Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Odyssey EX - 167,000 miles

I completed my first pad/rotor replacement today. Good experience, 2nd side went so much smoother than the first side. Mainly because I was going back and forth from YouTube videos at first, and had to backtrack and take things apart a couple of times to fix a screw up. But overall I got it done, torque specs and all (thanks MrRangerZR1!).

After the work, I pumped my brakes back up and took it for a spin around the neighborhood, braking frequently. Seemed ok. I noticed when I got back a couple puddles of water in the garage, underneath where I was working. Common thing in the humid part of Texas, especially since I ran the car for a bit in the open garage with the AC on (after my oil change). A few hours later one puddle still hadn’t evaporated, so I wiped it up with a paper towel and it appeared to be brake fluid. I didn’t tear any lines during the brake job, and was careful to hang the caliper with a bungee cord with the lines not twisted. I also ensured they weren’t twisted when I reinstalled the calipers.

When I looked at the master cylinder, the level is good, but as you can see in the picture where the red arrows are pointing, there appears to be an overflow where the plastic reservoir goes into the black part (my mechanic language is at its end here). Any idea what happened and should I be concerned?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
overfilled or pumping the pedal too hard after the service?

clean up the area with some brake cleaner and observe.

at first glance it seems like the master rear seal.
certainly something you want to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I completed my first pad/rotor replacement today. Good experience, 2nd side went so much smoother than the first side. Mainly because I was going back and forth from YouTube videos at first, and had to backtrack and take things apart a couple of times to fix a screw up. But overall I got it done, torque specs and all (thanks MrRangerZR1!).

After the work, I pumped my brakes back up and took it for a spin around the neighborhood, braking frequently. Seemed ok. I noticed when I got back a couple puddles of water in the garage, underneath where I was working. Common thing in the humid part of Texas, especially since I ran the car for a bit in the open garage with the AC on (after my oil change). A few hours later one puddle still hadn’t evaporated, so I wiped it up with a paper towel and it appeared to be brake fluid. I didn’t tear any lines during the brake job, and was careful to hang the caliper with a bungee cord with the lines not twisted. I also ensured they weren’t twisted when I reinstalled the calipers.

When I looked at the master cylinder, the level is good, but as you can see in the picture where the red arrows are pointing, there appears to be an overflow where the plastic reservoir goes into the black part (my mechanic language is at its end here). Any idea what happened and should I be concerned?
how full was it before you compressed the calipers? Was the cap loose at that time?Hopefully it overflowed during compression.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
735 Posts
The plastic part is the master cylinder reservoir, which sits atop the master cylinder (where the brake lines connect) which is attached to the brake booster (black part).

·
Registered
428 Posts
I always open the bleeder at the calipers when fully decompressing pistons for brand new pads. I saw the same thing at the master cylinder years back when I didn't open bleeder screws and forced all brake fluid back into master cylinder.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
All good info above... if someone topped up the reservoir with brake fluid because it looked low.
BTW never do this.
when you compressed the calipers for the new pads, this could cause an overflow situation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good info above... if someone topped up the reservoir with brake fluid because it looked low.
BTW never do this.
when you compressed the calipers for the new pads, this could cause an overflow situation.
In November I had a local shop flush the brake fluid that was doing some other work for me. It could have had more fluid than necessary (after the blowout, the reservoir is still at the max level). I did that myself a couple of years ago as well. I may have added some fluid since then, I can’t remember…..I look at my fluids all the time and sometimes add if it’s not at the max line. I’ve never seen a fluid line that satisfied me :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Some of us do a fluid exchange as part of pad replacement. Suck MC reservoir dry with a kitchen baster or Mity Vac. Proceed with pad/rotor replacement. Open bleeder (with "dirty fluid" hose on bleeder screw) when compressing piston. After reassembly, fill MC and "bleed" until fluid coming out looks new.

There is a camp here that scorns ever adding fluid between fluid exchanges, so that pads can be replaced and pistons compressed without having to stop and think. The fervency of their belief approaches a religious tenet. You may see it in response to my saying this😉.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
if you look below the master reservoir, you will see some fluid in the bolt hole below.

if you touch the bottom of the reservoir it is likely wet, some fluid overflowed went into the hole below and trickled along the bottom to the brake booster.

clean things up and see if anything returns.

Edit: looked a little closer that reflection in the hole looks more like a scratch in the aluminum.
:ROFLMAO:

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Tire Human body

·
Registered
546 Posts
You need some air space in the reservoir - or it will make its own. Imagine how hot the reservoir can get right there with the engine on a warm day - the fluid expands and something's got to give.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
^^^ Yup, heed the "F(ull)" line on your reservoir, generally molded in. Along with all your other Full lines...dots...holes....hash marks...etc.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,843 Posts
I may have added some fluid since then, I can’t remember…..I look at my fluids all the time and sometimes add if it’s not at the max line. I’ve never seen a fluid line that satisfied me :)
Yup, there's your problem... Generally, the brake system is designed so that if the pads are new and the brake reservoir is as 'max' - the level will drop to min when the pads are fully worn. Use it as a metal secondary check for pad life...

And now you know to suck out fluid before compressing brake pistons - or at least be aware of the level while you work.

Clean up that brake fluid before it ruins the paint!

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have never forced old brake fluid back into the master cylinder due to the possibility of particle contamination of the ABS system. I always open the bleeder screw and allow the fluid to escape to a waste container. This process requires adding fresh brake fluid to the reservoir when you complete the job and always insures clean fluid in the system. Since Honda recommends regular brake fluid exchanges (flushes), I flush the system on our Odyssey every time that brake pads are replaced. Bleed each wheel until the escaping fluid is clear. We are on our third Odyssey and have never had a brake issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never forced old brake fluid back into the master cylinder due to the possibility of particle contamination of the ABS system. I always open the bleeder screw and allow the fluid to escape to a waste container. This process requires adding fresh brake fluid to the reservoir when you complete the job and always insures clean fluid in the system. Since Honda recommends regular brake fluid exchanges (flushes), I flush the system on our Odyssey every time that brake pads are replaced. Bleed each wheel until the escaping fluid is clear. We are on our third Odyssey and have never had a brake issue.
I will flush again later, but the brake system was flushed back in November, and about 16 months before that. I imagine more fluid was placed in the system than necessary.

should I pump the Brakes after each wheel completed next time? Obviously I will open the bleeder as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts