Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a dealer gives you a build date does this mean the date the factory starts to build the Ody or the completion date?
Also, how long does it take to build an Ody and how long after it's complete till it reaches the dealer? (west coast)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
When a dealer gives you a build date does this mean the date the factory starts to build the Ody or the completion date?
Also, how long does it take to build an Ody and how long after it's complete till it reaches the dealer? (west coast)
</font>
IMHO, the build date should be when assembly is completed. It takes less than a day to assemble an Ody.

Shipping time seems to be more a function of rail and truck scheduling than it is distance.

Contrary to what one might expect, some buyers here have said they waited two weeks for local delivery while others on the coasts have gotten their Odys in a few days.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was told my Ody was built last Thursday (3/7) and is in shipping. I am in Missouri, so not totally applicable to West Coast, but I will reply when it finally arrives. I was told "10 days to 2 weeks max"! We'll see....

------------------
'02 TW EX-L (in transit)
Previous Hondas:
'88 Prelude S
'78 Accord Hatchback

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer claims that the build date indicates the first day of the build and it takes 4 days to complete. They understand that to mean that it takes 4 days to get each Ody through the production lines. They say the Alabama plant's capacity is around 150,000 a year so 'if' it takes 4 days to build an Ody then they would have to run groups of around 1,640 through the line every 4 days - does this make any sense???

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
My dealer claims that the build date indicates the first day of the build and it takes 4 days to complete...</font>
I'm not sure I can agree with their take on the build date.

Back when the BNSF site was providing tracing information, buyers were able to trace their shipped Odys within a day or two of the build date. They wouldn't have been able trace shipments that soon if the build date was the start of assembly and not the finish.

The build date for mine was 10/11/01 (from the dealer's printed report from Honda). The van was delivered to my dealer the night of 10/15/02 and to me on 10/16/01. If what your dealer says is true, the shipping time would have been only one one day, which seems pretty fast.

Finally, there are some articles on the web that suggest that vehicles are assembled in less than a day. One <a href="http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~iir/ncw/wpapers/shaiken/page2.html">1995 article</a> says that the Civic takes 20 hours. The Toyota plant in Cambridge, Canada, <a href="http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/ni-ka/news/canjpress/1999/june99-e.asp">uses 17.66 hours per vehicle</a>. <a href="http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/laudon6/chapter1/essay8/deluxe-content.html">Nissan takes slightly more than one day</a> to make a vehicle. I wouldn't expect Honda to be slower than their competitors.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
67 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by swonuke4:
I was told my Ody was built last Thursday (3/7) and is in shipping. I am in Missouri, so not totally applicable to West Coast, but I will reply when it finally arrives. I was told "10 days to 2 weeks max"! We'll see....

</font>
I just got notified, the Ody was delivered today. So that would be 6 days build to delivery in St Louis. Not sure if it was a Canada or Alabama build.

------------------
'02 TW EX-L (in transit)
Previous Hondas:
'88 Prelude S
'78 Accord Hatchback

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got our 2002 EX-L -NAVI SS from another dealer that had one on the lot!

The original dealer I was working with was having trouble getting one and they bumped the build date twice on me. The last tactic they were trying was to trade an EX -RES for a NAVI as soon as they got a RES in and found a NAVI at another dealer to trade it with. -Boy, this process was
sounding more and more convoluted to me and I was wondering
when "if ever" we were going to get our car.

I got tired of letting them "get around to finding me one" so I called around and found one at another dealer only 40 miles away.
I wanted to keep things "above board" so I told the first dealer that I found one so that they could do the trade however the dealer with the NAVI was not willing to trade since they said they had a buyer...ME! (since I called earlier asking about thier NAVI)

Well, when I called the first dealer back to see how the trade was going they told me to go for the NAVI at the second dealer since the second dealer would never believe I was the same customer as the one who called earlier so I was able to get the deal I wanted after all - just from the second dealer.
btw: the second dealer was much easier to work with too.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts