Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's seat in our 2004 Odyssey tilts at an angle, toward the driver's side window. It's been that way for about 2 years now.

I had to take it in to our mechanic for something else yesterday and asked him about it. He said that he recalled checking into prices for seats when we brought up the issue before and found that they were pretty expensive. He recommended trying to find one online and then pay him to install it.

Anyone have any experience with that? I've looked around online and found a couple eBay auctions but not much else.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to figure out what broke and see if I could just get that fixed without replacing the entire seat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
dude save your money those seats are expensive, mine did the same thing in my 04, if you take the seat out and look its a weld thats let go, it just needs a 2" tack from the seat frame to the slides, cost me nothing cause i pulled the seat myself, have a look under there might be the same issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Are there any how-to videos out there for pulling out the seat? Is it easy to do?

And what did you use to weld it? Did you get a tube of that stuff that's sold at car supply stores?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Look at your seat closely and see what failed. I had a failure on my 2004 seat (power). Had to do some work with a 1/8" steel plate for repair and it took me a couple of hours and some relatively modest tool work. That car had over 300K miles on it when it broke, but worked great after fix until totaled later. The fis is likely to be not that difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it.

Look at your seat closely and see what failed. I had a failure on my 2004 seat (power). Had to do some work with a 1/8" steel plate for repair and it took me a couple of hours and some relatively modest tool work. That car had over 300K miles on it when it broke, but worked great after fix until totaled later. The fis is likely to be not that difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
And what did you use to weld it? Did you get a tube of that stuff that's sold at car supply stores?
If it is a broken weld or cracked steel you do not want to use tubes of stuff. Bring it to a local welder and have them put a couple beads of weld on it. Or if you know a friend with a MIG welder it's probably 5 mins of work to weld. Bring it to NH and I'll weld it for you. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I'm about 3,000 miles away, but I appreciate the offer. :)

A friend referred me to a mechanic who said he's seen this kind of thing before and will take a look at it for me. If it needs to be welded, he knows a guy who can do that. Hopefully I can get it fixed for a lot less than a replacement seat would cost.

If it is a broken weld or cracked steel you do not want to use tubes of stuff. Bring it to a local welder and have them put a couple beads of weld on it. Or if you know a friend with a MIG welder it's probably 5 mins of work to weld. Bring it to NH and I'll weld it for you. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to bump this thread. Any thoughts on the best place to find a replacement driver's seat for an '04 Odyssey? It's the one with power controls, but it's not heated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A wrecking yard is probably your only option. Did you ever get it looked at? The welds are a pretty common fail point on these chairs and I pulled mine and welded it myself several years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone did look at it and said it needed a weld but he didn't have the right kind of welder. He referred me to someone else who he said had the right kind of welder, but that guy's wife insisted on the phone that he didn't do any welding. She referred me to an auto body shop who told me they would never weld a seat due to potential liability if the weld failed in an accident.

I guess I'll go back to the first guy and see if he has the right kind of welder now.

A wrecking yard is probably your only option. Did you ever get it looked at? The welds are a pretty common fail point on these chairs and I pulled mine and welded it myself several years ago.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Where was it broken on yours, and how did you fix it?
I cannot imagine that a 15 year old van's seat could be remotely expensive. Your best bet is either take the seat from a junkyard, just google junkyards, pick-a-pull, whatever they are called in your city. there's probably like a dozen or so of that van in your town and another dozen in the next town. as far as welding, the guy who referred you is pulling your chain, they don't want the liability, you probably seem like a guy who would raise trouble if the seat was at fault in an accident. they don't want you coming back and sueing them for a $40 job. you should be able to get any joe blow in your city to do some spot welds or even go to harbor freight and for $100-200 have all you need to do it yourself. check craigslist or google some amateur welders

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine failed here. Same driver side. Door is to the right. It failed at the large washer like object. Is that where others have had this issue? My van is a 2001 with 360k miles. We are getting ready to add another to the fleet, 2011 Touring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
kotaylor2
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing