Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replaced my front Brake Rotors last July, and yesterday(nearly 15K kms after) went for another service at the dealer and to get a rattling exhaust shield fixed they told me that i need brake pads and my rotors will need to be machined...
is it normal for this to happen so sudden on the brakes? i know i slightly abuse the brakes, but this early?
the pads i understand they are 32K kms old...

other thing:

with a quick look, will it hurt my wallet alot?

·
Registered
318 Posts
What's the reason the dealer told you that you need new pads and turn rotors?Are they at the min. level? Seems odd they'd say that. Did you tell them it has 32k Kms in it?
Also, I'm not familiar with Canada's rotor replacement practice. Been away too long from the Great White North homeland. The brake rotors and pads are easy DIY. Just search for CNN's DIY thread and follow it. Perhaps it should take 3-4 hrs altogether to do that with a couple of mikeys.
It won't be long before one of the "super moderators" will post in your thread to tell you to go use the "search" function because he doesn't like double posting (maybe he thinks it takes up so much disk space as if he owns the disk drive themselves). :)

Re: the pic, can't really judge the extent of the damage but the scratches are quite obvious. Shouldn't be that expensive if it's just refinishing (and feather in to blend)

i replaced my front Brake Rotors last July, and yesterday(nearly 15K kms after) went for another service at the dealer and to get a rattling exhaust shield fixed they told me that i need brake pads and my rotors will need to be machined...
is it normal for this to happen so sudden on the brakes? i know i slightly abuse the brakes, but this early?
the pads i understand they are 32K kms old...

other thing:

with a quick look, will it hurt my wallet alot?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pads are at 1mm

honda already wanted me to machine the rotors last july and for the price i installed new ones instead, but needing them machined again? they dont vibrate or anything....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Then it's time to replace pads and rotors.
You can do this if you're handy with tools. Remember, safety first before anything else.

hmm, 32k Kms on brake pads, seems like it should be more than that.

pads are at 1mm

honda already wanted me to machine the rotors last july and for the price i installed new ones instead, but needing them machined again? they dont vibrate or anything....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If you aren't getting any pedal vibration, and the rotors aren't badly scored or anything like that, just replace the pads and you'll be fine.

32k kms (~20k mi) isn't unheard of for front pads, but it's definitely on the low side (we've been going 32-40k miles (so 52-64k kms) for the past three sets - rotors have continued to be round and well above the min thickness, so I have been just replacing the pads)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I always thought you were supposed to turn rotor's when changing pads...
Technically, yes that is the answer, but me as a shade tree and having changed tons of brakes on various cars, unless they are worn pretty deep I just put on new pads, or if worn enough I'll replace the rotor as getting them turned is a hassle and you have less metal mass on them afterwards so they could heat up easier....and price difference between turning and getting new ones is not that huge typically. If turning was cheaper I'd do it more.

I was burned by this recently when I thought that my rotors were fine on my Intrigue and reinstalled after doing a hub replacement, but around corners it would scrape a lot, but what the problem was the edge of the pad was wearing on the top of the groove as the pads were slightly different design. I should have replaced rotors or had turned, but after a 1000 mile or so its worn enough to be quiet, and I now have new rotors I found on sale when I get the time.:DD

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I always resurface my rotors when changing brake pad.

Once a brake pads wear down, usually after 40-60K miles, over the years, the pad material cuts into the rotors, creating grooves on the rotors, very much like the old LP vinyl records disc (for those of you who listened to it in the 1960's and 1980's).
Look closely at the old rotors and you will see grooves. Not a problem if you use the old pads because they (the pad + rotor) are similar to "lock and key", i.e., the pads now have wear pattern that fits the rotors, therefore smooth braking.

Now if you use new pad but the old rotors, it may:
- be fine, no issues if the rotor is smooth....or
- cause grabbing because the brand-new pads now grind against a groovy rotor!

Best is to either:
- resurface rotors (I got them done for free at OReilly autoparts because I am their frequent customer.
- buy new rotors.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shops usually machine because it's an easy service to charge for, something you need them for (throwing on a new rotor you can do in the driveway) and it reduces returns for noise and initial brake roughness. Returns are worse than a non-paying customer because they aren't even happy to see you.

It is usually not needed. So long as the disc surface is smooth and clean then the new pads will do fine on the old rotors. Make sure to thoroughly "bed" them in if you are changing pad material.

Resurfacing is a bargain if you are talking about premium discs, (OEM or others) but may not be worth it on cheaper discs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always replace or machine rotors as the case may be. Honda specifies on-car lathes for their models I'm familiar with, so, I usually buy new instead.

I also wouldn't consider changing an MT clutch without machining or replacing a flywheel, but I've met plenty of guy who don't.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just went ahead and bought Wagner ceramic pads for the ody, now gotta take her to the mechanic since i still have warranty for the rotors, and the left one is in a worst shape than the right one...(checked this morning)
he could of told me last july that i should have had the pads replaced as well....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts