Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever built a center console with an integrated subwoofer? Does one already exist in the "aftermarket world?"

I've never had any experience with this, but wouldn't it be similar to building a subwoofer box that fits between the seats?

Instead of building an actual "sub-box," which may take some actual "audio knowledge," maybe it could be as simple as mounting a Bazooka powered sub firing toward the rear. Box could be wrapped in matching vinyl or OEM carpet. Could easily wire in 12 volt outlet or even a power inverter for PS2 or other appliance.

Anyone have experience with Bazooka powered subs? If the 10" turns out to being too big to mount into the box, will the 8" be a waste of money . . . ie too small to make a real difference?

Anyone have the Steelhorse or Wolf consoles? Could these be modified to accept a Bazooka sub?

Any help would be appreciated as I am a novice when it comes to this kind of thing!

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Man314:

Anyone have experience with Bazooka powered subs? If the 10" turns out to being too big to mount into the box, will the 8" be a waste of money . . . ie too small to make a real difference?

</font>
I have an "8 hooked-up to a dedicated sub amp in my Corolla. Gives a really good punch.But of course I can't compare the opne space in that car to an Odyssey.
A member here, Tealphant, has a picture of his Bazooka in the galery. Maybe he has some input into this.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 6.5" Bazooka RS-HP in my rear compartment. It WILL NOT provide thumping bass, but will warm the sound up if that is what your after. It does work good on Dolby Digital and DTS material for video.

The 6.5" Bazooka will fit on the back side (next to spare tire jack compartment) and still allow your 3rd row seat to fold down. This is the only reason I went with the Bazooka.

See my pictures in the Gallery, VideoNavi

·
1,484 Posts
I have a Wolf console but I don't think you could fit an entire Bazooka in there. But maybe you could put in a good size speaker and make it work like a sub. It has carpeted lining. Might need to a passage hole or two. Who knows, anything is possible! Let us know what you come up with.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
23 Posts
nemogira said:
I have a Wolf console but I don't think you could fit an entire Bazooka in there. But maybe you could put in a good size speaker and make it work like a sub. It has carpeted lining. Might need to a passage hole or two. Who knows, anything is possible! Let us know what you come up with.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI
Which Wolf console do you have? Does it work well, considering the floor isn't level in our Odyssey's (heating duct)?

Thx
Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats an awsome sub. I like the diamond plate accent on the top. did he build it or buy it somewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I belive he had the custom made, I received a quote yesterday from where he had it done, the gentleman told me. Hmmm something similair would cost me around $500+ with out the sub... and I said... Hmmm.. don't think so.... way out of my range especially for a box.

·
Registered
365 Posts
GreenwithNV said:
Hmmm something similair would cost me around $500+ with out the sub... and I said... Hmmm.. don't think so.... way out of my range especially for a box.
Is that quote for just a plain carpeted box, or one like Radar's one? I don't think a regular box would cost that much. :confused:

·
Registered
561 Posts
$500 for a box?! You could do what I did and just get a behind-the-seat pickup truck wedge type box and put it under the third seat and no one knows it's there until they feel it. The box really does amazingly well with a little fine "tuning" for two 10's under there. I can get a good range from bump to thump, depending on the song. If I want to haul something large in the back, I can still fold down the seat and just flip the box forward so the woofers face the back of the second row seats. No muss, no fuss. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just wondering, I have a 8" RS Bazooka tube under the rear seat. like someone else said, it compliments the factory radio perfectly and it has a remote.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
ex-r said:
Is that quote for just a plain carpeted box, or one like Radar's one? I don't think a regular box would cost that much. :confused:
Must be for Radar's....

But folks, don't be surprised what custom work costs.... $500 doesn't sound bad at all, based on what was done to that box. Take a look a the detail there in craftsmanship and you can appreciate the cost better:

- the box has significantly rounded/contoured top edges
- clear acrylic probably 1"-1.5" thick rear panel
- custom cut metal retaining plate
- cover material looks like factory upholstery
- diamond patterned plate on top
- finished interior due to acrylic see-through window
- I wouldn't be surprised if the box didn't have neon or LED lighting inside either.

Obviously, Radar is looking for competition level fit/finish and a certain "look". His whole van, (though not something I'd do) is all aimed at that. Taking everything to the extreme.

In terms of getting someone to build a custom box, the price really can vary. But keep in mind most custom shops charge in the $50-$100 per hour range. Even a simple fully custom box with some plain carpet will cost you some bucks. That's why so many buy pre-fab, or spend the time to just do it themselves....

Then you have me who just wants to do EVERYTHING myself.

Stay tuned for my version of a center console sub...(who knows exactly when it will happen though!!!)

Dual 10" Boston Comp 1000s, integrated cupholders and center console functionality. All in a very SUBTLE, non-obtrusive configuration..... We'll see if and how well I pull it off though! :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm installing a JL dual 8" Bandpass box that will fit nicely between the seats. I am looking for a way to mount the OEM tray to the box so I won't lose functionality. I picked the box up on ebay for $75 and I would have to say it hits as hard as my JL Stealthbox I have in my S2000. Hopefully it will be installed by spring.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As Shinjohn mentioned, my box is very custom. Probably $150 in bill of materials. It has neon, four switches that are wired to switch on and off different amplifiers. There are two subs in the back that I don't want on all the time.

The bass quality can't be compared. Take the best you can afford in home and we'll talk. The sub in the "ENCLOSURE" NOT A BOX, is the JL Audio 10W6v2. This thing, as far as output, sounds like a pair of 12 inch woofs because of the down firing configuration and long excursion design of the subwoofer.

GreenwithNV, I'll give you a demo later this spring after everything is finished. I'm in Rockland county just above you.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
OK, I am posting some pics I took of 03 SS-RES's cutom center console sub box. He got the idea from Radar's custom box. The only thing is he wanted it to look more stock, not flashy, with plexi or neons. The box has one 10" JL sub firing down. The stereo guys flushed mounted the factory tray to the top of the box. They did a good job. I think I am gonna have them make my box the same way. Anyway here are a few pics I took. If you have any questions you can ask 03 SS-RES.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice box. I do still plan on installing my tray table to to my JL Bandpas box. Looks like the shop cut holes in the box to accept the cup holders. I was hoping I would not have to do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts