Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
i got a 2003 EX-L and it's inthe shop right now and the service guy calls me to say it needs a full brake job.
it's got 88Kilometres on it and the rear brakes squealing something fierce.

and says it'll cost about 988 bucks to do it.
(new pads, rotors etc)
What do you think about this..
is it a ripoff?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Call around to some auto-parts places and price F/R rotors and pads. If you can't change them yourself, try and find a friend or relative who can help. If you can do the labor yourself you will save a ton of cash.

Almost a grand for brakes seems a little steep to me. Is this at a honda dealership?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, it's a honda dealership
3 hrs labour, and the rest in parts labour is about 340 bucks of the total cost

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Front/rear OEM pads are like $100 total.

I agree, learn to do it yourself, or find a friend to help you. Even replacing the rotors would only add another $250 or somesuch to the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I called around it'd be 100 bucks for front and rear pads, but the front rotors were going to be ranging from 50 bucks to 125 bucks a piece depending on the brand.
and the rear drums weren't in stock..
If i learned to do it myself, it'd be the labour I'd be saving.
(I usually like to buy the mid to high end priced items just cuz I think you get what you pay for.)

thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You don't have rear drums.

www.tirerack.com has both front and rear Brembo's in stock for $71/$69 each. Brembo is well known for their brakes, and I've put them on all my cars/vans.

Even authentic Honda discs are $88/$76 from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. $44 each for the front/rear pad sets as well.

So lets assume all-honda....

$76*2+$88*2+$44*2 = $416, and add $20 for shipping.

I think a few hours of my time is worth $500. Actually, if you know what you are doing and work quickly, the job could be complete in one hour.

Even better, if you check at the rotors and find they are good, the cost can be $100 and the job can be even faster.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Rear brakes usually last much longer than the front. It's odd that all four corners need to be done at the same time. However, a seized rear caliper could cause increased pad wear followed by the squealing you mentioned. This hydraulic work can escalate the cost significantly. Does the dealer estimate include any hydraulic work? Did they explain why the rear brakes are so worn?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, no real explanation, usual stealership type of work.
anyways, work is done.
moving on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts