Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I wanted a bug deflector for my 02 ODY so I called MacNeil. They claimed that the 02 version was still "under development" and gave me the number of the place that makes them (autovanshade???). I called them and they stated that as of the previous Friday, their guy verified that the bug deflector for the 01 Ody will work on the 02. So I bought one. But before I install it (or at least attempt to), can anyone verify that the 01 and 02 versions of the bug deflector are the same?

Thanks
-m

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was told by Macneil the bug deflector for 01 and 02 are different. They said they tried to put the 01 model on an 02 and the hood wouldn't close.

I regrettably ordered the Honda one from hondaparts4u.com

Even at the discounted price and free shipping it was twice as much as the Macneil one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, that's not good if true. Has anyone actually tried to install an 01 version on an 02? I can't think how they could be that different...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 01 MacNeil deflector on my 2002 MB EXL-RES. I did not need to do a hard install. What I mean is that you clip the deflector under the rubber seal of the hood. Hold the hood halfway up and release. It closed fine and there is no loose play in the deflector. I think the honda deflector is more snug but you need to TLC the hood where you install the brackets. I assume the hood will be slightly discolored over time in this area.

My opinion, get the MacNeil and see what I did. You have 30 days if you are not happy.

I am thrilled with mine

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also have a MacNeil on a 2002. It installed with no problems. I really can't see that anything has changed on 2002 vs. 2001. I used the sticky tape to install it and put the mounting tabs under the rubber weather seal as shown in the instructions. I did not do the optional bolt it on thing because it seems very secure as it is.

[This message has been edited by RonD (edited 02-12-2002).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jeez, I wish I knew that the '01 does work. Macneil told me different.

Anyway I installed the Honda deflector on today and it was kind of a pain. The hardest part was lining up the stick-on mounts. I didn't just stick it in the corner of the hood as directed. I installed it all with the mounts screwed on the defelctor. Then I used a felt tip pen to mark where it should sit. Essentially it is close to installing it twice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I'll install it this weekend and report back only if something goes awry.

Cheers,

-m

·
Registered
149 Posts
My first new Honda was a 1994 Accord LX. I didn't add anything to it. It was completely stock. I tried to add an aftermarket hood deflector to it but it just didn't fit right and I didn't want to pay for an "original" Honda defelctor. Anyway I ran it without the deflector and I had so many paint chips, it made me sick. Is it worth it? To me it is if I can prevent chipping.

------------------
2002 TW EX
Weathertech interlocking floor and cargo mats.
Honda hood deflector.
Mathing fron window tint.
Mud guards.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oldschool:

Hmm, that's not good if true. Has anyone actually tried to install an 01 version on an 02? I can't think how they could be that different...
</font>
I bought a bug deflector from MacNeil for my '02 a couple of months ago. Lazy me, I hadn't installed it yet

I just called them a few minutes ago:

<center>MacNeil said that there is a slight difference between the '01 and '02 hoods and that I should <u>not</u> install the bug deflector.</center>

The corrected model is in development and they don't have a due date. They offered a full refund, which I think I'll take.

Many thanks to those who brought up this issue!

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MacNeil said that there is a slight difference between the '01 and '02 hoods and that I should not install the bug deflector.
</font>
Thats what they told me so I bought the Honda (TM) one for double the cost and some
Oh well I didn't want to take the chance getting paint chips on the hood.

------------------
2002 TW EX
Weathertech interlocking floor and cargo mats.
Honda hood deflector.
Mathing fron window tint.
Mud guards.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JQKA28:
When will they publish the new deflector for our 02 odyssey? </font>
When I stopped by the McaNeil office this morning in Downer's Grove, IL, they said they did not have an expected date for the '02 deflector.

They cheerfully gave me a full refund. I hadn't opened the package yet but they said even if I had tried to install it they would have given me a full refund.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

1 - 13 of 13 Posts