Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those wanting to buy one, www.babiesrus.com and the actual store has it on sale. You need the 15% coupon which is coupon #19.

If ordering on the internet, it is item# 097751. Follow the instructions on redeeming coupons online.

Unfortunately for me, I won't need one until a year from now. I'll wait next year for this sale to happen again.

Happy buying,

MMCD

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Plus, a year from now Britax will have a new line of carseats, to satisfy federal law requiring LATCH compatibility by September, 2002.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Damn. I'm confused.

I've got a 4 yr. old who is too big for his current seat (Century Nextstep I believe) so I'm looking for a good seat that goes from 40-80 lbs. Since I cannot get a seat w/ a harness for that weight limit, what would you guys recommend? I thought I understood what would be a good toddler/booster combo but I'm not sure I do now. That babiesRus link is pretty good (great sale prices!) but I am still not sure what would be good.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good seat that you've used that is (a) comfortable and (b) VERY safe (at a minimum uses a tether and has 5-point harness (at least to 40 lbs) and difficult-to-twist-into-mush straps)?

Here's one I kinda like above by Graco that looks like it would do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/ -/baby/B000056HLC/qid=1001021231/br=1-7/ref=br_lf_ba/002-0332216-5860077

What do you think? It says "12 months to 4 years" which is further confusing things...yet a customer review says below that in booster mode it DOES go to 80 lbs.

*sigh*. I thought I understood how to buy a carseat for 4 year old. I consider myself a fairly intelligent individual but the more I look at seats (both online & in retailers) the more confused I get.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I love the Britax Roundabout, but it is only up to 40 pounds. It's the only seat on the market that meets the "difficult-to-twist-into-mush straps" test.

I guess unless you can find a Fisher Price Futura 20/60, or unless you can wait until you can get a Britax Super Elite, you might be out of luck. You might be making compromises.

There is that Recaro seat that I saw at Right Start....

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
I love the Britax Roundabout, but it is only up to 40 pounds. It's the only seat on the market that meets the "difficult-to-twist-into-mush straps" test.

I guess unless you can find a Fisher Price Futura 20/60, or unless you can wait until you can get a Britax Super Elite, you might be out of luck. You might be making compromises.

There is that Recaro seat that I saw at Right Start....
</font>
I've had no twisting problems with our Century Nextstep DX (40 pounds in harness, then booster). Fisher Price Safe Embrace Convertible seats also have a good design for minimal strap twisting. Our Cosco Triad does not twist at the top like some other Cosco models, thanks to the upgraded 2-piece chest clip. It does twist at the latch plates in the buckle, though. Seats with a 1-piece "paper clip" chest clip are very likely to have the problem.

I'm hopeful that the Britax Super Elite will have better supply in the next few months. The Simpson Racing seat is also promising, but could also be a while. The Britax Laptop is a specialty restraint that goes to 65 pounds.

Belt positioning high back boosters are good restraints provided you use them properly, and the child sits in the seatbelt properly. I think any of the combination models with a harness serve the purpose well, and models which are only belt positioning boosters probably do it a bit better. The Evenflo Express and Graco Cherished Cargo are a couple other alternatives to the NextStep MX and DX. Britax has a great line of booster seats.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found out in the American Baby magazine that the reason the harness strap twists depends upon the material. Polyester harness does not twist but the nylon harness does twist.

I looked at my son's Renolux carseat. I've had this for 9 years. I know it should be replaced because it has been discontinued for a long time. However, it is still in great shape for not being used for 6/9 years. This was the top of the line back then. It cost me $125 which I can't believe I paid that much for a car seat 9 years ago. This harness does not twist and is made of polyester. My 1 year old $50 Century Breverra straps twists so much at the same place as caviller's. It is made of nylon. UGGGHH!!

I think I will try to starch spray the nylon harness strap of the Century just to keep it from twisting. If this does not work, my next step is to wrap tape around the latch plate. I noticed that the slit is wide enough for 3 harness straps to fit through. That is why it twists so much. On the Renolux, their slits are so much narrower.

BTW, that 15% coupon is for any carseat from BabiesRus as long as it is over $30.

MMCD

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like our two Cosco Alpha Omegas. We've not had any strap trouble so far, but only a month of use so far. This seat is from 5-80lbs, available with or without the shield. They come with two piece chest buckle, and the strap does not seem like it will be the kind to twist. Hopefully I will not have to take that back!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts