Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a method, search Eric The Car Guy youtube, and on this forum, to purge trapped air in the ABS unit, by doing panic stops on wet pavement, or gravel rads. There is even a Honda TSB about ABS air trapped causing soft brakes. it worked (subjectively) on mine, full brakes on wet roads, repeated 3 times. The idea is you force the ABS to activate, which pushes the air out of the ABS into the brake lines, then you bleed the lines to get the bubbles out at the wheels.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a method, search Eric The Car Guy youtube, and on this forum, to purge trapped air in the ABS unit, by doing panic stops on wet pavement, or gravel rads. There is even a Honda TSB about ABS air trapped causing soft brakes. it worked (subjectively) on mine, full brakes on wet roads, repeated 3 times. The idea is you force the ABS to activate, which pushes the air out of the ABS into the brake lines, then you bleed the lines to get the bubbles out at the wheels.
Might have to try this. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried this yesterday on my Accord and it worked but I have issues with my rear calipers and ebrake. They feel a little more responsive now despite the rear issue. If it's raining by you that also helps to activate the ABS with less wear on tires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think there is a way to activate or "tickle" the ABS via an OBD tool isn't there? Maybe requires a special Honda scanner though, not sure

·
Registered
370 Posts
The factory service manual says to perform the normal bleeding procedure to bleed the VSA modulator, it does not specify a procedure to bleed it otherwise

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think there is a way to activate or "tickle" the ABS via an OBD tool isn't there? Maybe requires a special Honda scanner though, not sure
I had this method done on a Prius and in fact its the only way to do it with that car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
According to the FSM, you have to do it through normal bleeding. Triggering the abs while braking on a wet surface will probably also help

·
Registered
185 Posts
I tried the brakes on both 2007 and 2007 Odyssey and they're both very soft and crappy, but the brakes do work, you just need to depress the pedal a bit harder. What you observed is normal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the pedal travel excessive with the engine off and no vacuum assist? You'll have to push a bit harder than normal to test without vacuum to get a feel for what they feel like without assist.

This is controversial but, using a pair of vice grips with fuel hose over the teeth (or preferably clamps designed for this task), pinch the front brake hoses (rubber, not steel) closed relatively light (but enough to seal them closed) and see what the pedal feels like. If it feels better, you know your issue is in the front calipers. If not, you can check the rear brakes same way. If no change you know the issue is "upstream". Obviously, take care not to damage the rubber hoses.

Edit: do NOT drive the vehicle with the hoses crimped like this. Its obvious, but I'm still going to say it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow this sounds like something I need to try on another car. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You have to use a scan tool in the shop to purge the air out of the ABS box under your hood. Once air is in there it is very difficult to remove without using the scan tool.
See my picture above, the factory service manual says to bleed the brakes with the normal procedure for the VSA system, does not call for a computer to bleed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts