Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Brand new 2019 Elite Trans and other issues

2989 12
On Tuesday we picked up a brand new 2019 Elite. When we picked it up it had a bad door chip in the paint but we were able to look past and take an IOU to fix.

We noticed when driving on the way home the trans jumped like 2-3 times. We also noticed the auto shut off has not worked at all. I didn't think much of it untill today when it was shaking at idle and jumped about 5 times in a 2 mile drive.

I called the dealer and of course they need to take a look at it. I am so livid that this was never even noticed by them or any QA. I don't think this is some software fix.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this. I told them not to take my pilot we traded in anywhere because I might need to swap back. I do not want a brand new car that needs a new transmission with 22 miles on it.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
The 9 and 10 speeds transmissions combined with drive by wire throttle take some getting used to. The ECU is also learning your driving and making some changes. If you hear something and believe the issues are mechanical take it back to the dealer and ask the service writer to go on a ride with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
Fasst1, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I don't recall having to wait for my crappy 9-speed to "learn the way I drive." It's been a piece of crap since day 1. If the ECU is "learning" then it's a slow learner and the car shouldn't be jumping all over the place so that it's really noticeable.

As for the Edit button, the thing disappears a short time after your post is displayed. Totally stupid. This is the only forum I belong to where the button disappears. All other forums allow you to edit to your heart's content. Other forum software simply posts the date of the last edit so readers know something has changed. There's almost as much wrong with this forum software as the 2018 Odysseys!

· Registered
60 Posts
I hope you didn't take SPOT delivery, if something is wrong and you can prove that it existed before you took the vehicle then maybe you can get your PILOT back. Happened to me a 2 weeks ago, but it was the RES/Cabinwatch issues for 2018 which is known, they didn't want to take the vehicle back and I said bull****! Sales manager offered me 4 iPads for my 4 kids if I take the van and I said hell no. They swapped me out with a 2019 instead, so far it's been good.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the 2019 with the 10 speed transmission. This has existed since when I picked it up. I do not want the car if they need to repalce the transmission. I am hoping they get back to me soon. Right now they have had the car longer than we have and I purchased it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to my van. It is back in service for the third time. The weather is getting colder here in chicago area and the trans is getting way worse. Still only 400 miles on it and been complaning since day 1. They told me they have not been able to duplicate it. I drove over this morning and got into the car with the service manager and a tech. They recorded it happening on a compyter multiple times. All the data they have sent so far to honda says its totally ok.

When you are stopped and start driving the shift between 1/2 and 2/3 is bad. Worse than the 9 speed is. This actually feels like it is coming out of gear. I captured video of the RPMS jumping for them.

I am very worried they are going to tell me this is normal and to go jump in the lake. Does anyone have any experience working through an issue with a brand new car like this?

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
Don't you fine folks in the U.S. have something called a Lemon Law? Don't know if your situation qualifies. Perhaps words like "Lemon Law" and "Lawyer" will get them over the "that's normal" affliction so many dealers have.

· Registered
4 Posts
Fasst1, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I don't recall having to wait for my crappy 9-speed to "learn the way I drive." It's been a piece of crap since day 1. If the ECU is "learning" then it's a slow learner and the car shouldn't be jumping all over the place so that it's really noticeable.

As for the Edit button, the thing disappears a short time after your post is displayed. Totally stupid. This is the only forum I belong to where the button disappears. All other forums allow you to edit to your heart's content. Other forum software simply posts the date of the last edit so readers know something has changed. There's almost as much wrong with this forum software as the 2018 Odysseys!
Sorry to hear of your problems:um:. I have a 2018 EX-L with the 9-speed. The transmission, the engine, and almost everything else has been nothing but excellent. No issues except for one: a radio receiver that was replaced in the first month after intermittent issues. The drive train and all other systems are perfect - love it.:cheers:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I have been told now that Honda says everythign is working as normal based on all the data collected. I had a tech and Service manager in the car that felt the issues. This seems like an issue with data not telling the whole story. Its so sad now because Honda thinks everything is normal and my car drives worse than the 9speed issues.I have since emailed hoida 2 weeks ago and earlier this week on my case. They have not reached out to me so I called them today and raised hell.

I am not happy at all with this situation. I always thought Honda had great customer service. I am wondering why I didn't go buy a Pacifica.

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
I agree, fasst1. We have lowered our standards to that of a machine. "The computer says all systems are fine, therefore there's nothing wrong with your car." Yes, but what if the data supplied from the sensor is faulty. All bets are off. The accuracy of any science experiment result is only as valid as the least accurate component. In English, that means a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. This is what mankind has been reduced to.

In the good old days, you would see an engine spec that said the idle must be set to 700 RPM. Problem is, for some reason the engine would run on after the ignition was killed. So, you set the idle back a bit. Now you're out of factory (computer) spec, but the damn thing runs like a top. Honda and their associated service people need to get their collective heads out of their backsides and back into the real world. I'd continue to raise proper hell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.