Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how just the new pads go. I went with R1 Concepts as well. I got the Silver Eline slotted rotors (probably overkill) and Optimum OEp pads. After 25% off the end price was $210 for all 4. I didn't bother with new clips/pad slides, just washed the old ones. I had no problem getting the set screw off the rotors with my cordless impact driver and a #3 bit, they came right off. They've been on for about 2 weeks now so it's too early to tell, but no shuddering issues so far.

I did have to take the back wheel off again and tighten up the parking brake adjuster. I didn't set it properly the first time around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'll let you know how it goes but so far I'm happy. The semi metallic brakes aren't terribly noisy and actually make the same or less brake dust than the wearever platinum ceramic pads that they're replacing

·
Registered
816 Posts
You will need to go through a few hard braking scenarios, that’s how/when the brake material gets transferred from pads to rotors causing the shudder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I just wanted to post an update. It turns out the rotors were not physically warped. I initially took the rotors off and sanded the Sh*t out of them by hand with sandpaper. I put them back on the van and initially everything felt good and I was pretty happy but at higher speeds I still noticed the shudder. I wish I had spent more time sanding or maybe done it with an angle grinder or something. The shudder continued to get worse so I went out and bought some cheap semi-metallic pads on Amazon (brand is R1 Concepts). After about a week of driving the vibration was gone.
Thanks for this update, Frank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I too used to think that rotors would "warp" but they're not actually warping. Just Google rotor warping myth. Lots of good info out there. My guess is that my wife made an emergency stop with hot brakes...causing an uneven deposit of pad material on the rotor. I'm hoping to sand down the rotor with garnet paper and clean off the pad residue and fix the issue. I'll report back in a few days and let you know if it worked
I'm at 9k miles, very lightly driven without a heavy foot. Brought it in for Service B before my 400 mile trip from San Francisco to LA. Not even 50 miles into the drive I started to feel some signs of pulsation at medium braking. A few times I had to get on the brakes a little harder, and the entire frame was shaking. Horrible, and dangerous. The service advisor said they didn't do anything to the brakes, and it is not under warranty. I'll try to switch out the pads for more abrasive ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 2018 Odyssey. At about 17k miles the front brakes started vibrating very severely. That was about 4 months ago. Dealer wanted to charge for new rotors and brakes so I did it myself. I went with Speed Test centric premium rotors and wearever platinum pads (only pads I could find at the time).
So now here we are a few months later and the vibration is back.
WTF! I don't want to buy new rotors and it seems like no one around here resurfarces them. I've heard of people installing semi metallic pads might address the issue. Anyone heard of that? Any other ideas?
hey replace the brake fluid for a "7" service. After the service they were back to normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2014 AND 2019 Odyssey (Bought both new from the dealership). The 2014 went through 14 rotors in 2 years. I drive 40,000km a year and I was told that I drove on the highway too much and on gravel roads and that was why they kept warping. They came up with so many ridiculous excuses of why they shouldn't cover it. The 2019 rotors failed at 20,000km and since I haven't driven much this year we will see what happens. The 2014 failed at 50,000km and kept warping every 10,000. I found out it was a known issue and that they came with unvented rotors from the factory. Then they were replaced with OEMs that were also unvented. Next I got Honda rotors that were vented and they lasted a bit longer but not much. I had all the brake maintenance done at the dealership and it made no difference. There's a faulty design with the rotors that I don't believe they have fixed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Perhaps you need to change your driving style if you are going through rotors every other month.

All of the energy from braking is turned into heat, which needs to be dissipated by the rotors and pads. After a heavy braking event (freeway to a stop), try moving forward a few inches 10-30 seconds after stopping. Repeat this a few times. This allows the heat from the rotor and pads to be evenly dissipated. Also, only press on the brake pedal hard enough to keep the vehicle from creeping forward at a stop.

I can get 100,000 plus miles out of a set of rotors using these steps.

·
Registered
816 Posts
hey replace the brake fluid for a "7" service. After the service they were back to normal.
Brake fluid replacement won’t fix the shudder/vibration issue during braking especially when coming to stop from high speed. They probably resurfaced the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts