Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, not my wife, hit a deer in UP, Mich going 60+ while driving cross-country at dawn (of course). After having it "fixed" and getting ready to have it fixed for real this time, I'm thinking I don't want this again. I could not drive at dusk/dawn on the next road trip which given my personality and family makeup is unlikely. Anybody install bull bars to just push whatever out of the way and keep going. Joking a little but having an intact radiator after such an event would be great. I figure if it bolts on and off I'd only put it on when on a road trip. Driving around the suburbs of Seattle would look pretty ridiculous with bull bars on a mini-van. Why didn't they make the 3.5l air-cooled, I would have been fine...

·
Registered
369 Posts
At interstate speeds, nothing you could install on a minivan would do any bit of good. Even ones added to pick-up trucks are generally aluminum and made for looks, not for pushing deer out of the way at 55mph+.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Iv been interested in a push bar ever since I saw one on a 05+ Ody on the other side of the street opposite the red light I was sitting at. It was a simple chrome bar that was about 2 feet wide and not nore than a foot high. I would put one on to 1, keep the bottom plastic from getting riped up any more than it already is and it looked like a great place to hang a pair of amber fog lights.
After searching the net, Im about convinced the guy must have had it custum made to fit. I fab alot of stuff and may give it a try when I get some time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bull bars on trucks actually work quite well. They may not prevent all damage but they prevent a fair amount of it.

Just make sure its attached with bushing mount load on it. That way the force is spread out over a couple of inches rather than all at once. Plus, it makes it a bit easier to replace if it doesn't eat up the frame.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Anything is possible with the right amount of money whether it is a bullbar or LRAD deer zapper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is/was a guy here in Toronto with an Ra1 with a bull bar. Hanging from this bull bar were the brightest aircraft landing lights I have ever seen. I am tossing the idea around for my RL1. I may or may not do it but I believe universal ones will work. There are Pilots and MD-Xs with bull bars and if I am not mistaken, the tow hooks are - or should be - about the same. I will investigate....

·
Registered
778 Posts
A friend of mine's mother insists on having these bars installed on all of her cars, and the last car she got, was a Buick Enclave. I didn't know how to picture it, but I knew it had been done at a custom shop. One day I saw it and I have to admit, the shop did a pretty good job of incorporating it into the look of the car. The thing even had wings that covered the headlights and everything. I also know that this particular bar was installed for added protection, not for cosmetic appearance. I have been wondering ever since what they could do to an Ody. I would never get it done though, but I'll try and find the picture if anyone wants to see it. The point is, they can put them on any car, regardless of what the car was built to do, unless you think Buick designed the Enclave to go rock crawling. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a resident in a state where deer, antelope, elk, moose, and buffalo easily outnumber bipeds, I can state with confidence that deer strainers do, in fact, work quite well, but only if built for that purpose. There are many that are built for looks and will not protect anything in the event of road hunting and I'm afraid that the above link appears to be of that variety. A legitimate deer strainer must be made of very high quality metal and any manufacturer will note that as the price will be much greater than $140. Also, it will likely need more mounts than just a few OEM accessory bolt holes. Be aware though, that a good deer strainer will likely get totalled if you hit a deer. The intention is for the strainer to take the impact, not your frame. I built a 1/2" bumper for my Jeep and shake my head at it realizing that any impact will transfer the energy to the weakest point, which is now my frame, not the accessory.

the city bull bar linked above will likely help in a 5mhp grocery store fender bender, but will not protect a vehicle sufficiently in a 60+ mph head on collision with a 150-300 lb road rat. That being said, it may be better than nothing (e.g., protect your radiator or get a limb hung up so it doesn't roll up the hood and come through the windshild).

s

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a minivan? That my friend would be a first. Post pics if you find any.
Not quite a first. If you spend any time in NYC you see a lot of vehicles with them. I put them on mine front and read because I use my Ody as a Livery vehicle and I spend a lot of time in Manhattan. My concern, BTW is light contact like in parralel parking which everyone seems to do by the braille method in The City becasue space is so tight. Also, they just look good I think. It's a type of jewelery for the car.

Here are some pictures of mine before and after I installed the roof rack and splash guards.

ODY Bull 07.jpg ODY Bull 03 rear.jpg ODY Bull 06.jpg ODY Bull 08.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts