Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time I have noticed while I am stopped at a red light and have brake pedal pressed that it seems to get soft and go farther down even though I have been at a complete stop for say 30 seconds.

Any reason for that? Is it normal or just my ODY?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
747 Posts
Generally if a brake pedal sinks while you are holding your foot on it that would indicate that the master cylinder is bad. When the seals in the cylinder leak it causes this sinking.

There are a number of tests that can be done involving with the car off pumping the pedal and holding it to see if there is movement. I don't know the full procedure exactly, but I am sure it is in the Helms manual if someone has one handy.

I would be suprised if the master cylinder were going bad in a new car (unless it was a manufacturing anomoly) - they usually wear out. My'94 Integra went bad at about 80K and our '94 accord went bad at 90K. On both it started as an intermittent problem.

If you aren't sure about it, I would have it check out (aren't you still in warranty?) for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
One thing that comes to mind is to ask if your climate control system was on when this happened? I wonder if when the pedal softened the A/C compressor may have been engaging or disengaging?

I feel this effect in my cars and it seems to correspond with the climate control. If you have an automatic climate control system the A/C seems to kick in and out as needed to maintain the interior temperature and humidity.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine does it too. I think it's just a quirk of the car. Seems it only moves 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Per previous discussions, all recent Honda's do this because, at idle, there is reduced vacuum to the brake booster, and you can depress the pedal almost to the floor if you try. There is a previous thread on this -- do a search for more info.

The only time you will be able to get a "hard pedal" is when you are bleeding the brakes, with engine off.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR.
Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts