Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011, and noticed that brake was giving a lot of dust. The shiny rims were already coated with brake dust on the first trip home from the dealership.

Has anyone replaced the OEM pads with ceramic or other types that generate less dust? If so, please share your info.

Thx.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'd give it a few thousand miles...

you're (pun not intended) breaking in new pads & rotors. as the surfaces get to the point where they're fully broken in, they generally produce less dust until the pads are almost gone.

I just crossed 5000 miles, and our vehicle is typically driven in stop & go traffic for 60 miles a day, and I've noticed that our wheels don't get terribly dusty until after about a month.

I think with the EX-L rims, it's less noticeable with the multi-color design, so it might be more of an issue for touring trims.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Some ceramic pads do REDUCE brake dust but can never eliminate it.

The Honda OEM pads on the last 3 new Honda's I bought did in fact produce a lot more dust than most aftermarket pads I can recall installing.

That said, OEM pads on the Ody are really good. I would live with the dust until they're worn and then opt to try something else.

·
Registered
632 Posts
EBC brake pads have low dust.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I haven't noticed any heavy brake dust accumulation. At least, not to any extent that I did in my '04 Ford Escape. Now, THAT vehicle produced a lot of brake dust.

Before running through a carwash, or even when I was my Ody by hand, I spray the wheels down with Meguiar's wheel cleaner. Works real well on getting the crud off. Sometimes I use a brush and scrub, sometimes I just spray them down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, with 1K miles on a new Touring I've noticed an unusual amount of brake dust. It's the (front) pads wearing (duh) and doubt they have been seated-in. Wonder if Honda is using softer than normal pads?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I just bought a 2011, and noticed that brake was giving a lot of dust. The shiny rims were already coated with brake dust on the first trip home from the dealership.

Has anyone replaced the OEM pads with ceramic or other types that generate less dust? If so, please share your info.

Thx.
As people have posted above, the newer car the most dust you'll see. I've seen Bimmers and Audis with the same issue, there is not much you can do but clean-off regularly.

Get yourself a pressure washer, and clean once in a while (when the brakes cool down of course), quick and easy. I see you live in PA, so in Summer helps cleaning hood/grille bugs and in Winter to wash off salt and alikes

·
Registered
427 Posts
As people have posted above, the newer car the most dust you'll see. I've seen Bimmers and Audis with the same issue, there is not much you can do but clean-off regularly.

Get yourself a pressure washer, and clean once in a while (when the brakes cool down of course), quick and easy. I see you live in PA, so in Summer helps cleaning hood/grille bugs and in Winter to wash off salt and alikes
Agreed, my M56X Infiniti, the brake dust is even worse than the Oddy... I usually wipe them once a week, then It's ok. If you let it build up it's a pain to clean. Watch with the pressure washer, I wouldn't use that, I know a guy that damaged his calipers, had it set to high and sprayed in the wrong area... Use a garden hose at most...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Agreed, my M56X Infiniti, the brake dust is even worse than the Oddy... I usually wipe them once a week, then It's ok. If you let it build up it's a pain to clean. Watch with the pressure washer, I wouldn't use that, I know a guy that damaged his calipers, had it set to high and sprayed in the wrong area... Use a garden hose at most...
Sorry, I meant real performance luxury cars, such as the BMW ALPINA B7 or the Audi R8, not a luxury Nissan... just kidding :p

Yes, a small residential strength power washer does OK, just enough pressure to clean fences, patio chairs, etc. (1400 PSI?)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry, I meant real performance luxury cars, such as the BMW ALPINA B7 or the Audi R8, not a luxury Nissan... just kidding :p

Yes, a small residential strength power washer does OK, just enough pressure to clean fences, patio chairs, etc. (1400 PSI?)
LOL!.. M56X was a bargain for it's performance compared to some of the cars from BMW and Mercedes I was looking at.. In the USA there are no lesser Nissan versions of the infiniti lineup, otherwise I would have bought the Nissan version.

I usually wipe it with hands or a hose at the most. Depends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts