Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Ody is finally here, but we can't pick it up yet because the paperwork hasn't arrived. :-( Anyway, we went on Saturday to visit it, hoping to test drive it, but it was still wrapped in the shipping plastic and nothing had been coded, so we decided to wait unitl it was preped before we drove it. During our visit the salesman started telling us that there was NO break in period for the Ody. He said that is the nice thing about Honda, none of them have break in periods. Now, since I've been reading this forum faithfully for about 4 months now, I know there's been a lot of discussion about the break in period.

What is the truth about this and what should I tell our dealer when we go back to pick it up in a few days?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, and all the saleperson said was 'don't put your right foot to the floor for the 1st 600 miles, and go easy on the brakes for the first 300 miles, to let the brake pads wear in'. Haven't looked in the manual yet but the page he showed me didn't mention a specific RPM to keep the engine below. I will be taking it easy for the 1st 600-1000 miles anyway.

Richard

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't tell your dealer anything... just nod and agree with what he's saying and leave it at that. Then follow the general rule about taking it easy for the first 600 miles and not to exceed 85 mph. I'd probably take it easy until the first oil change which I'll do at 3000 miles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No break-in period? Ask him to read you the topic on page 232 of your '02 Odyssey owner's manual-- It's "Break-in Period!!!"

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's also a good idea not to use your cruise control for the first 600 miles. The idea is to vary the rpm/load of the engine during this period. Just take it easy on the throttle and avoid long periods at a constant speed and you'll be ok. Alot of city driving during this period will usually take care of the break-in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was told by our salesman when we picked up our car 3 weeks ago that each Odyssey engine has already been run for 2000 miles at the factory before being delivered.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hotan1:
I was told by our salesman when we picked up our car 3 weeks ago that each Odyssey engine has already been run for 2000 miles at the factory before being delivered.</font>
Maybe that's the distance the engine traveled from Ontario to your dealership in Oregon.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

·
Registered
205 Posts
How can an engine alone be run for 2,000 miles? The only way you could get a measure of how long an engine has run is # of hours, or # of hours at a certain rpm...

I'm sure that they start and run each engine briefly during the manufacturing process, just as they probably run each vehicle around a 1-mile track or something before a QA inspector signs it off for sale...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called my salesman today (Brian Martin, Capitol City Honda 1-800-594 2956)) and he says that each engine is run for the equivalent of 2000 miles before it is dropped into the car. He says this is called "Dyno-Tuning (SP?)
BTW, the buying experience from Brian was excellent, got it at MSRP and the delivery date was as promised.
May be somebody with a closer tie to Honda can confirm (or deny) this issue.
Loc

·
Registered
596 Posts
A 2000 mile break-in would take over 30 hours on a dynomometer. Let's see, times 120,000 units, that would be.......... My question for that dealer would be, "do you then sell them as used cars?" I wonder when this guy escaped from the "farm". Just read the book and do what is says. Everything will be fine (as frog hair)......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
194 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hotan1:
I was told by our salesman when we picked up our car 3 weeks ago that each Odyssey engine has already been run for 2000 miles at the factory before being delivered.</font>
So did you get an additional 2000 miles added to your warranty coverage? I'd be pretty p*ssed if that were true and my engine needed work 1800 miles out of warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts