Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving to work Friday morning and all of a sudden I find myself driving on 3 wheels !! Front, lower ball joint broke pulling out my passenger-side half-axle. Luckily, I didn't hit anything or anyone and I was able to drag the car onto the curb and out of traffic until the tow arrived. I bought the car about a year ago and I have little knowledge about the suspension maintenance made before that so I decided to play it safe and replace almost every part that could make this happen again: both lower ball-joints, both upper control arms with bushings and ball joints, both inner and outer tie ends, both sway bar links, and both half-axles. While at it, I flushed and replaced my transmission fluid which leaked out anyway when I pulled out the axles.

I used all Prosteer components from PepBoys. These are "lifetime" warrantied and looked like pretty decent quality. Has anyone else used these components ?? Any feedback ?? Also, aside from the parts I mentioned, is there anything else I should have replaced ??

Here is a pic of the car while waiting for the tow-truck. Damage to the fender was minimal as I was able to "massage" it back into place. The only "real" damage was when the tow driver busted one of my OEM fog lights when pulling the car up ..

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
So I'm driving to work Friday morning and all of a sudden I find myself driving on 3 wheels !! Front, lower ball joint broke pulling out my passenger-side half-axle. Luckily, I didn't hit anything or anyone and I was able to drag the car onto the curb and out of traffic until the tow arrived. I bought the car about a year ago and I have little knowledge about the suspension maintenance made before that so I decided to play it safe and replace almost every part that could make this happen again: both lower ball-joints, both upper control arms with bushings and ball joints, both inner and outer tie ends, both sway bar links, and both half-axles. While at it, I flushed and replaced my transmission fluid which leaked out anyway when I pulled out the axles.

I used all Prosteer components from PepBoys. These are "lifetime" warrantied and looked like pretty decent quality. Has anyone else used these components ?? Any feedback ?? Also, aside from the parts I mentioned, is there anything else I should have replaced ??

Here is a pic of the car while waiting for the tow-truck. Damage to the fender was minimal as I was able to "massage" it back into place. The only "real" damage was when the tow driver busted one of my OEM fog lights when pulling the car up ..
how many miles on odo?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
163,000 miles so I'm really not complaining. I guess the previous owner missed checking up on the suspension.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm extremely conservative when it comes to suspension parts for this very reason. On my various rusty old BMWs, I use OE parts (ZF/Lemforder) purchased via aftermarket sources. They are identical to the parts from the dealership parts counter. Most of the aftermarket suspension parts are poor quality regardless of the warranty on the box. The ball joint sockets are often short lived. The rubber tends to delaminate faster. I have also seen some scary machining on ball joint studs.

I have no idea what is available for the Odyssey but I imagine the situation is similar so I will personally stay away from aftermarket stuff. With that said, a friend who used to work for a parts chain told me that he is very pleased with the construction of some Moog ball joints so I might be willing to try their stuff at some point.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wander if it would be a good idea to report the snap to NTHSA. There was a recal for certain ody years

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a couple of weeks since I completed the repair. The PepBoys parts seem to be performing well with the exception of the passenger's side axle which has developed a "clacking" sound when I turn the wheel; the joint may be bad. I'll be returning the axle to the store this weekend for a replacement. The ball-joints are still very solid as are the rest of the components. There is no play whatsoever on the wheel with the front end raised off the ground. One observation regarding the inner tie-rods; you need to bend the lock-washers tight on the nut. I found them to be a little loose a couple of days after installing.

Regarding the bad axle, this is what I like about "lifetime" warranty, you can return them anytime they go bad. I just hope they don't go bad every other week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts