Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Odyssey in for it's first oil change and told the service dept. that the brakes were making a hissing sound. They told me the brake booster was faulty and they would have to overnight a part to fix it. The dealer paid for a rental car for my use until it is fixed. They said it was dangerous to drive in that condition.

Anyone else have problems like this? I hope this isn't a prelude of things to come. I've my fill of problems with the Chrysler van I used to have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lyonsody:
Mapman,

Here is my posting from May......

........."It seems that while you are driving and apply the brakes the pedal will unexpectedly go all the way to the floor. I mean almost ALL THE WAY. You feel as though you might not stop. It always does stop and the problem only occurs occasionally. But it really catches you by surprise when it does happen......."

It turned out to be the master cylinder. (This was the first week of ownership) As far as the hissing sound when you apply the brakes...it has always done that and so does my father in laws 99 Odyssey. I was told it's normal.

You might want to check my earlier post called MAJOR PROBLEM 2 ON BRAND NEW ODYSSEY. We have had really bad luck during our first 2 months of ownership. Please let me know the status of your repair. If the hissing is not normal it means our van officially becomes a lemon under state law and we can take Honda to court. I wanted a new van after the steering went out and Honda said no.

Good Luck
</font>
lyonsody,
I don't believe the hissing is normal. If it was I don't think the dealer would be repairing the booster. I will be out of town for a few days, but will let you know when I get back and see what they have done to fix it. I also have a friend with a '01 Ody. and I will ask him if his van hisses.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer fixed the brake booster. They had to ship a booster three times. The first two times it was damaged in shipping. It wasn't packed well from the Ohio factory. The dealer actually called the man who packed the part to suggest he pack it better.

lyonsody,
My '01 Odyssey would make a hissing sound when the brake was depressed and would continue making the noise as long as the brake was pressed. If yours is making this kind of sound, even after the van has come to a stop, you may want to have it checked. The van's brakes seemed to work fine during this time, but the dealer told me they could have failed at any time.

Good luck with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts