Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on DIY-ing the front brakes this weekend and just wanted to get a few things straight..

I did read the DIY but stil have a few questions.

The parts I will be using are:
-Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads
-Centric rotors 120.40064

1. The pads came with some grease.. Should I use this or get some EBC brake quiet?

2. Are the rotor retaining screws necessary? Should I put them back or is it ok if I don't use them when I put my new rotors on?

3. I plan on picking up some brake cleaner to clean the rotors before placing them on the car and some anti-seize to put around the hub.. is it safe to use the anti-seize on the sliding pins on the caliper or should i get some silcone grease?

anything else I should be aware of before i tackle this job??

·
Registered
127 Posts
1. You can or you can use anti-seize too.

2. It doesn't seem like it but if you are able to take them off without damaging them, why not put them back in. If not, oh well.

3. Yes, you can use anti-seize on the pins. Anti-seize is grease too.

Just be patient with those damn screws:D and easy on the brakes for the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My brake upgrade

Today I finally installed my new cross-drilled front rotors, pads and stainless steel braided lines from GForce in Canada (on Ebay). See Gforce ebay link

Here are cross-drilled rotors, anti-rust plating
LINK Note: I was not supposed to order these as they were Canada only, but the guys sent to me for a bit more postage.

The stainless lines were a little bit of a pain to install, just because of the *#*$% little clips did not want to fit into the grooves of the line fitting, they had to be flat to fit and would like to spread out instead of flatten. I had to use a vice grip to flatten them and then they would usually go into the groove. But on the rear the trailing arm mount on the inside was a pain as the plyers and vice grips were hard to use in small space. But I got it done and you could too.

The lines are major cool looking and well made, with heat shrink stuff on ends, everything is very well constructed - I'm a skeptic and I was impressed.

The rotors fit perfect as you would expect and the machining is pretty rough so it will take them a while to smooth out, but they and the brake lines, new ceramic pads (comes with rotors) make my brakes HARD as a rock and very big improvement. I have yet to really bed the new pads in yet, but the feel so far with 5 miles on them is great.

My old fluid was dark and nasty looking after only 4-5 years. Used some Prestone synthetic dot 3 fluid. Note filling the brake reseviour takes a different technique than normal cars as this has to go through a screen and it takes a while to flow down through it.

Only other thing after doing this was I had a BRAKE light and a stability control light come on, but turning van on and off two times reset the lights.

Here are some pictures :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dirkdaddy

Nice DIY, let me ask you a few questions about the SS brake lines from GForce. What warranty to they come with, are they for the US spec Odyssey (needed to ask), hows the brake feel after you installed the SS brake lines?

SS Brake lines has been my first upgrade in all of my cars, along with performance brake pads. I've looked around to the normal manufactures (goodridge) and no one had SS brake lines for the 05+ Odyssey. What ever feedback you can give on their product would be great, I'm just worried about a SS Brake Line company out side of a major manufacture.

Also how are the Akebono ProACT, I'm looking into the new EBC Green Stuff.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I have only driven about 5 miles with them so far, just installed yesterday, but the pedal was WAY firm (may have had a small bubble in system before, hard to tell). The brakes made the heavy van seem "sporty" as you can haul down speed with little effort for now. The ceramic pads that came with the rotors looked good, seem to be quiet, but I have not driven long enough to really rate.

The lines are very well made and they were spec'd for the year/model from what they listed them. Had no issues with fitting just had to fiddle with the front guide a little as it is not affixed like the OEM lines.

two year warranty.

Magnum brake link

I did have to tighten the bejesus out of one fitting to keep it from leaking, I think the steel line flare was damaged by factory over-tightening. I smoothed out a rough spot with 600 grit and reassembled, layed some muscle to it and made note that if I mess with it again I'l need that new line that attaches to the trailing arm.

They don't come with crush washers, which was surprising as I had to scramble to find enough to do the whole car at two parts stores.:cool:

Oh, and I think part of my problem on the OEM rotors was that they were brutally over-torqued, I could not get off with my new IR 1/2" impact gun (rated at 500+ft lbs, but I had pressure set to 90), had to get a breaker bar and use almost all my strength. Book says just under 100ft lbs, they must have been up in 600 ftlb range! The tire started to spin as I didn't have enough weight on it. And people wonder why I do my own work. What if I had gotten a flat on the road, there was no way those were coming off with OEM lug wrench!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've used the akebono ceramic pads and I'm not impressed. They lasted around 120,000 miles and I didn't think they improved my braking from the original pads. I'm trying out the wagner ceramic pads and they are comparable to the akebono at least for the first 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The rotors came with a ceramic pad from Gforce, and they are nothing fancy but are decent performers. Right now I'm trying to bed in the pad and rotor, only drove about 15 miles today. :eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm going with EBC Green Stuff 7000 series pads. I've used EBC the past and they have been very good on the street. I spoke to EBC USA and have been advised that they now have a different compound that have very little dust, unlink there previous GREEN Stuff compound.

I regards to SS lines I'm going to use Techna-Fit lines, they have a lifetime warranty on materials and are ready to install, plus you can have you lines done in different colors if you like.

·
Registered
513 Posts
3puttjay said:
I've used the akebono ceramic pads and I'm not impressed. They lasted around 120,000 miles and I didn't think they improved my braking from the original pads.
120,000 miles? That sounds very good as far as life is concerned.

Nicoals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts