Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I posted here - probably a good thing since it means the Odysseus has been running well.

Took it in for B2 service today as well as a recall for the rear door struts. Dealership called to tell me I need new front brake pads (~$200 installed) and new rear pads and rotors (~$800 installed) or ~$1k!!!

After picking myself up off the floor I told them to hold off for now and called a couple local shops including a Firestone which has always provided solid service. Same service there is ~$575 or >40% less.

They would use Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads and house-brand rotors (mfr?) all "better-than-OEM" quality per Firestone.

Hard to ignore the price difference but am I setting myself up for heartburn by going off the OEM teet?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
mpls, mn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
511 Posts
For reference: I recently purchased Akebono Pro-Acts brake pads for the fronts for $60 and had my mechanic install them for under $50. So yes, $200 is way too high if all they are doing is just replacing the front pads.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Soupboy said:
Yep, I searched and read your threads. Good stuff but I simply don't have the time right now to mess with this project.
Then go to the Firestone shop and go with the Wagner pads. I have not used them myself, but many here at work have and no one is bitching!

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
OEM works for me. Aftermarket pads sometimes have noise problems. Ask Firestone if they will do the work using parts you supply. If not, hunt around for a reputable shop. A good brake job is not hard to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I still need to call a few more shops.

FWIW - Firestone will only install parts from their warehouse - i.e. you can't bring your own for them to install.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I believe 200 dollars includes resurfacing the rotors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
richysh said:
I believe 200 dollars includes resurfacing the rotors.
Yes. As does the $159 quote from Firestone for the same service.

The rear rotors were so badly rusted (pitted on surface) that they couldn't turn them and recommended the replacement.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car?

Depending on the mileage, if your brakes were not making any noise and was working fine. I would buy Centric rotors and OEM pads. Bring the parts to local independent shop and have them install.

For front and rear, new pads and rotors plus labor, it should be about a $500 job max. Labor is about $200.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
83,xxx miles. No noise or other issues noticeable while driving.

En3D said:
How many miles do you have on your car?

Depending on the mileage, if your brakes were not making any noise and was working fine. I would buy Centric rotors and OEM pads. Bring the parts to local independent shop and have them install.

For front and rear, new pads and rotors plus labor, it should be about a $500 job max. Labor is about $200.

·
Registered
309 Posts
wagner thermoquiet pads are very good pads, you will be happy with them, no worries on noise if they are installed correctly.

I would more worry about what brand rotor they are going to install. The cheap rotors can cause vibration when braking not long after installation.

I am trying to think what I paid for parts, just did all 4 sets of pads and all 4 rotors on mine recently.

The pads were like $35/pair (Monroe) needed 2 pair to cover front and rear

The rear rotors were centric premium $40 each

The front Rotors were Raybestos Advanced Tech and they were about $75 each

I could have put Centric up front for $50 each, but I wanted the better quality rotor on the front.

I am NOT a professional mechanic (this means I have no air tools and I work in a parking lot) and it takes me about 30 minutes per wheel, so 2 hours total.

My parts total was $300 and it took me 2 hours labor to replace all 4 rotors and all pads.

Even if you figure $100/hour, I replaced everything for $500.

I would say bargain with your Firestone guy or find another shop. Firestone is notorious for being dishonest in my area YMMV.

Brakes do not take that long to do and turning rotors is a waste of time and effort when new ones are so cheap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If OP does not have time for DIY, then try to find a mechanic/shop that will install the parts OP can buy online. I think that would be the next cheapest way. FWIW, I did my own front brakes recently and only paid $110 including shipping from amazon.com. And that's for Akebono ceramic pads and Centric rotors. The pads were $50 and the rotor was $30 each. I imagine the rear would cost about the same.

As far as cheap rotors go, my original Honda ones were warped at 16k miles and I have installed plenty of these cheapie Made in China rotors in the past, never had problems with them. So as far as I am concern, I rather buy these cheapies than turning the old ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone for the direction and ideas.

I've a couple friends from the local Subaru club that are going to help me out - have proper tools and lift.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Yeah,

This is the way to go.

If you don't have:
- money to go to dealer
- time/skills to do it

Then a buddy with skills/experience/tools/time/6-pack beer is the way to go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts