Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Brake Controller Wiring for 2018 EX-L

1554 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  gfhartzell
I'm thinking about doing a self-installation of a Curt Echo brake controller on our 2018 EX-L. No factory tow package. Anyone have any experience with the wiring set-up on the newer model Odysseys? Any tricks or warnings? Anyone learned hard lessons or want to offer encouragement? Also would love recommendations about parts...
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Check out etrailer.com. They have great tutorial videos. Then look at the OEM install instructions for the tow package to get some better ideas for routing of cables.
This will be my next project if we don't end up trading in the Ody for a Highlander :).
There is a great break controller offered for Ody at the above site, thinking about installing it to the left of the steering wheel, in an unused switch blank.

· Registered
3 Posts
I am installing a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller in my 2018 Touring which I removed from my previous 2007 EX-L which came off my previous 2000 EX. Does anyone know where I should connect to the brake sensing line of the brake controller. I can see a connector at the top of the brake pedal and there is probably a micro switch which detects depression of the brake pedal but the voltages and wire sizes are different from the 3rd gen to the 5th gen because of the way the brakes operate. I was thinking that I may have to find the wire that goes to the brake light and use that instead. I would appreciate any insight - I have checked numerous on-line videos but none seem to discuss this particular issue for 5th gen.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am installing a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller in my 2018 Touring which I removed from my previous 2007 EX-L which came off my previous 2000 EX. Does anyone know where I should connect to the brake sensing line of the brake controller. I can see a connector at the top of the brake pedal and there is probably a micro switch which detects depression of the brake pedal but the voltages and wire sizes are different from the 3rd gen to the 5th gen because of the way the brakes operate. I was thinking that I may have to find the wire that goes to the brake light and use that instead. I would appreciate any insight - I have checked numerous on-line videos but none seem to discuss this particular issue for 5th gen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.