Honda Odyssey Forum banner

201 - 220 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello, hvacdude
. Can you share your experience after 3 months of using non-OEM parts on your Pilot brake upgrade? If you've been happy with it, can you also share the places you made your purchases from (i.e. reman calipers = company name or website, which company you order all your new parts from, ...). If the have the part numbers that would be helpful as I'm curious
if you order ceramic or semi-metallic pads, regular rotors or something specially vented or treated. Thanks
! I took the family up to the mountains for the weekend and the brakes were far weaker than the 1993 & 1994 Chrysler minivans and the 2001 Odyssey we drive. Power and mpg were great! Braking
Sorry for the late reply as I've been traveling for work, see post #192 for brake rotors/pad/lines.

I got all the reman calipers from advanceauto parts nothing but great result, I've put 1,000 miles on this brake upgrade, there has been two accident that I've avoided with hard braking, and thumb up on the stoping power.

Just so you know that not just that I've used the front 2010 pilot brake rotors/pads/calipers I also upgrade brake lines to SST and bleeded with new fluid, to have this such a great braking result.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello all, i just posted these identical parts required, for sale in the classified forums

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/23-buy-sell-trade/330113-fs-bnib-2010-pilot-caliper-rotors-pads-honda.html#post2116177

ALL NEW / BNIB Honda Pilot 2010 parts

45018-SZA-A01 caliper R ('10 Honda Pilot caliper assembly with carrier)
45019-SZA-A00 caliper L
45022-SZA-A00 pads
46472-568-000 x4 (crush washers for banjo bolts)
43022-SOX-A01 rear pads 99-04 odyssey

$600 obo

76zero 97five 76nine3

buyer pays for shipping, located in san diego, 92121

i bought these a while ago & never installed, as we got rid of the van.

lmk if interested via pm or text

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am about to do this upgrade as well. i went with OEM pilot calipers and pads but wanted to let others know that there is a lower cost alternative. when i was looking at the local auto parts stores none of them sell NEW calipers they are all Remans and that is fine but you need a core and when you buy the pilot caliper and bring back a odyssey caliper they wont take it in return as it is not the same item. i was doing some research on what rotors to buy and came across a company called R1 concepts and to my surprise they sell BRAND NEW calipers for many models including the pilot and odyssey for about half of OEM and no core required. I have never used any of there products so i cannot comment on the quality but i have had mixed results with Reman products in the past.
My next dilemma was needing bigger wheels so i have been searching for a while now and today found brand new in the box 2012 honda pilot wheels 18x7 at a local tire shop so i looked up the specs and they were a little different offset 45 vs 50 and i was unsure if they would work with the bigger calipers so we mounted the pilot caliper and just set the stock caliper behind the strut and mounted the pilot wheel and everything looks good no clearance problems so we can add 18x7 pilot wheels to the list of wheels that will work with this upgrade. Now just need to buy some better than stock oem pilot rotors and 18 inch tires and braded lines and ill be feeling much better about the safety of my wife and family when it comes to stopping our ody.

·
Registered
272 Posts
R1 concepts looks good wish i known about them earlier.
But Advanced auto did accept Ody calipers as core. Ordered them online with 20% discount code. Returned the Ody core to the local store no problem, i even told them they were off my Odyssey not a Pilot and told them about the upgrade i did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, picked up a 2007 Ody and can't believe there is such a nice affordable upgrade to the front brakes. I've read through this entire thread 2 times already and have already ordered the rotors (Centric premium) and OEM honda pads. I saw in an old post, calipers can be purchased from R1concepts. The old post mentioned that they rebuild OEM honda calipers. Their website now states that all of their calipers are brand new (assuming in-house) calipers. I emailed them about the 2010 Pilot calipers and they said their calipers do NOT include the bracket.

Are you guys using the brackets from the odyssey calipers?

Also, Technafit SS brake hoses were mentioned. I was wondering how the fit of them are for this upgrade. A quick search showed that their lines for the WRX don't line up very well. If they have fitment problems, I would much rather go with OEM rubber hoses.

Thank you very much, can't wait to purchase the remaining items and complete this upgrade!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello all, picked up a 2007 Ody and can't believe there is such a nice affordable upgrade to the front brakes. I've read through this entire thread 2 times already and have already ordered the rotors (Centric premium) and OEM honda pads. I saw in an old post, calipers can be purchased from R1concepts. The old post mentioned that they rebuild OEM honda calipers. Their website now states that all of their calipers are brand new (assuming in-house) calipers. I emailed them about the 2010 Pilot calipers and they said their calipers do NOT include the bracket.

Are you guys using the brackets from the odyssey calipers?

Also, Technafit SS brake hoses were mentioned. I was wondering how the fit of them are for this upgrade. A quick search showed that their lines for the WRX don't line up very well. If they have fitment problems, I would much rather go with OEM rubber hoses.

Thank you very much, can't wait to purchase the remaining items and complete this upgrade!
You need Pilot brackets also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yourfishman - thank you for the quick response! Ahh, I guess the R1 calipers aren't so cheap after having to source some brackets then. Where did everyone else get their brackets from? i didn't see that mentioned throughout this thread. Maybe most people got calipers with brackets attached? :(

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
So. I am torn. I am getting ready to now do the upgrade. I am at 95K on the original brakes/rotors. No pulsating or vibrations. Just a squeal when backing up which I am sure I can fix by re-greasing the pad/piston. Planning to get the timing belt work done at John Clark's place in the upcoming weeks. The wheels/tires combo is next and the brakes there after.

I see someone did MDX front and back. I am not sure if I missed it but if I do the same, does the dust shield in the back also need to be bent?

What if I get the Pilot rear calipers?

Anyone done any homework on this so that I can save research time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
11 month update. The best modification to my ody was the large brake calipers and rotors. for those that want to do this mod without spending big bucks on oem parts the 2009-2015 pilot caliper brackets can be purchased at just about any wrecking yard or a online used auto parts vendor then you can get the calipers new from R1 concepts or just buy some 2009-2015 honda pilot calipers at your local auto parts and then return the cores with the stock ody units some shops are cool and some are picky. I used rotors from Brakemotive on ebay as the factory oem rotors are garbage. if there is any pedal travel difference i sure didn't notice much if any. on the rear i used the brakemotive rotors and pads that came with the rotors' there is no need to upgrade the rear calipers. I have 10'000 hard miles on my rotors and pads and there is zero pulsing in the brakes and no shimmy in the wheel at all. i also am using smart vcm and have never had the eco or check engine light come on and i am hard on my van.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
dvpatel, if you brakes are fine, why would you buy trouble by upgrading?
I do need a brake job. 97K and no changes to even the pads. Need new pads as the pads are finally a bit low for my liking
Still have the fear that it won't stop so we are paranoid and keep large distance between us and the front car
Need new tires soon as well
Had to get the last set of tires in an emergency or else would have done the project 4 or so years ago.

Was waiting on the stars to align to minimize wastage.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
DV, the weakest link in stopping is normally tire grip.
Agreed. But the Ody has weak brakes since the beginning. First few years we wrote it off as its a big vehicle. Then people started posting here and we realized that there is a problem of weak brakes on it. While I am happy with the brakes and the rotors not warping and stock brakes lasting almost 97K, in cases of an emergency stop, it scares the crap out of wife and myself. It has always stopped but a couple of times, very very close and once, I overshot the stop line at a light and ended up in the middle of the intersection.

So, I think its time for the upgrade. I am sure new pads will help. I am sure new tires will help too but the poor performance was there when this set was new.

** Edit **
Also the tire grip will trigger ABS or lockups and slide. That has never happened to us. The current issue is if used to hard, there is definite brake fade. I know that can be cured by new pads and perhaps rotors.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Agreed. But the Ody has weak brakes since the beginning. First few years we wrote it off as its a big vehicle. Then people started posting here and we realized that there is a problem of weak brakes on it. While I am happy with the brakes and the rotors not warping and stock brakes lasting almost 97K, in cases of an emergency stop, it scares the crap out of wife and myself. It has always stopped but a couple of times, very very close and once, I overshot the stop line at a light and ended up in the middle of the intersection.

So, I think its time for the upgrade. I am sure new pads will help. I am sure new tires will help too but the poor performance was there when this set was new.

** Edit **
Also the tire grip will trigger ABS or lockups and slide. That has never happened to us. The current issue is if used to hard, there is definite brake fade. I know that can be cured by new pads and perhaps rotors.
Have you had tour brakes re bled to make sure there is no air in the lines. This sounds suspiciously like a case of air in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I agree with Pjones, as when you slid thru the intersection you should have locked you wheels and activated the ABS system. You have another problem other than OE Honda pads and rotors. If you don't find your problem and put on the Pilot hardware, and you'll wind up with the same problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
dvpatel - +1 on the advice to fully flush the fluid in your system with new brake fluid, it sounds possible that you have air in the lines, or degraded brake fluid. Either way, I'd try to rule that out before you introduce more changes into the system. A faulty master cylinder is another possibility.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Okay. We have dozens of people on here claiming weak brakes. Mine have been weak since day 1. Did the brake recall done. No change. I am not sure what is up with the alternate advise. Am I missing something? While I am sure flushing the brake fluid will help, I am positive there is no air in the system and no the master cylinder is not acting up either. Every one on this thread has noticed a marked improvement with the bigger rotors/pads and calipers.

Like I said, I do not have a stopping issue but again, my brakes have never locked up. That has been since the day the ody was brand new and I am the first and the only owner of this van.

My friend has a 2007 Touring and reports the exact same issue citing he is not sure if it will stop on short notice so he always keeps a larger than normal distance.

I am not trying to put the advise being given down but its just that the 3rd gen ody does indeed benefit from the Pilot brake upgrade so why not?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Okay. We have dozens of people on here claiming weak brakes. Mine have been weak since day 1. Did the brake recall done. No change. I am not sure what is up with the alternate advise. Am I missing something? While I am sure flushing the brake fluid will help, I am positive there is no air in the system and no the master cylinder is not acting up either. Every one on this thread has noticed a marked improvement with the bigger rotors/pads and calipers.

Like I said, I do not have a stopping issue but again, my brakes have never locked up. That has been since the day the ody was brand new and I am the first and the only owner of this van.

My friend has a 2007 Touring and reports the exact same issue citing he is not sure if it will stop on short notice so he always keeps a larger than normal distance.

I am not trying to put the advise being given down but its just that the 3rd gen ody does indeed benefit from the Pilot brake upgrade so why not?
Were not trying to run ya through the gears were just making sure you’ve done the necessary troubleshooting to make sure you actually have an issue with the brakes being undersized rather than possibly a simpler solution or an issue with a different component entirely. Nobody wants to see a fellow ody owner replace a part and still have the same issue once the repair is done because the wrong part was changed.

I don’t own a gen 3 but I have driven a vehicle with air in the brake lines and it sounded eerily similar to my experience, and knowing that there have been recalls on other gens for air in the lines, I wanted to put it out there as a possibility.

A vehicles brakes need to be able to over power the engine in an emergency and it sounds like yourself may not be able to do that if it can’t even lock up the wheels, it surprises me that this wouldn’t have been a safety recall that would have been required due to safety reasons. I’m sure that has been discussed before though, sorry, I’m late to the game on this issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
A vehicles brakes need to be able to over power the engine in an emergency and it sounds like yourself may not be able to do that if it can’t even lock up the wheels, it surprises me that this wouldn’t have been a safety recall that would have been required due to safety reasons. I’m sure that has been discussed before though, sorry, I’m late to the game on this issue.

There was a brake recall and it was performed on the vehicle. I have zero experience with air in the system. Will definitely check it out.

201 - 220 of 255 Posts