Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 13 inch TV VCR that works on ac/dc you do not even need a power inverter. This unit is very heavy. I purchased the Honda because I felt it was the safest car available to move the most precious cargo in the world. There is no price that I would put on the safety of my daughter. I don't think anyone would bolt a bowling ball to the ACC tray. However bolting this TV to a homemade stand is the equivalent to bolting three bowling balls down. I have seen the tray with a brass latch to hold the TV down. This would not stand up to any force at all. A strap over the TV would also be pretty ineffective. Anything short of bolting the TV to the frame would be extremely hazardous to any passengers. If you want to save money buy the 500 steel horse console and bolt it to the floor. Even then you have a large hazard from flying glass if the acumen tube shatters. This is the main reason all manufactures have gone to the LCD system.
There is no price we can put on the safety of our children. anyone installing a system of this type is kidding themselves. I have a laptop computer with a 14 inch active matrix screen and dvd player. The output is fantastic. However I do not wish this to fly at my daughter either. I would rather have a child that is entertained by a coloring book poorly than a zombie that had to watch the TV to be entertained.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed target has a nine inch floor console on sale for $369. This might make a nice addition to someones van. It includes tv and vcr in one unit. The floor console can also be used in conjuction with the jensen or other overhead screen

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Good point. Also consider that if the screen breaks in an accident, thin glass shards will be everywhere after the tube implodes then scatters.

LCD units are safer, whether consoles, backpacks or overhead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
Good point. Also consider that if the screen breaks in an accident, thin glass shards will be everywhere after the tube implodes then scatters.

LCD units are safer, whether consoles, backpacks or overhead.
</font>
What about applying film over the screen like an anti-glare film. Would that keep the glass from flying all over the place?
What type of accident would cause the screen to explode. A typical front/back collision, or a roll over. Any comments greatly appreciated.

CIAO

------------------
01 Odyessey EX Silver
97 VW Jetta GT Blue
78 T-Bird Black

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe V:
What about applying film over the screen like an anti-glare film. Would that keep the glass from flying all over the place?
What type of accident would cause the screen to explode. A typical front/back collision, or a roll over. Any comments greatly appreciated.

CIAO

</font>
If your TV/VCR with CRT is securely anchored, and you have a plastic film over the screen, I think the risks are minimal. Unsecured, just about any type of severe crash could launch the unit, and when it impacts, the tube could easily shatter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts