Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone do me a favor.

The Light Switch that turns Interior Light On, Off or Automatic. Does it have a tiny bulb that illuminates it at night? My switch is dark (no illumination at night).

I don't recall that but would appreciate someone checking it for me!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attached is the picture of the switch in question: Is it illuminated at night?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much!!!
So my bulb is out!
Does anyone know the PN for this bulb?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Appears to be 35856-SHJ-A01 BULB (14V 40MA). See #20 in link below:

Switch

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally have the time to tackle this tiny bulb in the "Interior Light Switch".

"pvp" was correct, the bulb is 35856-SHJ-A01 40mA type, $5 at dealer.
But Radioshack 272-1092 60mA bulb works just fine.
Radioshack sells a pair (qty = 2) of these tiny bulbs for $1.90, so 95 cents each.

See the thread link below for tips, but here is the summary:
- Sit on Pass Seat, pry the Heater Control Panel out.
- No need to disconnect anything. Now move your butt to Driver Seat.
(In contrast, to replace the Heater Control bulbs, you have to disconnect the 4 connectors).

Fig. 1a: You will see the blue-based bulb. Just untwist it 1/4 turn and it comes out.

Fig. 1b: shows the Radioshack bulb vs the Honda OEM bulb (which has a blue rubber "mini condom" cap).

Fig. 1c: Note how the bulb bare wire runs: basically from the bottom of the base, looping over the top and coming back down in the groove.
- Now remove the factory bulb
- Get the new Radioshack bulb and cut the wires to the same length (or 1-2 mm longer) than factory length.
- Transfer the blue rubber "mini condom" cap to the new bulb, making sure the wires follow the exact same path as factory.

Fig. 1d: shows the blue rubber "mini condom" cap.

OdyDashBulb06.JPG

- Install the new bulb.
- Turn key to position II
- Turn on the headlight to verify that the bulb works.
- Turn off headlight, make sure switch is in OFF position!
- That is it boys and girls.

OdyDashBulb07.JPG

PS: Related thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/47562-diy-replacing-climate-control-hazard-lights.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can we get this guy his "own" DIY section, cnn's corner or cnn's garage something that seems befitting. As we have all come to appreciate and expect from cnn, another insightful and useful DIY. Keep up the good work mate!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for this post on your experience. Appears same for my '01. I just didn't dig in deep enough to find the bulb has a blue cap. I have a #7219 bulb but need to check the current draw. The cap will hold the heat. Heat damages. You get the picture. Engineering counts. Hmm, just checked. The 7219 is 60ma. Same as the old Radio Shack solution. Oh well, worth a shot. Easy to get to. Thanks again. Current tip: 1000bulbs.com, pack of 10 for $5. With Amazon Prime, may be free shipping.

I finally have the time to tackle this tiny bulb in the "Interior Light Switch".

"pvp" was correct, the bulb is 35856-SHJ-A01 40mA type, $5 at dealer.
But Radioshack 272-1092 60mA bulb works just fine.
Radioshack sells a pair (qty = 2) of these tiny bulbs for $1.90, so 95 cents each.

See the thread link below for tips, but here is the summary:
- Sit on Pass Seat, pry the Heater Control Panel out.
- No need to disconnect anything. Now move your butt to Driver Seat.
(In contrast, to replace the Heater Control bulbs, you have to disconnect the 4 connectors).

Fig. 1a: You will see the blue-based bulb. Just untwist it 1/4 turn and it comes out.

Fig. 1b: shows the Radioshack bulb vs the Honda OEM bulb (which has a blue rubber "mini condom" cap).

Fig. 1c: Note how the bulb bare wire runs: basically from the bottom of the base, looping over the top and coming back down in the groove.
- Now remove the factory bulb
- Get the new Radioshack bulb and cut the wires to the same length (or 1-2 mm longer) than factory length.
- Transfer the blue rubber "mini condom" cap to the new bulb, making sure the wires follow the exact same path as factory.

Fig. 1d: shows the blue rubber "mini condom" cap.

View attachment 11499

- Install the new bulb.
- Turn key to position II
- Turn on the headlight to verify that the bulb works.
- Turn off headlight, make sure switch is in OFF position!
- That is it boys and girls.

View attachment 11500

PS: Related thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/47562-diy-replacing-climate-control-hazard-lights.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts