Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 08 ody with 39,000 miles and I have noticed the brakes feel weak to me. Although I'm coming from a mazdaspeed 6 with phenominal brakes they still feel weaker than say my sisters Mitsubishi endevour. Could the front pads need replaced at 39,000 or do I just need to get used to the larger vehicle with average brakes? They don't feel squishy or go to the floor like they need bled just feel like they should be stronger. What are you doing to upgrade braking? Switch to premium ceramic/kevlar pads and premium rotors?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Don't take anyone's advice here when asking IF you should replace them or not. Have someone physically check them out and let you know. If they're the original pads, then yes, you'll most likely have to replace them asap.

Brakes shouldn't feel "weak" at any time, even when they're getting low. A weak feeling in the brake pedal can sometimes mean air in your lines, a leak in the system, a faulty master cylinder, etc. This is also something you should inquire about.

Maybe it's just the nature of the car and that you aren't used to it yet. Unless you have a death wish, you should have your braking system inspected professionally.

I use ceramic pads in every one of my vehicles. They feel fine to me and it keeps the brake dust to a minimum. If you want to upgrade to ~something like~ Hawk's Pads, RedStuff, etc., go ahead, but I personally think you're wasting your money...unless you plan on taking your minivan on autcross.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Define 'stronger'? Are you just used to more brake boost, in a 2400 pound car?

Old pads don't cause poor stopping, they cause grinding.

I guess maybe your pads could have been oiled. Anyone have a grudge?

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plugged my VIN into the website you linked and my van is part of the soft brake recall. How do I find out if the work has been performed on my ody?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is MY response..

Your 2008 Honda Odyssey is included in the 07-08 ODYSSEY ELEMENT SOFT BRK Campaign.

Description 07-08 ODYSSEY ELEMENT SOFT BRK
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status FIXED

P

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya it says fixed. I'm probably just not used to the larger vehicle and longer stopping distance yet. I'm probably going to take the front wheels off and check the pads this weekend just so I know where they are at. When the need replacing I'll switch to regular auto store brand ceramics.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SuperDad said:
Define 'stronger'? Are you just used to more brake boost, in a 2400 pound car?

Old pads don't cause poor stopping, they cause grinding.
They can become glazed though, which can lead to poor
stopping.

Some of the issue with braking has to do with Japanese
cars in general. The Japanese seem to trade brake performance
for ride quality. The brake componentry is unsprung weight and
the Japanese cars, unlike the german cars, tend to use smaller
rotors, calipers, etc. which seem to make the brakes feel less
effective than, say, an Audi.

The stock pads on my Ody seemed to fade way, way too easy.
I switched to Hawk HPS, others use EBC. These performance
brake pads have much better initial bite and a lot less fade.
The brake performance of my Hawks is much more linear than
the stock pads. They do put out more dust and more noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts