Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Odyssey EX-L. I bought it new, and currently have about 82000 miles on it. I have always had it dealer serviced and they have never mentioned anything about brake pads. How long to they typically last? A lot of my driving is city driving so I am suprised they have lasted this long. We are going on a long roadtrip next month and I am wondering if I need to have them changed prior to the trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the interval of brake change is hard to say. I have the same exact '05 as yours, and I decided to change ours at about 75k. At the time, there were still about 30% or so left on the pads, but I felt better in changing all 4 at the time. Also, I took the opportunity to upgrade to ceramic pads along with some slotted and dimppled rotors for the front...just for the fun of it. So far, it has abeen about a year now and all is great.

I would say if this is a van you plan on keeping for some years, it would not hurt to go ahead and get it done as it's one of those job that needs to happen sooner than later. As far as upgrading, I would recommend going with some better aftermarket pads....the rotor is probably overkill on my part as pads usually make more of a difference then rotor imh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Posi Quiet Ceramic pads from autoanything front and rear. At the time, I recall I wanted the Hawk (what I used on my toyota truck), but I don't think they make it for our van or that it was out of stock, so I went with Posi Quiet. Again, the pads have been great, and price was cheaper.

The rotor are made by Power Stop Cross Drilled and Slotted. My old rotor had a slight warp and can be felt at highway speed when you brake, so I just wanted something that's not going to have any heat problem again. Again, my cross drilled and slotted is probably overkill, but I also did it for the fun of it as I have custom wheels that have thinner spokes to show through the rotors.

The job took about 2hrs on one side, and about 20min on the other side. Reason it took so long on the first side was my own stupid fault. There is this one screw that holds the rotor in place after you remove the caliper and pads. For whatever reason, I was blind and didn't see it until 2hrs later after using a hammer and everything else in basically destroying the old rotor (good thing I had brand new ones already).

Again, the job is not hard at all. If it's your first brake job, just remove your wheels and take a good look at how it works. You may also want to check out some of the videos on youtube. It does not have to be Odyssey (maybe other Honda or imports) as most disc brakes are fairly standard for most vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got an 08 EX-L last night. I did noticed that the brakes are a little soft. I want to upgrade the brakes but not the rotors. How much of a difference do the Posi Quiet Ceramic pads make?

I remember having my RSX type S changed to Axxis ceramic brakes and wow they were a huge difference with just changing the pads no rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts