Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this forum and I hope to learn more from all of you.

I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L with Nav that I just purchased. I noticed tonight that when the parking lights are off, the all 3 brake lights work as normal.

I have 2 issues:

#1. When I have the parking lights on, the high mount (3rd brake light) is dim but does come full bright when the brake is pressed and dimmed again when released.

#2. again with the parking lights on, and not pressing on the brake, the passenger side brake light looks like the pedal is pressed down, full bright. Then when I do press on the pedal, the same passenger light is like it's the parking light only.

The driver side works normally.

Looks like possibly short but I hope not, any thoughts how I can fix this.

Thanks in advance!

After figuring out how to remove the rear light assembly, I figure maybe the bulb was installed in reverse but after doing so it's still doing the same thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that....

OK so last night I noticed my Cruise Control would NOT engage..... today everything is working fine as it should be.

I did a little bit of aka... diagnosing, while driving and noticed something else. When the lights are OFF everything works normal, cruise control and brake lights as previously indicated. When I turn ON the lights the cruise control dis-engages and will not re-engage when I hit resume. When I turn the lights back OFF it works.

Sure sounds like a short, I hope its a ground that's loose or something.

I will have the dealer check it out. I have a timing belt, power sterring pump tsb, etc. service tomorrow... I guess Im adding this to the list.

Anyone had this problem with their Ody???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All Done

The previous owner kept all the receipts and off course what do I see, 2 accident repair reports. Anyway, I guess carfax is only good if the repair place or insurance company updates the info in carfax, not sure how that works. The car had a clean carfax report, I should see if I can get my money back, LOL.

So the culprit of it all was the rear passenger side light assembly.... the repair place wired it wrong and the socket was bad which was causing the brake lights to function abnormally (with the parking lights ON), the cruise control not working (with the parking lights ON), the radio lights to come ON when you press on the brakes (with the parking lights OFF), the VSA to come ON (with the parking light ON).

Everything is working normally now with the parking light ON or OFF. The dealer replaced the PS Pump and Reservoir, they did the recall on the master cylinder, and I had the timing belt (etc.) all done.

$1k later, yay! :nothappy:

Now I will have to get the K&N engine filter, the cabin filter, and replace the rear shock (found right side leaking). This I should be able to do myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The previous owner kept all the receipts and off course what do I see, 2 accident repair reports. Anyway, I guess carfax is only good if the repair place or insurance company updates the info in carfax, not sure how that works. The car had a clean carfax report, I should see if I can get my money back, LOL.

So the culprit of it all was the rear passenger side light assembly.... the repair place wired it wrong and the socket was bad which was causing the brake lights to function abnormally (with the parking lights ON), the cruise control not working (with the parking lights ON), the radio lights to come ON when you press on the brakes (with the parking lights OFF), the VSA to come ON (with the parking light ON).

Everything is working normally now with the parking light ON or OFF. The dealer replaced the PS Pump and Reservoir, they did the recall on the master cylinder, and I had the timing belt (etc.) all done.

$1k later, yay! :nothappy:

Now I will have to get the K&N engine filter, the cabin filter, and replace the rear shock (found right side leaking). This I should be able to do myself.

You sound almost like me, lol.

I have been doing items on our 07 EXL RES for the past 10 mos now.

Many of the items you listed, I have done as well. The shocks are actually pretty easy to do. I did both rear shocks in about 45min, and that was with many interruptions and doing one side while talking on the phone.

Glad to hear it wasn't a hard fix!
I have personally come to enjoy the work on the family van. It gives me some quiet time away, if you know what I mean lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts