different bolt with 19mm head. Looks like the repair used a different standard bolt I think is common with BMWs or something.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
How did this occur? Factory?
It's a 2010 or older, so I'd guess it's had a few oil changes since leaving the factory. But I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2003 Odyssey EX-L/NAVI 260,000 miles
60 Posts
I encountered the same problem on my 2003 Odyssey: after dealer’s umpteenth oil change (at 240,000 miles) they reported “stripped threads” in oil pan and recommended replacing the oil pan at huge expense (& did not admit any fault for causing this problem).

I researched the many potential solutions and found the best one did NOT require re-drilling, tapping, specialized bolts or replacing the pan!

Instead, I applied Eric-the-car-guy’s solution, which consists of using a longer bolt, to reach the ‘good’ threads further into the threaded hole of the pad!

Eric warns this will bail you out and will last well, so long as you don’t strip the remaining threads, so be sure to use a fresh crush washer every oil change and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a TORQUE WRENCH (& apply no more than 30 ft-lb). I use 25 ft-lb.

Do not rely on “feel” (that’s how my pan threads originally got stripped). My Odyssey is still going strong, and I now do all of my own changes, to be sure bolt is carefully threaded in and that no excessive force is applied. And, no leaks!

Good luck! Please do let us know how it turns out for you!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I encountered the same problem on my 2003 Odyssey: after dealer’s umpteenth oil change (at 240,000 miles) they reported “stripped threads” in oil pan and recommended replacing the oil pan at huge expense (& did not admit any fault for causing this problem).

I researched the many potential solutions and found the best one did NOT require re-drilling, tapping, specialized bolts or replacing the pan!

Instead, I applied Eric-the-car-guy’s solution, which consists of using a longer bolt, to reach the ‘good’ threads further into the threaded hole of the pad!

Eric warns this will bail you out and will last well, so long as you don’t strip the remaining threads, so be sure to use a fresh crush washer every oil change and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a TORQUE WRENCH (& apply no more than 30 ft-lb). I use 25 ft-lb.

Do not rely on “feel” (that’s how my pan threads originally got stripped). My Odyssey is still going strong, and I now do all of my own changes, to be sure bolt is carefully threaded in and that no excessive force is applied. And, no leaks!

Good luck! Please do let us know how it turns out for you!
Using a torque wrench is not a bad idea. I've been doing oil changes on my vehicles for decades and I have never used a torque wrench and I have never had any issues. No stripped threads and no leaks. I usually replace the washer, but I have also reused them on occasion with no issues.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I like doing these simple things myself. Nothing worse than paying someone to screw up your vehicle and then expect you to pay them extra to fix their mistakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts