Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my '98 Ody started having braking problems. The pedal is a bit spongy, and occasionally when I come to a stop, I hear the scraping noise that indicates the ABS is pulsating. It's the same noise you hear when you slam on the brakes on a slick surface, but it happens on dry surfaces -- not every time, but enough to be worrisome.

Could a faulty master cylinder be causing the ABS to misbehave? Or do I have multiple issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
May sound off base but check your front brake pads. Your pads sound like they are grinding. ABS is usually a knocking sort of noise as the system cycles, not scraping. Oh and bleed brakes re: spongy pedal. Honestly, I bought a '96 and the pads that were on it, I think OEM, made grinding noises and didn't stop worth a darn. New pads solved both. The friction materials "mix" on pads can be off, I've had that before (on other vehicle) Autozone gave me new pads which in that case did not grind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it were my car I would look at the pads and rotors (take rotors off and inspect the inner surface), and lube the caliper slider pins before putting back together. If I did not see a problem, then I'd bleed the brakes.

Actually, I'd probably bleed the brakes no matter what -- it is always good to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, my initial post was made in haste so I omitted some details. So far, I have:
* replaced front & rear pads with OEM (ceramic) replacements
* replaced all four calipers
* resurfaced three rotors, replaced one
* inspected the parking brake shoes

The noise I describe as 'scraping' is definitely the ABS. I suppose it could also be described as a 'rattling'. In the past, I have only heard it when the car was starting to skid on wet or icy pavement.

I will try re-bleeding the brakes tonight and post the results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
be careful bleeding. if not done correctly you could ruin master cylinder. if peddle going to floor board master probably bad already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts