Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2018 Odyssey. At about 17k miles the front brakes started vibrating very severely. That was about 4 months ago. Dealer wanted to charge for new rotors and brakes so I did it myself. I went with centric premium rotors and wearever platinum pads (only pads I could find at the time).
So now here we are a few months later and the vibration is back.
WTF! I don't want to buy new rotors and it seems like no one around here resurfarces them. I've heard of people installing semi metallic pads might address the issue. Anyone heard of that? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
820 Posts
That’s not good, I was going to go with after market rotors and pads not need to know what works before trying....thanks for sharing

By the way, they are not warped, just the uneven brake material transferred onto the rotors is what’s causing the vibration especially once the rotors are warmed up.

I suspect it’s the pads that’s the issue, we need to find better pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I know they're not warped. That's why I put it in quotes. Heard good things about the centric premium rotors on the forum. I've always had good luck with akebono pads but they weren't available at the time so I went with wearever platinum pads..which apparently suck

·
Registered
714 Posts
Need to check your wheel balance, tie rods and ball joints. There is no reason brakes should go back that quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it's the wheel balance, tie rods or ball joints. Only happens when the press the brakes. Pretty confident it's shitty pads. Been reading more about people swapping the ceramic pads out for semi metallic so I'm going to give it a shot.
Is it just me or does it seem like Honda just makes shitty brakes. Been driving Honda's for 20+ years and brakes always seem to be shit

·
Registered
464 Posts
Honda doesn’t make their discs or pads.

And no way would I ever put on semi-metallics, enjoy the noise.

I’ve installed Centric rotors on pads on 3 vehicles in the past 4 years, never have the issues you speak of. Put them on a Ford, Lexus, and Honda.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard only good things about the centric rotors...so I'm thinking it's the wearever platinum pads that are the issue. I'll take a little noise over the violent vibration I'm getting under high speed braking. Gonna try swapping out for metallic pads and see how it goes. Ill post an update to let you know whether or not it works.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you using a torque limiting extension when you tighten? I kept hearing about my rotors being "warped" until I started using the torque limiting set and made sure every service center uses one too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you bleed the brake lines? Lubricate the slide pins and other hardware? My Odyssey had wobbly brakes before the service indicator "7" came on for a brake service, they replace the brake fluid for a "7" service. After the service they were back to normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did lubricate the brake pins and did a proper install IMO. Definitely not my first brake job. The car was braking perfectly fine for several months after changing the brakes.
Funny that you mention bleeding the brakes. We just got the B17 service light so I took the car to a local shop to perform the service. They charged us for flushing the brakes but never actually did it so I went over there this weekend to bitch them out and get a refund. Looks like I'll be bleeding the brakes myself.
So are you saying your brakes were vibrating before the fluid flush and afterwards they were fine?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did lubricate the brake pins and did a proper install IMO. Definitely not my first brake job. The car was braking perfectly fine for several months after changing the brakes.
Funny that you mention bleeding the brakes. We just got the B17 service light so I took the car to a local shop to perform the service. They charged us for flushing the brakes but never actually did it so I went over there this weekend to bitch them out and get a refund. Looks like I'll be bleeding the brakes myself.
So are you saying your brakes were vibrating before the fluid flush and afterwards they were fine?
Yes, there was a noticeable difference between before the service and after. My van had about 25,000 miles on it before the service was done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After doing some additional research it looks like hitting the rotors with some 120 grit garnet paper might address the problem. I'm going to give it a shot during the break and report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2018 Odyssey. At about 17k miles the front brakes started vibrating very severely. That was about 4 months ago. Dealer wanted to charge for new rotors and brakes so I did it myself. I went with centric premium rotors and wearever platinum pads (only pads I could find at the time).
So now here we are a few months later and the vibration is back.
WTF! I don't want to buy new rotors and it seems like no one around here resurfarces them. I've heard of people installing semi metallic pads might address the issue. Anyone heard of that? Any other ideas?
caution :
All vibrations and shaking are from faulty/ bad transmission
Honda will tell you all kind of excuses or BS like
Bad Tires rotors discs alignment etc
Nothing is true
There are 2 or 3 class actions against Honda
and faulty Transmissions
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you do anything to bed the brake pads to the rotors after installing the new rotors and pads? I've got the brakes on my to-do list for our 2012 Ody. I did the pads only on my truck last year and bedded the brakes by going up to 55 mph and then hard brake (without engaging the ABS) down to 5/10 mph. I read to do it about 10 times, but ended up doing it about 12 for good measure. I haven't had any issues with my truck brakes. I plan on doing the same thing when I put new rotors and pads on the Ody.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
caution :
All vibrations and shaking are from faulty/ bad transmission
Honda will tell you all kind of excuses or BS like
Bad Tires rotors discs alignment etc
Nothing is true
There are 2 or 3 class actions against Honda
and faulty Transmissions
Good luck
Definitely not the transmission in this case. Transmission shifts and drives smoothly. Its certainly the brakes
Out of curiosity, did you do anything to bed the brake pads to the rotors after installing the new rotors and pads? I've got the brakes on my to-do list for our 2012 Ody. I did the pads only on my truck last year and bedded the brakes by going up to 55 mph and then hard brake (without engaging the ABS) down to 5/10 mph. I read to do it about 10 times, but ended up doing it about 12 for good measure. I haven't had any issues with my truck brakes. I plan on doing the same thing when I put new rotors and pads on the Ody.
Yes, I did bed in the pads while doing multiple hard decelerations without coming to a complete stop. Then let the brakes cool. The brakes had been working great for several months... Until the vibrations started again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is it the brake rotors or something else?

If it is your brake rotors being warped again, I have a solution that'll help extend the life of your rotors but you still have to fix the warped rotors 1st. I think you really only have two options, resurfacing the warped rotors or getting new ones. Whichever option you choose and how you get it done, I'll leave it up to you but once you get the rotors fixed one way or the other, try the following.

Most people who drive a lot of course knows as you use the brakes, the rotors gets hot. If you're coming down a long hill and for whatever reason, you have to use the brakes a lot, the rotors can get really hot, even red hot. Everyone knows that. When the rotors gets hot, the metal of those rotors expands. Most people knows that too.

The trick in extending the life of your rotors is getting a feel of knowing when your rotors are getting hot and letting it cool down evenly. The 1st part is easy. If you used the brakes and you think the rotors are getting hot, it's hot. As long as your moving just drive like you always do. BUT! if you have to come to a complete stop after you used the brakes a lot and you know the rotors are really hot, after you come to a complete stop engage the emergency brakes and let go your brakes.

The reason most rotors gets warped is (more than likely) because of uneven cooling after it gets really hot. Imagine the rotor getting really hot, your stopped at a red light but the car is at an incline and you have hold the brakes down for an extended time. The rotors is red hot, but so is the brake pads, and the brake calipers. The moment you come to a complete stop, if you have your foot on the brakes the surface area of all the hot parts starts to cool down EXCEPT FOR THE AREA OF THE ROTORS BEING SQUEEZED BY THE BRAKE PADS! The longer you have your foot on the brakes, that one area will not cool at the same rate as the rest of the rotors causing warpage.

So if you have to come to a compete stop and you think the rotors are likely hot, engage the emergency brakes and release your foot off the brakes. Make this a part of your everyday driving habit and your rotors will last a long time.

I drive a taxi cab and at the beginning I'd have to fix my warped rotors every 20k~30k miles. I drive a 2010 Odyssey now that I bought used from Honda at 89k miles. Since I bought it used from the Honda dealership, I think they gave me new tires, new brake pads, brake rotors and whatever else they included to make the van look good. My '10 Odyssey is now 339k and I haven't had to fix my rotors yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was the original owner of a 2002 Odyssey with this problem. The dealer attributed it to our driving habits. Curious this did not happen to any of our other cars. The Honda was the only one with continual rotor issues. After several repairs by the dealer I corrected it myself with vented aftermarket rotors. I never had another issue with this van's rotors or shaking.

A decade later I replaced the 2002 van with a brand new 2013 Odyssey and once again had recurring rotor problems. After five years of dealers telling us it was our fault I read an article in this forum explaining that this was a known Honda issue caused by poorly designed rotors. Honda had issued a corrected rotor the following year.
See the conversation here.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-2017-odyssey/236801-new-redesigned-odyssey-brake-rotors-2014-a.html

My dealer denied any knowledge of this so I purchased and installed the upgraded rotors myself (part no. 45251-TK8-A02) and have not had a problem since. The new rotor is vented and can be found on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLWG7UG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is a Honda OEM part.

I don't know if this helps with your 2018 but there does seem to be a trend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts