Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Broke ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (twice)... how important is it?

404 5
So we're doing a pretty big flush of front end work on our 2008 - suspension stuff but also driver's side wheel bearing. My husband did a great job with the bearing except that the ABS Wheel Sensor was totally jammed in its hole, he broke it trying to get it out (and yes, he used penetrating oil). So I bought a new sensor from an auto parts store, it looked right but darned if it's too big to slip in its hole like in any DIY videos. Sure enough we broke that one, too, shaving it down a bit to fit haha. So it's in there currently plugging the hole but not working.

A few questions for this hive mind. Is it because it's cold out and the hub is that unbelievably shrunken (basically at freezing today)? Could it be the wrong part was given to me by the auto parts store (does someone have the correct part number)? Finally, how important is ABS and VSA to actually be functioning? That last question is on behalf of my husband who doesn't like ABS to start with and doesn't want to deal with it...
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Your brakes will work fine, just no ABS or VSA. Also, if you buy the sensor from Honda it will fit with no problem. Also, the hole itself may be mucked up. You can try running a drill bit in and out of the hole.

Finally, do your own research on the value of ABS or VSA.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
does someone have the correct part number)?
The Honda part #'s are:
Sensor Assembly, R Front
57450-SHJ-A02
Sensor Assembly, L Front
57455-SHJ-A02
You would have to find a way to cross-reference these #'s with those from the parts store to know if they gave you the correct one.

Sometimes parts stores stretch the application range of a part and expect the owner to make it fit.
Is it because it's cold out and the hub is that unbelievably shrunken (basically at freezing today)?
Unlikely due to thermal contraction. Make sure the hole is free of dirt and rust.
Finally, how important is ABS and VSA to actually be functioning?
Probably not necessary if the car is always driven gently on dry pavement with new tires. But they can help to keep the car under control in low-traction situations.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No matter where you live, I personally would not recommending disabling Anti-lock brake nor the VSA system permanently just because of $10 part (at U-pull it yard, probably) or less than $100 even if you buy both new from online Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2008 Odyssey Touring
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. We're pretty sure it was the wrong part - I ordered another one from another source and it fit just fine. Pretty darn frustrating! A learning experience every time, ha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts