Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three of my brake lights are out on my 2006 odyssey, middle, right and left! All tail lights, turn signals, and back up lights work but when I push brakes nothing lights up. Fuse #13 looks fine. I can't figure it out. No problems shifting into drive from park, but can't find answer. Please help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the rear assembly off and the bulb lit up for regular light use but no change when I hit the brakes. I will have to buy replacement to try but if one part works the whole thing should work, right? Hard for all three of them to go out but I will try new bulb tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Sheepishly). Well. Turns out the bulbs had gone out. Found some, put them in, presto. Sorry and thanks

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
They probabll didn't all go out at once. When was the last time you checked your brake lights?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
This post underscores the safety issues: what if the O.P. braked and the person behind did NOT know and rear-ended him?

I have a BMW and Volvo and both of these vehicles have a "bulb out" warning light on the dash.
Time for Honda to implement this feature in their vehicles.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
This post underscores the safety issues: what if the O.P. braked and the person behind did NOT know and rear-ended him?

I have a BMW and Volvo and both of these vehicles have a "bulb out" warning light on the dash.
Time for Honda to implement this feature in their vehicles.
They do. If one of the 2 corner brake bulbs are out, the BRAKE indicator lights up in the dash. This is for the 1999-2004 Odysseys and I don't think HONDA would discontinue this feature to present models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife's 2007 Odyssey has the passenger corner brake light currently out. I was searching this website on how to properly remove the light assembly to replace the bulb and came upon this thread.

Apparently Honda did discontinue the BRAKE light bulb out warning because our BRAKE light is not indicating anything.

Reactions: Chasco44

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah. I don't see anything in the 2010 owner's manual about the brake light coming on if one or both of the corner brake lights is out either. It only comes on for 3 conditions according to the manual:
1. Briefly at start up or when the key is turned to the on position - as part of the dashboard indicator bulb test
2. If you have the parking break on.
3. The brake fluid level is low.

Nothing about the bulbs being out.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
RE: "Bulb Out" warning dash light....as I mentioned above, this is standard feature in many Euro cars such as Volvo, BMW, MB etc. but not in Japanese cars (I may be wrong).

- I used to have a 2001 Ody LX: no such feature.

- My 2007 Ody LX....looked all over the manual (see attached picture), no such feature.

The bottom line: check your bulbs regularly. Either:
a. Have a helper (your kids etc.) to check the bulbs while you turn on diff things (headlight, brake light etc.).....or
b. Do this at a strip mall with glass. When I stopped by Starbuck coffee shop, I checked my bulbs by looking at the shop glass reflection. Do this for the front and the rear lights. This is a little trick when you don't have a helper.

I think Japanese car mfg's should make this "Bulb Out" warning dash light standard feature in their cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004, and my "brake lamp" indicator light just came on. On the 2004 dash it is just below the open door indicator lights. Right below the light that indicates that my truck is open... time to switch out a brake light or two.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
They probabll didn't all go out at once. When was the last time you checked your brake lights?
I had same issue. BRAKE LIGHTS NOT WORKING! CHECK FORUMS! MUST BE ELECTRICAL OR SOCKET OR FUSE ISSUE!

Turns out both of the high-power filaments were gone. Low filaments still working. A couple bucks and a screwdriver turns later, I have brake lights. My high-stop light was still working through. I think on my 2010 EXL that might be an LED although I might be wrong.

Had I actively checked them for awhile? No. So they prob didn't go out at the same time.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
The high mounted brake light is not an LED. It's just a standard bulb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts