Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I thought I'd post this question since I couldn't find anything about it after a few months of on and off searching online, and the response that I got from two Honda Dealer Service Departments was, "Our techs couldn't reproduce the issue". Of course, we all know that means... The issue: When braking in my van and making a turn, the car brakes normally until close to the end, when the braking pressure seams to decrease and the car "coasts forward". It literally feels as if something gives at the rear of the vehicle. This may also be happening while braking in a straight line, just that it is much more noticeable when braking into a turn. I did replace my whole braking system recently, (including rotors, brake lines/hoses, properly installed new or reconditioned calipers and pads, new parking brake components-properly broken in). I did not do anything with the brake booster since it seems to be holding pressure well, as far as I can tell. I had the issue prior to doing all this work, and it's still the same issue. Again, it feels more like something is giving at the rear of the car, almost as if the rear brake pads release, or something to do with what's connected to the rear wheels. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've been having the same issue, I haven't noticed around turns b/c I don't tend to stop at a turn. But, while going straight I have felt this

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have the problem before you replaced the 'whole' braking system?
Hi and thank you for your question. Yes, the problem was present prior to the brake work and had not changed since. I should also note another interesting anomoly that may be related to the braking issue mentioned in the original post. When driving the car and coming to a final stop, I put it in park, apply the parking brake, and then release the brake pedal, the car moves forward slightly. I do wonder whether that is related to the braking/turning issue in the original post. I don't think that the car should be moving forward at all after applying the parking brake, but it does. Now I do wonder whether I have some strange issue with the transmission, which seems to work well otherwise. Also, the car has 165,000 miles. Thank you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi and thank you for your question. Yes, the problem was present prior to the brake work and had not changed since. I should also note another interesting anomoly that may be related to the braking issue mentioned in the original post. When driving the car and coming to a final stop, I put it in park, apply the parking brake, and then release the brake pedal, the car moves forward slightly. I do wonder whether that is related to the braking/turning issue in the original post. I don't think that the car should be moving forward at all after applying the parking brake, but it does. Now I do wonder whether I have some strange issue with the transmission, which seems to work well otherwise. Also, the car has 165,000 miles. Thank you.
When you park your car, (at least in my experience) it's normal for it to move slightly. That is the car transferring the load from the brake pads to the parking pawl which generally has a little bit of play and doesn't always slot in between the teeth of the "park gear" which is just an internal stop on the output side of the transmission that stops power from being transferred through. Although, since you said that it happens with the parking brake on, I'd say that the parking brake may not be fully engaging allowing the movement to still occur.

TL;DR: that's normal, adjust the parking brake

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you park your car, (at least in my experience) it's normal for it to move slightly. That is the car transferring the load from the brake pads to the parking pawl which generally has a little bit of play and doesn't always slot in between the teeth of the "park gear" which is just an internal stop on the output side of the transmission that stops power from being transferred through. Although, since you said that it happens with the parking brake on, I'd say that the parking brake may not be fully engaging allowing the movement to still occur.

TL;DR: that's normal, adjust the parking brake

Yes, thank you again for your response. Everything that you wrote is exactly the way that my car has always behaved. I did use the correct procedure for adjusting the park brake when I changed out the park brake components and installed the new parking brake shoes. I also ran Honda's suggested brake-in procedure for the new shoes and re-adjusted the park brake after the brake-in procedure. I also have new rotors on the rear. Yet, when stopping, putting the car in park, applying the park brake and then releasing the foot brake, the car definitely moves forward slightly, and as you mention, I also find this to be extremely odd. I can't think of how the car could move forward with the park brake applied. I wonder whether this is related to the problem that I mentioned in my original post about the car "coasting forward" when braking into a turn (such as when your braking at an intersection to turning to do left-turn or a u-turn). Could a failing brake booster or brake master cylinder cause such an issue? Maybe the hydraulic pressure in the brake master cylinder gets so high during braking that at some point something in the master cylinder gives slightly and causes a minor drop in hydraulic pressure? I don't know much about how these components work or what symptoms might occur if they are failing...(I have replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes according to Honda's shop manual).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, thank you again for your response. Everything that you wrote is exactly the way that my car has always behaved. I did use the correct procedure for adjusting the park brake when I changed out the park brake components and installed the new parking brake shoes. I also ran Honda's suggested brake-in procedure for the new shoes and re-adjusted the park brake after the brake-in procedure. I also have new rotors on the rear. Yet, when stopping, putting the car in park, applying the park brake and then releasing the foot brake, the car definitely moves forward slightly, and as you mention, I also find this to be extremely odd. I can't think of how the car could move forward with the park brake applied. I wonder whether this is related to the problem that I mentioned in my original post about the car "coasting forward" when braking into a turn (such as when your braking at an intersection to turning to do left-turn or a u-turn). Could a failing brake booster or brake master cylinder cause such an issue? Maybe the hydraulic pressure in the brake master cylinder gets so high during braking that at some point something in the master cylinder gives slightly and causes a minor drop in hydraulic pressure? I don't know much about how these components work or what symptoms might occur if they are failing...(I have replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes according to Honda's shop manual).
I should've also mentioned that I have no evidence of a vacuum leak anywhere, and my car has no check engine codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts