Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 odyssey with 164k miles.
Got home to find coolant pouring out from under the passenger side of the van. Very alarming! I jump back in and check the temp gauge, normal. I pop the hood and start looking for a leak....can't seem to find one.
Fluid has stopped leaking, reservoir maxed out.
Top hose hot, bottom hose much cooler. Fluid looks to have leaked down the passenger side of the radiator.
I take out the battery and pull out the reservoir, fluid looks great. I then notice two small holes in the reservoir that must be for over flow. I open the cap to the radiator. The cap comes apart in my hand, spring and plastic piece remain in the radiator. I quickly needle nose out.
I purchase a new one and the Odyssey is running fine.
Seems the broken cap blocked off the coolant flow and it was forced out the reservoir over flow. Happy ending.

It seems you are suppose to replace the cap every time you replace the coolant.
Had no idea.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt to replace the cap when you replace the coolant. Hate that it happened to you but thankfully you got it fixed in a hurry. Good tip!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The replacement cap I bought at Advanced Auto doesn't look nearly as heavy duty as the original. Next time I'll look into buying a Honda manufacture cap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a HKS Honda rad cap from Nengun this has a lower blow off pressure rating to protect high performance engines. Its a good quality cap and has been fine since I fitted it 6 months ago. Cost about £15 also it's chrome so adds a bit of bling if you like that sort of thing ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts