Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Brake pad longevity and wear front vs rear ... 2019 EX-L

411 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  mikidymac
I've had my 2019 EX-L for just under 4 years/51k miles. It was in for the A13 service and some recalls at my dealer and they inspected my brakes. The front were at 7mm and rear at 4mm. I was suprised because I figured the front brakes would wear faster.

For suburban/highway driving, how many miles should you expect from front/rear brakes? I'm wondering if I could hit 100k on the front.

Is it common for the rear pads to wear more quickly?

Thanks!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2018 Touring
54 Posts
The pads on my 2018 Touring wore out "backwards" also. The front still look almost new and the backs are about half life with about 90k miles. I plan to replace the front soon because the front brakes have a pulsating pedal ('warped brake discs') and squeal when using them lightly.

· Registered
57 Posts
I've had my 2019 EX-L for just under 4 years/51k miles. It was in for the A13 service and some recalls at my dealer and they inspected my brakes. The front were at 7mm and rear at 4mm. I was suprised because I figured the front brakes would wear faster.

For suburban/highway driving, how many miles should you expect from front/rear brakes? I'm wondering if I could hit 100k on the front.

Is it common for the rear pads to wear more quickly?

Thanks!
I have similar results of back wearing slightly faster. 2018 EX at just over 4 years/80k miles.
In April 2022 they were reported as 4MM front and 3 rear, which surprised me.

Could it have to do with the electronic parking brake on the rear?

Reactions: Frank Tuna

· Registered
2003 EX-L
3,911 Posts
The pads on my 2018 Touring wore out "backwards" also. The front still look almost new and the backs are about half life with about 90k miles. I plan to replace the front soon because the front brakes have a pulsating pedal ('warped brake discs') and squeal when using them lightly.
Many times a pulsating pedal is caused by brake pad material buildup on the discs and not because of warping.
Or so I have read in these forums.
Buffalo4

· Registered
89 Posts
I had the same issue with our '18 Touring and am coming up to replacing the fronts this spring. I wonder if the supplier for the Ody is the same as the Civic as my moms '19 Civic I replaced the rear pads at 30K KM. There was a TSB, but because I didn't have any vibrations or noise, and the car is very rarely driven it went past the time allotment and was not covered. They weren't expensive, but still an annoying replacement that early.

· Registered
316 Posts
The rears wear faster on all vehicles with Adaptive Cruise they slow the vehicle with the rear brakes first to make it less jarring for passengers.
That’s interesting, I imagine that and brake hold may have something to do with more wear. I was under the impression ACC was more a throttle positioning correction, but makes sense it uses back brakes as well. 👍

· Registered
316 Posts
True, but my point is, brake components don't wear when the vehicle is sitting still.
Yes, understood, but I was thinking when and if ACC does apply the brakes, it’s only the back ones from what I’m reading. I believe the only time brakes and rotors could possibly be damaged more, is hitting the binders hard and holding them causing the heat build up by such an action not to dissipate. Sort of like when the brakes (binders) are wet and one does a panic stop, could cause possible rotor warpage and such.
The brakes on these new vehicles, to me, are so much more sensitive because of all the electronics involved. My thoughts anyway 😁

· Registered
391 Posts
Yes, understood, but I was thinking when and if ACC does apply the brakes, it’s only the back ones from what I’m reading. I believe the only time brakes and rotors could possibly be damaged more, is hitting the binders hard and holding them causing the heat build up by such an action not to dissipate. Sort of like when the brakes (binders) are wet and one does a panic stop, could cause possible rotor warpage and such.
The brakes on these new vehicles, to me, are so much more sensitive because of all the electronics involved. My thoughts anyway 😁
The brakes aren't being damaged, they are just being used. Anytime the brakes are applied heat is generated as these are friction brakes. Because the rear brakes are smaller and typically do less actual braking there is less material than the fronts. But the ACC applies the brakes going down hills, coasting up to another vehicle and if someone cuts in front of you, so they are being used a lot but typically lightly for small speed corrections. So they are going to wear faster than a vehicle without ACC.

The pads of any disc brake system are always in light contact with the rotor but this does not cause wear. The brake hold releases as soon as the throttle is applied so there is only a fraction of a second that the pads are holding then let go so there is no actual wear that would have any significance. Brake hold is not causing accelerated wear

1 - 16 of 16 Posts