Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Brake pad longevity and wear front vs rear ... 2019 EX-L

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  odysseyms 
#1 ·
I've had my 2019 EX-L for just under 4 years/51k miles. It was in for the A13 service and some recalls at my dealer and they inspected my brakes. The front were at 7mm and rear at 4mm. I was suprised because I figured the front brakes would wear faster.

For suburban/highway driving, how many miles should you expect from front/rear brakes? I'm wondering if I could hit 100k on the front.

Is it common for the rear pads to wear more quickly?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I have similar results of back wearing slightly faster. 2018 EX at just over 4 years/80k miles.
In April 2022 they were reported as 4MM front and 3 rear, which surprised me.

Could it have to do with the electronic parking brake on the rear?

#8 ·
I had the same issue with our '18 Touring and am coming up to replacing the fronts this spring. I wonder if the supplier for the Ody is the same as the Civic as my moms '19 Civic I replaced the rear pads at 30K KM. There was a TSB, but because I didn't have any vibrations or noise, and the car is very rarely driven it went past the time allotment and was not covered. They weren't expensive, but still an annoying replacement that early.

#18 ·
@neyugnt
Wrong. The front brakes do more braking than the rear. It can be 52% to 75% more. Thus front pad or shoes surface are is larger than the rear brakes. Also disc brakes was installed on the front to help a problem with cars to give better braking power and really assisted tremendously when the road was wet due to the gaps that band brakes would have allowing water to get between the shoes and drums where brake pads have minimal distance between the pads and rotors to stop quicker. Most over the road trucks still use pads on the front and shoes on the rear and think of the tonnage they are carrying.

#19 ·
The rear pads wear faster, 2:1 on my 2014 Transit Connect and 2021 Transit Connect due to RSC/hill assist.

Amazingly enough, my 2022 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS wears out rear pads faster as well, as the car utilizes the rear brakes for traction control, especially around corners/turns.

#20 ·
I believe there can be some "funny" brake proportioning on
newer ABS vehicles. Sometimes there's no proportioning
valve and soft brake apply might engage the rears first, with
rear apply pressure following pedal until ABS engages there
and then "flat-line" at the edge of rear adhesion while the fronts
"proceed at their own pace".

I think this may be more of "a thing" on vehicles that can expect
large changes in front-rear bias (like trucks and vans). My old
Ford pickup with none of all that but a basic proportioning
valve, my old Chevy van (likewise) used to be real squirrely with
nothing in the bed / back....

#22 ·
👆 sounds like they may have just rotated their tires. Most of the brake dust I get on my Hondas and Toyota truck are the front wheels.
I believe the front brakes on these vehicles today grab before the back when hitting them hard. I’ve noticed on our 19 when the brake light flashes on the dash, it seems the fronts are grabbing.

#23 ·
👆 sounds like they may have just rotated their tires. Most of the brake dust I get on my Hondas and Toyota truck are the front wheels.
I believe the front brakes on these vehicles today grab before the back when hitting them hard. I’ve noticed on our 19 when the brake light flashes on the dash, it seems the fronts are grabbing.
Fronts grabbing and rears locking up and being "managed"
due to weight transfer

Estimates of hard-braking "effort distribution" include the
weight transfer but this is negligible in non-aggressive daily
driving. A vehicle with equal brake holding torque at the
wheels (pressure and piston area) will definitely see more
front than rear traction at threshold. Old school prop valve
was meant to balance that out, ABS now has that job and
a different strategy (or strategies, by platform / purpose?).
ABS allows all pistons to get commanded (foot+boost)
pressure until slip invokes relief on the offending channel.

#24 ·
Bumping again since we recently got our multipoint inspection along with an oil change done on the Ody at the dealership.

41k miles and the dealer stated that the brake pads on all 4 sides were at 3mm. It's hard to believe since I replaced the rear pads at around the 30k mark; I won't know until I take the wheel off and check it myself, but for a van that's been doing 10-15 minute 5-mile one-way local commutes to work in NYC for the past year, 11k-12k miles on a set of rear pads is ridiculous. They weren't OEM pads so I'll have to edit this post with what we used as a buyer beware since we don't tow or constantly haul cargo/passengers; the van has just been a daily driver to work.

#25 ·
Was there a lot of brake pad dust on the metal wheels during the period since the pads were installed? If so, then organic brake pads were probably installed, resulting in a lot of pad wear. There's a huge difference between organic and ceramic pads in the amount of brake dust generated, and how long the pads last.

#27 · (Edited)
Was there a lot of brake pad dust on the metal wheels during the period since the pads were installed? If so, then organic brake pads were probably installed, resulting in a lot of pad wear.
Turns out my rear brake pad replacements were Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Part # 10519540. I have no idea how they ended up this low after 11k miles (in comparison to the OEM rear brake pads at 30k).

I don't think this is normal, but just in case it isn't, does anyone have any idea what happened to the corners of my rear brake pads? The Amazon listing picture I found from the PT# doesn't look like this and I don't recall how they looked during the previous install.
Wood Gas Hardwood Composite material Metal

Wood Bag Automotive exterior Bumper Flooring

The dealership said all 4 sides were at 3/32", but the OEM front brake pads look to have some life in them after 41k miles of mainly city driving. I swapped them out with Raybestos Element3 EHT (F/R EHT2089H, EHT1954H), so I'll have to give an update on them in the future. The Amazon kit didn't come with any grease, so I picked up AGS Sil-Glyde SG8 for the slide pins and Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant for all the other contact points.

IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR SLIDE PINS! My lower front slide pins took me 10-15 minutes of prying to take out. I'm glad I did my brakes when I did them because they would have for sure seized up.

Musical instrument Wood Hardwood Gas Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.