Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered the inner axle boot on the Ody's passenger's side is broken. Other than making a greasy mess under the car, the axle seems to be in good condition. The car has 52k miles. Should I replace the whole axle ?? If so, which aftermarket brand is good ??

·
Registered
635 Posts
I assume you are talking about the CV boot? If the CV joint itself is in good condition, just replace the boot with a new one packed with new grease and you're good to go. Why replace the entire CV joint if you don't need it?? You can test it by accelerating with the wheel turned full right and listening for any grinding or unusual noises then doing it again turned full left. If you don't hear anything unusual, the joint should still be ok.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, its the CV joint boot. The joints seem good. I will take your advice and chage just the boots; I might as well replace both boots while I'm at it, the outer boot is kind of hardened from age and use.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How much to get a new axle installed vs replacing the 2 cv boots ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A brand-new, OEM, half-axle runs in the mid-to-low $300. Obviously, the boots will be much less than that. The reason I considered replacing the whole thing is because there is some effort involved in removing the axles and joints just to replace the boot and it would suck if, after replacing the boot, the joint goes bad because it picked up dirt while the boot was broken. I didn't know the cost of the axles until recently. Maybe if the axle was a little cheaper it might be worth replacing the whole thing and playing it safe.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I had this problem with the Maxima. Indy told me that if I did not know when the boot broke, I should get the whole axle replaced. If you drove in any dirt or rain after the boot broke, boot replacement is not recommended is what he told me.

Also, a single axle costs considerably more than a pair in the Maxima's case. You might want to bite the bullet and get both half axles swapped out for more peace of mind as you don't want the CV Joint to go a year or two after you replace the boot with all the labor involved. For my Maxima, they did NOT recommend to do in pairs so I spent $350 for one and another $375 for the other which went only about 6 months after the first side went.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this problem with the Maxima. Indy told me that if I did not know when the boot broke, I should get the whole axle replaced. If you drove in any dirt or rain after the boot broke, boot replacement is not recommended is what he told me.
I agree with this, the joint will fail because it gets dirt and moisture inside it. You've been driving around for who knows how long with it exposed. I would spend the money and just go ahead and replace it and save yourself the trouble of redoing in 6 months or a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts