Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 EX-L w/50K miles has a loud noise from the brakes when moving very slow (idle row) and softly touching brakes on the passenger side only. The noise is quite loud and like a flute mid pitch noise. Normal braking is fine. It only happens when I rolling at very low speeds and softly touch the brakes. I changed the front pads and resufaced the rotors. The rear pads had more meat than my new pads so I decided to only clean the clips and the rear rotors looks normal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did the noise come before the brake job or after? Did the repair change the sound? Does it go away when you push down harder? What brand of pads & rotors did you buy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise was before the changed the front pads (factory). After changing the front pads and resurface rotors in the front only didn't help. The noise is gone if you press harder on the brakes. The replacement pads for the front was Wagner. I have a new set of rear Wagner that I didn't install since they were still very thick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same noise on my 07 ody. Only heard when rolling slowly and applying the brake softly. It seem to be heard mostly when its humid out side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's probably just a chatter. The pad isn't contacting the rotor hard enough so it vibrates a bit making the noise. Vibration noises can be anything from low moans to high pitched screeches depending on the frequency the pad vibrates at. Just brake a little harder.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the same flute-like noise under light braking on my '07 Touring. Still have the original Honda pads front and rear at 36,000 miles. I think its from the rear brakes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There was a TSB about this issue, and the fix had something to do with the e-brake cable routing. I brought mine in when it was still under warranty, and they checked EVERYTHING with the brakes, pulled the brake pads, cleaned everything, etc., and still couldn't get it to go away. After that I agreed it was an annoyance and nothing that was going to be a problem, so we called it a day and 25k miles later, it still does it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Same on my 2007 EX-L. I've owned it 1.5 years and this winter is the first time I heard the noise - only when braking around the turns while drive down 4 levels through the office parking garage. On the street, stopping at lights, etc there is no noise and no noise when turning into my lane and parking in my garage (trip is all of 7 minutes).

The Ody's been to the dealer several times for TSB work and warranty work and have had the brakes looked at twice - no issues found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your reply. At least I am not alone with this noise issue. The only thing remaining to fix is the rear pads / rotors. But that's another weekend project maybe 25K miles from now... :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks everyone for your reply. At least I am not alone with this noise issue. The only thing remaining to fix is the rear pads / rotors. But that's another weekend project maybe 25K miles from now... :)
I wish our rears had lasted that long.

In 40K miles of owning our 05 it had rear pads I think 2 times, the rotors were turned the first time and ultimately replaced the 2nd time around 35K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought I'd go ahead and chime in here with my experience. This is a real problem I have been fighting our local dealer on for the better part of two years. They have replaced pads, resurfaced rotors, and replaced rotors. The flute noise is still there and is constant under light braking pressure while turning, even slightly. I have taken the van to a local repair shop that services Hondas and Toyotas and they tell me it is definately coming from the rear of the vehicle. The dealership can reproduce it but cannot fix it for some reason. Today I opened a case with Honda Corporate to get a resolution. My wife and I are embarrased to drive this and based on what I have read it looks like the 2012 Odyssey possibly has the same issue. It should be something that can be easily fixed, as it didn't do this for the first 18k miles. If anyone has any advice please let me know, it's going to get fixed or traded to another team.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After finding a free few hours, I did a very quick change of the rear pads. The sound is gone. Seeing that it is very difficult to remove the back rotor / parking brake assembly, the quick change only took about 1.5 hours. No anti squeak blue stuff or cleaning of the clips was done. I'm guessing its something to do with the old factory pads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 07 Odyssey touring has 127k miles, and it has made this flute braking noise for probably 100,000 miles. Drives the wife crazy in car line at school. She is always embarrassed by it. I would LOVE to fix this problem. We tried to fix the brake noise several years ago - failed. Probably spent $1k trying. Wife is getting itchy to get a new vehicle, but I bet I could get past that if I could fix the brake noise. Somebody please help me avoid a new car purchase! I am not a mechanic - not in the least. What should I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess I could try changing the rear brake pads too. I was hoping a more definitive solution had been discovered in the years since I tried to address this problem the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a '07 ody as well, same noise on slow braking 2 yrs ago. replaced all rotors and front pads since it got 100k mi. in it and noise was gone until lately it came back. suspecting the rear pads and replaced them, all went well so far. a mechanic friend told me about checking the wheel bearings is next in line if replacing rotors and pads won't help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got a '07 ody as well, same noise on slow braking 2 yrs ago. replaced all rotors and front pads since it got 100k mi. in it and noise was gone until lately it came back. suspecting the rear pads and replaced them, all went well so far. a mechanic friend told me about checking the wheel bearings is next in line if replacing rotors and pads won't help
Been through all this with an 05. Bearings are next. I've replaced pads/rotors all the way around and the low, slow growl is still there. One thing I noticed is it seems to come more from the ebrake than anywhere else. I periodically put the ebrake three or four clicks down and drive 15-20mph for a 1/4 mile, release and let cool. Also in reverse to. That helps seat the ebrake pads into the rotor and the noise goes away for awhile.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
New brake pads did the trick!

Just wanted to say thanks to curiousgeorge2 for the recommendation on the brake pads. I ordered them from Amazon and installed them a few days ago. Now the low speed "flute" noise is gone!!

I don't know if the noise was due to the Honda OEM pad material but I still had 75% thickness on the original pads. I replaced the shims (looked to be identical, just new and shiny) that were included and sprayed Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads before installation.

Either way I'm thrilled the noise is gone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haven't done the brakes on my '06 yet, although I have the slight squeal from the rear pads and will probably need to get to it soon. On other vehicles I own, especially my '87 toyota truck, I've had lots of squealing from the pads. Easy way to see which one is causing the squeal is to clean everything up, all the pins, the clips, any backing shims, and backside of new pads (unless its treated with anti-squeal). Then, either use brake grease (like this: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Brake Squeal/IMG_4338copy.jpg ), or moly-graph bearing grease and coat the parts lightly, including the caliper's piston.

Most squealing from brakes is from the pads loose and vibrating in the calipers, they can vibrate so fast that it literally sounds like a high-pitched flute! The brake grease is sort of buffer between the pads and its clips/pistons/calipers which keeps it from vibrating, or slows the vibration's frequency down enough to cancel the squeal.

Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts