Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Elite last weekend and noticed the brakes squeak. It's random and can happen any part of the day. Dealer thought it was because of the morning moisture but car is left in garage and I live in SoCal which the temps are pretty warm right now. Then they said its because its a new car that came off the truck. Anyone else have this issues with their Elite?

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had an elite for a few weeks now and have never had this. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can chime in here with thoughts on what could cause it.....I don't think there's a break in period or anything so not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bought the Elite last weekend and noticed the brakes squeak. It's random and can happen any part of the day. Dealer thought it was because of the morning moisture but car is left in garage and I live in SoCal which the temps are pretty warm right now. Then they said its because its a new car that came off the truck. Anyone else have this issues with their Elite?

Thanks
I don't but am in the North East.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm getting the same issue, it has 890 miles on it so far. I didn't noticed until recently around 805 miles. If you press hard on it doesn't squeak, if it press lightly it squeak. Let's see if it will go away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Happy to say that the break issue is gone...for now. Thanks for all your replies!
I'm getting the same issue, it has 890 miles on it so far. I didn't noticed until recently around 805 miles. If you press hard on it doesn't squeak, if it press lightly it squeak. Let's see if it will go away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So the issue came back about a few weeks ago and had my dealership take a look at it. They determined there was a hard spot on one of the brake pads. They smoothed it out and since then no issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Thanks
This sounds like the same problem i had with my 2013 RDX. The brakes would squeak when I feather the brakes. When I took the car in for the first service I told the dealer service department the brakes squeak. They told me they will look at it and told me the problem was due to morning moisture or break-in period. The squeaking mostly happened during the summer months not so much during winter. Then after 3 almost years the problem became more frequent. Almost everytime I went in for service I told them about the brakes noise. It was not until I finally said, "I have had this car for almost 3 years and for a luxury car the brakes have been squeaking since day one. This is not a moisture or break-in problem." The dealer then finally said there was a service bulletin for the problem and then gave me new front brakes and rotors for free and the old were to be sent back to Acura for analysis. No squeaking since the fix.

My point, make sure you get the problem documented each time you take it in for service if it's persistent. It sounds like the same problem that plagued the RDX. There was even a thread in the Acura forums of owners experiencing this problem. I was lucky this time around, I don't have this problem as of yet. The problem started after two months driving the RDX and right before the first service, so I'm not out of the woods yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So the issue came back about a few weeks ago and had my dealership take a look at it. They determined there was a hard spot on one of the brake pads. They smoothed it out and since then no issues.
How long was the service take? Is this something we leave the car the whole day and pick it up after work? Or takes a couple days?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have squeaking brakes since day 1. Just brought it in and of course they claim they cant reproduce the squeaking. I actually find the issue happens above 30 MPH. They cleaned all the break pads. Its ready to be picked up so I will let you guys know

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anyone get this issue resolved? My 2019 ExL does this. Started at 200 miles. Called Honda about it. Went to a different dealership than where i bought it. They agreed to replaced break pads noise was gone for 500 miles and now it’s back. It’s not all the time but it is intermittent. It’s annoying as hell and unacceptable. They are t willing to replace anything else since it didn’t do it when it was there (even though I have a video of it). They want me to document it. Wondering if it’s the rotors or they just use crappy pads?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did anyone get this issue resolved? My 2019 ExL does this. Started at 200 miles. Called Honda about it. Went to a different dealership than where i bought it. They agreed to replaced break pads noise was gone for 500 miles and now it’s back. It’s not all the time but it is intermittent. It’s annoying as hell and unacceptable. They are t willing to replace anything else since it didn’t do it when it was there (even though I have a video of it). They want me to document it. Wondering if it’s the rotors or they just use crappy pads?
Have you tried to re-bed the brakes to get a baseline? Anything without setting a baseline, becomes a speculation with numerous variables.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried to re-bed the brakes to get a baseline? Anything without setting a baseline, becomes a speculation with numerous variables.
Hi! I believe you have commented on a couple of other threads I have regarding the squeaky breaks on my 2019. Your points have been helpful and I have searched online trying to figure out what could be the cause and how to do some of the things you have mentioned. I have been dealing with the dealer and its frustrating because I bring up all the things you have mentioned (possible electronic brake dragging was one example) and they just tell me they inspected my breaks and nothing looks out of the norm. They replaced my brake pads (rear) and it was silent for about 500 miles, now it is squealing again and when it does, it comes from the same left rear which was the problem to begin with. Originally, they told me that some clip was bent, and they re-bent it and didn't hear the squeal. I Drove it off the lot and heard it so I went back. They then machined the rotors because the bent clip ended up marking up the left rear rotor. They also decided to replace the brake pads at that time. Now when it does squeak its intermittent. Some days it will do it and on other days it will not. There is no pattern to it. Delearship is asking me to document it to see if they can establish a pattern. I do not understand why they won't move forward with just replacing the clip that was originally bent and replace my rotors. I'm really at a loss. I have no idea what would be causing this. It seems to be more prevalent when my husband drives the van, but it has done it to me as well, just not as often. I have no idea what "re-bedding" breaks are nor would I know how to do it. I am really struggling with having to do any of these things to it because I had another 2019 that the dealer brought back for other issues I don't want to get into and the breaks NEVER squeaked, not one single time. Some say its crappy organic break pads...I dont even know what to think of that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
@Neekey : I am sorry about the situation you are in and it is not glamorous. It is frustrating to say the least. I have a '19 Elite and mine do not squeak; so it appears it is an isolated issue.

With the introduction of the current generation Civic, back in 2016, the electronic parking brake started its way into many Honda models. For Honda, it is a rather new add-on. I used to own a 2008 Accord, the first year the Electronic brake distribution was implemented and my rear brakes got eaten up so bad it was a joke. After I traded that in two year later, and fast forward couple more years, a recall happened for those EBDs. Point is, though the problem is there, not many (in the grand scheme of things) complain about it and not enough documentation to provide a solution.

Bedding in brakes >> https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6443
- essentially what this means is that you are 'mating' the pad to the rotor, via multiple heat cycles, to work at its optimal designed parameters. OEM brakes, especially in family vehicles such as this, price is a concern and thus a mere average operating parameters are used. Not many drive the vehicle beyond its limits. With the limited thermal capacity of these brakes, it is easy to overburden them, resulting in spongy brakes, 'warped rotors' (rotors do not work, but will hold that for a different discussion', glazed pads, etc that result in poor braking performance. BTW, the Honda brake fluid is total crap. I am sure you noticed you have spongy brakes (unless the dealer changed the fluid). It has been almost 15 months on my Odyssey and the brakes are spongy. I swapped fresh fluid into my Ridgeline last November, and it failed the test over the weekend.

In regards to the noise, can you record it with your cellphone and shoot it over to me in an email (I will provide my email in a private message)? God has given me the ability to do most of maintenance and I do them at home. Mind you, I am no mechanic, but can do most mechanical stuff with no issues, so take what I recommend as a guide. Sometimes, the squeak could be just bad harmonics of the part itself, not the resultant of bad fitment. It is a far fetched though, but I would not discount it. It cannot be the rotor as it is a solid disc.

When I replace my brake pads or brake rotors, this is what I do.
  • disassemble my brake caliper from the caliper bracket
  • disassemble my brake caliper from the knuckle
  • remove the brake rotor
  • clean all surface
  • use high temp ceramic grease on the hub face and replace the rotor. I use the brake disc retaining screw as well (many discard it as it is not needed)
  • I remove the guide pin boots and the guide pins from the caliper, use the same grease from above and place them back in and make sure they work good.
  • I remove the old pad clips, discard them, use wire brush to clean the pocket they sit in and clean it up with brake cleaner
  • i place the same grease from above and ensure the new clips are centered on the bracket.
  • Bolt the caliper bracket, place the pads in correctly (there is an inside pad and outside pad, though they are exactly the same size and shape aside from one little tab).
  • I test the centering of the clips by rotating the hub/disc to ensure nothing is scraping
  • apply the same grease on the pad's backing plate and place the caliper back on and bold it down.
  • install the wheel and torque the lug nuts down to 95-ftlbs while the wheel is off the ground. Many do it with the wheel on the ground, but you can get inaccurate torque reading when the weight of the car is on the wheel.
Honestly, it is a pretty straight forward process and you really cant muck it up.

If there is still a squeak or scraping, then I would move onto the other rotating part, which is the wheel bearing. They are sensitive to load, and thus sensitive to how it is installed. One wrong punch of the bearing into the hub can offset it and cause damage. Since this is the rear, no axle to content with.

Our mainstream braking systems have limits and one hard panic stop, you can push the brakes to their limits. Thermal capacity is always an issue with Honda's OEM offering on mainstream, non sporty models. One of the first things I changed on my Ridgeline was the rotors and pads and that was around 30K miles in. I do not like organic pads and would prefer ceramic or semi metallic. If you were anywhere close to central NJ, I would gladly do my best to take a look at your van.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts