Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Two weeks ago I had routine replacement of brake pads on all four wheels, and they also flushed the brake lines. The Odyssey has about 75K miles, and this was either the first or second time it has been done in its lifetime.

However, today the brakes started behaving poorly. More specifically, the brake pedal now goes nearly all the way to the floor in order to stop the van. Again, this deterioration took place rather suddenly over the course of today.

So, this afternoon, I returned the van to the service center that replaced the pads 2 weeks ago. They are saying that the brake lines leak at one of the front wheels. They are saying I need to replace both brakes lines and the two front calipers (even though the leak is at one brake, they are sayng you would always replace both sides at the same time). They are going to charge me about $850.

Does this seem correct? I was expecting the problem to be related to the (perhaps faulty) pad replacement/line flush of two weeks ago. I was not expecting an $850 replacement of brake system infrastructure. I would be grateful for any advice/insight with this. I am terribly suspicious that I am being taken advantage of but have no experience in brake repair to know whether I am or not.

Thanks for any response!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Which brake line is leaking; is it one of the flexible lines? If so, they should cost no more than $30 each. I would not take my car there anymore.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
You mentioned that the service center told you it would cost $850 to fix the leak.
Don't you get a written estimate from the service center that listed the parts involved ?
If not, then you need to get an estimate from another shop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow... avoid that dealer~ If your pedal is hitting the floor... sounds like there's still air in the system... not bled well.
Also keep an eye on your brake fluid level... it should never go down in a few weeks time. If you have a leak anywhere.. you'll be leaking so keep a detective eye open and look for clues. You can see the front brake lines without taking the wheels off, and also feel the back of the calipers for any dampness. Brake fluid doesnt evaporate like water, so it should be damp for a while. To make it easier to trace... get can of brake cleaner spray, and spray clean all the brake lines' connections. If you're leaking, you'll definitely find where it is.

Lastly, if you hate your brakes... UPGRADE THEM! '10 Pilot calipers, pads, and rotors. If shopped well can be found around $600 or less, and the stopping power IS THERE.
You'll go from scary brakes to VERY CONFIDENT ones.

Don't keep throwing $$ into the crappy stock brakes~

There is a catch though... you need 17" wheels are larger to clear the Pilot brakes...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all the input. I got a second opinion from a second repair shop. They told me that Merchant's Tire (the original shop) had not reattached the bolts on one caliper properly, and that resulted in a leak in the corresponding hose, which then allowed air to enter the system and caused the brakes to fail. They re-bled the brakes and charged me just for the labor and for two compression washers. Total was $175.

I informed Merchant's Tire of the experience at the second shop, and though not exactly agreeing or taking blame, they agreed to refund the total cost of the original brake job (around $600). So, in the end, I am disappointed that my distrust of auto repair places continues, but at least there was a sort of happy ending.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. $175 seems high for the service you described, but what's important is your brakes are working again. It's a challenge finding good honest shops now-a-days, that's why I try to do as much of the maintenance I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts